Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

LOL ... lots of "good" screw retention advice.

-----

But seriously, I really do need to do some culling and organization. Some bigger stuff that will never get used here (extras from building the old shop out years ago and never returned to the 'borg) will get donated to the ReStore and some stuff will just get recycled. An example of the latter is a mishmash of Phillips head "crap" that I'll never use, small numbers of esoteric things, lots of drywall anchors in styles I'd never use, rusty reclaimed things in poor condition, etc. My goal is having all the things I actually use frequently be the most convenient to access and the rest being things I still use or will likely use. As a few folks pointed out, the 'borg and/or the local hardware stores are close-by when there's something I need that I don't have. Heck, Tractor Supply actually sells this kind of stuff by the pound. The advantage I have this time around is that I kinda know what I use whereas when building the old shop out over time, that was less strong.

Next steps for this wall is a bank of OmniWall surface that uses some of their accessories plus things I'm going to make custom for my own needs. I think I'll make another shelf unit like this first one, but for two containers for the other end of the wall toward the computer. I keep all of my CNC tooling in one of the same plastic drawer units and will add another on top for additional tooling and hardware storage.

Today, I'm getting back on the lumber racks now that the sheet goods area is serviceable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have drawers like that too, but can find what I need faster by driving the six miles to Ace Hardware. They have great fastener organization.

I do still have six of those organizer little drawer cabinets with hardware left from when I had a Hobie dealership in the '80's. The trouble is that all the paper labels have long since fallen off, so I waste a lot of time looking for something I need.

Tom, I use a label maker ... 'actually keep one in the shop. Most of the time, it's actually hard to peel off the old label. LOL In theory, these bins are for the things I would use frequently or at least commonly. Otherwise, hitting the hardware store makes sense. I'm much better about doing returns these days because it's a heck of a lot easier now...no need to dig through paper receipts as the 'borg keeps track of purchases pegged to a credit card number and I only use one particular card for purchases these days. That cuts down on the unused/unneeded things lying about.
    --

Yes, any time I return fasteners I tell them I can find them easier there than if I kept them at home.

I use those cat parts so seldom that relabeling everything would take longer than it's worth, or so I keep thinking.

My concern with going to the store is my trip to pick up 20 cents worth of fasteners will inevitably cost my 50 bucks. And when I get back with the fastener and its 1/4" short I have to go spend another 50.

Tom you must have a better HD than me mine has 2000 bins of assorted fasteners. Same with the plumbing sections

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Whens the open house?

YES! This is a great idea. Potluck style perhaps?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    YES! This is a great idea. Potluck style perhaps?
    LOL...Professor Dr. SWMBO joked about this very thing earlier today. But who knows, maybe I'll do something for locals at some point. The last time I did, however, it cost a bunch of people a lot of money because that was a "Festool-val" with "Uncle Bob" (Marino...when he was still in the business) back in the mid-2000s (thread here at SMC somewhere) and it was kind of a "you touch it you buy it" situation. Not because arms were twisted, but because folks liked the stuff and had to have it.

-----

Ahem...getting back to the matter at hand, I completed the physical construction of the vertical lumber rack this afternoon after a quick trip to the 'borg for a few sticks of wood. Rather than ripping a bunch of 10' 2-buy-whatevers, I chose to use standoffs and some simple 1x2 #2 common pine for the resting faces. The standoffs were slightly angled so that the faces were in-plan with the "lean". The angle and amount of standoff from the wall were calculated after the top and bottom were in place with a straight board put between them to measure things in-situ. The angled left end was built in-place. This all supports the boards so they stay put on the wall, but gives them full support so they will not bow from leaning. I may add a little more structure on the first couple of feet of the left side to better handle short boards. Otherwise, I'll add a little paint to the frame and base, but not the supports, and call this "done". One more thing off the list.

IMG_3626.jpg IMG_3631.jpg IMG_3633.jpg IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg IMG_3636.jpg IMG_3637.jpg IMG_3638.jpg
    --

Looks like you're making great progress fitting out the shop Jim. No guard on the saw???

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Looks like you're making great progress fitting out the shop Jim. No guard on the saw???
    I literally HATE a riving knife mounted guard, so for the moment, no guard on the saw. If I add one, it will be overhead and easily movable.
    --

For my fastener problem, I ended up obtaining a used GEMTRAC high density storage cabinet.
    This are all metal and and very stout (1200# empty).
    The system has opposed doors that pull out into a shared overhead track.
    As shown in the picture, I utilized a standoff pegboard so that there was negligible impact on my wall space.

I've been enjoying your shop build, We have recently retired and we are in the midst of building our retirement home...hoping to move in over the next few months.
    Moving the GEMTRACS was a challenge...laid on side and mounted on wood dollies so they could be loaded on truck via lift gate and moved out of the way during the various acts of construction.

Enjoy the journey!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I totally understand your opinion of a riving knife mounted guard. I think mined lasted a couple of months before I made the ceiling mounted guard and the auxiliary on/off station. Be careful until you get it.

Lisa, one of the nice things about using a slider is that the vast majority of the time, the operator is generally out of the "line of fire". But ultimately, my plan is for a generously sized overarm guard with dust collection to get the "splash" that comes off the blade.

-----

Today's activities included adding a little more support at the left end of the lumber rack for shorter material just in case it's needed (pictured below) and putting the "guitar bench" back to level. (not pictured) It was built when I was in the old shop which had a sloped floor and has a mechanism so that I could make it level, end to end, as needed. The new shop floor is essentially level, so I took out the slight slope using the two screwed designed into the base to make that possible. I also measured and planned for adding three drawers to the left side of the cabinet under that bench for additional storage. It's currently a cubby that was space for a (very heavy) guitar amp that I no longer own. Drawers are more valuable than a big empty space at this point.

IMG_3645.jpg

It appears that the big brown truck is delivering my ductwork components tomorrow so that's going to be on my plate "real soon now". Also preparing to tear down and move the lathe now that I'm done working in the back of the new shop area where it will be living.

------

On another note, I've pretty much decided that the majority of my clamps are going to go on a mobile rack in this larger shop. Putting them on a wall somewhere isn't as convenient in this space. The really long stuff plus the "extra/backup" pipe clamps will be wall hung somewhere, but the big stuff doesn't get used as frequently. Will also likely make a physically smaller stand for the miter saw...I use it rarely and while the steel Bora stand is very functional for construction work, it's a lot wider than is practical for the saw to be in the "tool corral'. I'll likely make something similar to April Wilkerson's design that has stuff that folds out of the way when not in use for a small footprint.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-13-2023 at 7:13 PM.
    --

Blog Entries
    The rack looks great and will be very functional for you without a doubt. In my space, I similarly have a receptacle behind a bunch of my lumber, and I found it was filling with dust and debris over time since I don't access/use that outlet very often. I ended up plugging it with a couple child safety covers.

For your really long clamps storage, perhaps something overhead/pull-down would make sense in your case since you have access to the bottom cords of your trusses. Then again, you have lots of wall space, so this level of effort may not make sense in your case.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Bob, I do have child-safety caps that will get installed on that particular outlet. I put it there simply to be prudent in case the design/needs change over time. I believe the long clamps will go on that short partition for the sheet goods area. It's available "wall space" and has the height to handle the two VERY long pipe clamps that I inherited from a friend when he retired a number of years ago.
    --

Got a few things accomplished today...

Did a position adjustment for the bandsaw to permit enough infeed/outfeed to accommodate any need to rip something "gnarly" with safety. It was turned back so the cut line is parallel to the rear wall and moved slightly toward the middle of the room for a little more infeed space. This change also allowed the drill press to slide more inside the cluster for additional working benefits including space to pass by it. This change also makes operating the blast gates easier which is nice.

IMG_3651.jpg IMG_3652.jpg

Also tore down the lathe so I can get that moved from the former "temporary gara-shop" to the new shop building in the next few days. It's too heavy to lift with the tractor fully assembled, but tearing it down as shown keeps things within the limits of the Big Orange Power Tool.

IMG_3655.jpg IMG_3654.jpg

Also took delivery of the ductwork components from Blastgate Company that are needed to complete the system...the big brown truck didn't show until almost 6pm, of course. I had a pallet ready and waiting in the driveway with a sign that asked for the boxes to be put on the pallet. Two of the four actually were. LOL

IMG_3656.jpg IMG_3657.jpg

Lastly...and no photo...I made and put up the supports for the main duct run that will go vertically up the wall so I can get right to assembling things. I may or may not need a few more doo-dads, but that will revolve around finessing the connection between the duct work and the G700.
    --