Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    What are you going to do on the inside walls, stud & sheetrock? I built a post frame on a local post frame builder's virtual build your shop tool. It looks like this type of building just has metal siding and the post framing.
    I am not going to do stud walls...that would just add back the cost that's gone from not stick framing. Horizontal 2x4 girts at 2' on center will hold whatever I decide to put on the walls very securely. The final selection for wall covering will not come until later because of cost fluctuations. One thing that will not be on the walls is ordinary OSB...I hate the stuff. With a passion. I honestly do not have any aversion to sheetrock as it's not my practice to screw things to the wall wherever and I'll likely use a cleat system for hanging things with the cleats centered over the girts. Because I opted for the laminated posts, the walls should be pretty darn flat and straight, too...it really makes a difference.

To help you visualize how interiors are often done for post frame, you might enjoy watching this particular RR Buildings episode from a few years ago that deals with that subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvzJna_SrwI

Interestingly, the material for cleats will essentially be free as I just got dibs to rip out all the #1 1x4 and 1x6 pine moldings from the "horror show" house next door that's going to be demolished in a couple of months. It's some of the little bit of salvageable material from the house...very sad that the previous owners didn't do any maintenance for...decades. A neighbor down the street who is a builder and his spouse (who is a Borough council member) bought the property to rehab and resell, but later discovered so much hidden water damage and other structural issues that it's been determined recycling, demolition and juet reselling the lot for more than they paid for the property "as is" is the best financial course. They really wanted to do something nice for the neighborhood, but "no good deed goes unpunished" was in full force. So if anyone wants a nice .375 acre lot and to be my neighbor...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-03-2022 at 7:11 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yesterday (Monday) I took advantage of the sunny day and used the laser to do preliminary elevations for the site to prepare for the groundwork. Yes, it's early for that, but it allowed me to get my mind around the task that will most certainly come in a month or two. "In general", I have a 12" pitch in the raw ground front to back, relatively evenly across the slope, so it's not going to be complicated to move things around to get level before putting a "whole bunch" of stone down, leveling and compacting. The goal is to get things such that fine tuning things on the inside prior to concrete will be "less work" than doing it all afterward, especially with a smaller building like this with access challenged to bring in a lot of stone after the fact.

This morning, the project coordinator for the building company stopped by to examine the site and we had a good conversation. He was a younger guy who spends a LOT of time on the road doing what he does after a building contract is signed...a recent Penn State grad so we had that to talk about, too.

I may change the overhead door to an 8' tall unit as I realized that if I use the Big Orange Power Tool to bring materials and tools in/out, the ROPS will not clear a 7' tall door frame and I do not like putting the ROPS down for safety reasons, especially when moving weight around. I'm not overly fond of even having an overhead door on the building, but it's the best choice for the access necessary from time to time and eliminates the time needed to build some kind of larger doors myself.
    --

Following along with interest Jim. At my stage in life, I'll likely not build a freestanding shop, or even move again, but it's fun to follow those that are. A few random thoughts: Would you consider a roll up door? I imagine they are a little more expensive than typical doors, but they don't require any tracks or allowance for the door in the up position, other than the small housing above the door. The cheap ones are probably ugly, but I'll bet there are nicer ones are out there.

What are the soil conditions....if you had trees removed, you have organic material in the ground that really should be removed before placing stone and the concrete to avoid voids later. I think generally the concrete guys recommend scraping off any top soil or other organic stuff before spreading the stone. Maybe that's overkill for a home shop. Also, if there is access to get the dump truck back there, those drivers are usually pretty darn good at spreading the load to minimize your work to spread, level, and compact it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, the issue with a roll up door is sealing and insulation. Those are standard on the metal buildings but if you've ever used a rental storage unit, you'll know just how much "fun" they can be. A really, really good roll up door that would sell well and carry a reasonable insulation value would likely be uber-expensive.

The soil has a lot of clay. The organics will come off before leveling as per normal for that kind of operation. They will be used for backfill and grading after the project is complete. It's not really overkill...it's kinda required. Once that work is done, about 15 ton of stone will be applied, leveled and compacted prior to the build. And yes, the truck will have to back into the area. I'm actually hoping that the demolition of the house next door gets "delayed" because that driveway wraps around the back of the structure and goes right to our fence. Bringing the stone in that way will mean less lawn damage. But timing is everything. I will not have the stamped plans for the building for another couple weeks or so. I need those to do the permit application. So I'm a month and a half or maybe two months before I can do the groundwork. If I can't bring the stone in from the adjoining property's access, it will have to come on the other side on the same path that the building components will be delivered via a Moffett forklift. The ground is softer so I can see some major repair work needed. I may bite the bullet and rent a bunch of protective pads to spread the weight. They are about $17 a day apiece and I'd need about, oh...a dozen or more...oy!
    --

I did change the overhead door from an 8x7 to an 8x8 to insure I had the headroom to use my Kubota for material handling should I want to once the floor is poured. It was a whole $250 difference and a no-brainer. One thing I will likely do is paint that door the same color as the wall steel (which matches the vinyl on the house) so there isn't this big, huge door thing to catch the eye so much. The man-door will be hunter green like the house door.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I did change the overhead door from an 8x7 to an 8x8 to insure I had the headroom to use my Kubota for material handling should I want to once the floor is poured. It was a whole $250 difference and a no-brainer. One thing I will likely do is paint that door the same color as the wall steel (which matches the vinyl on the house) so there isn't this big, huge door thing to catch the eye so much. The man-door will be hunter green like the house door.
    Why not build your own doors? sounds like you're gonna be waiting on plans and permits for a coupla weeks.... 2-4x8s should be an ez build. My son put some roll up doors in his new shop and 2 of them blew out of their tracks when we had some very strong wind. His homemade doors held up great.
    ...I have 2 roll ups here in the back of my studio and the front door is homemade12'x12' with a couple glass transoms.

A1CA9B6D-ECE6-4814-8A60-1FCF8F9F58B6_1_201_a.jpg 31130F45-E094-463D-B69D-4F6C3453E2B7_1_201_a.jpg A0A838C9-B133-40F0-A4DA-EE2166B06A87_1_201_a.jpeg

skin the metal door frame withe same wall panels you're using, light weight and ez to open!! btw don't take anything I say too seriously...I think I might be high on cold meds...

Lawrence, I considered building the doors, but it comes down to time and effort. And I'd not ever be comfortable building doors before having the structure to put them in nor to I have enough space in the temporary shop to do the build or a place to store them for months. Given I have to build out the whole interior as it is...so it's a "pick your battles" decision. I'm not in any way worried about the quality of the doors the builder will be using, especially in this area.

BTW, that front door on your studio looks great!!!!!
    --

Lawrence, I considered building the doors, but it comes down to time and effort. And I'd not ever be comfortable building doors before having the structure to put them in nor to I have enough space in the temporary shop to do the build or a place to store them for months. Given I have to build out the whole interior as it is...so it's a "pick your battles" decision. I'm not in any way worried about the quality of the doors the builder will be using, especially in this area.

"pick your battles"...I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    "pick your battles"...I like it!
    It really does come down to that when you're one 65 years young person who intends to do a substantial amount of work to bring the project to the end. I'm taking on the ground prep and the interior including all but the base electric service. I just don't have the "troops" to do the doors, too.
    --

It really does come down to that when you're one 65 years young person who intends to do a substantial amount of work to bring the project to the end. I'm taking on the ground prep and the interior including all but the base electric service. I just don't have the "troops" to do the doors, too.

whoa.. ???? you look so young in your photo. 65 and gonna tackle all that. My hats off to you Sir!

I was younger in that photo. LOL Late 40s/early 50s I think based on when I think it was taken at Gettysburg.

IMG_E9532.jpg
    --

fair enough.. this is me a week ago....148FFA63-152A-40D5-9D4D-5362CE893302.jpeg

I agree. Beautiful entrance, Lawrence.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    fair enough.. this is me a week ago....148FFA63-152A-40D5-9D4D-5362CE893302.jpeg
    I'll raise you a few follicles...

Jim-Hair.jpg
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I agree. Beautiful entrance, Lawrence.
    Thanks Alan. I like the way a traditional door seals out the weather. I have a couple roll ups in the back and when the wind blows they leak and rattle.... gets annoying quick. so far the best solution is turning up the music volume