Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Yes, and that's kinda why I made the decision to stay with just the spray foam other than I may use some rockwool sound batt material in some of my sound abatement measures.

-----

Alan, I had high hopes for the "Mark N Guard" product from Buddy Tools and honestly, the product itself is excellent, well made, well designed and inexpensive at under $20. Unfortunately, my skills with a spiral cutter are poor and I gave up on the method after one board with two boxes and just moved to measuring, marking and cutting manually before putting up a sheet. I got the "hard wall" taken care of before stopping for lunch. (about 5 sheets) Folks who do it for a living are much faster, but working alone and working carefully is just fine for me. Using my old DeWalt screw gun is also a pain, so I'm just happily using one of my Festool CXS drill/drivers with the clutch set to do that work...it's lighter than the screw gun, doesn't have a "tail" to keep track of and just plain easier for the job at hand. No loud noise to interrupt the tunes, either, like the screw gun makes. I wouldn't do a house this way, but here, it's fine.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Unfortunately, my skills with a spiral cutter are poor and I gave up on the method after one board with two boxes and just moved to measuring, marking and cutting manually before putting up a sheet.
    Don't feel bad. The professionals that did my wallboard messed up the Rotozip step terribly on several outlet cutouts. You would think after a few hundred of them over time that they would get better at it. However, they did do in a few days what would have taken me weeks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes, and that's kinda why I made the decision to stay with just the spray foam other than I may use some rockwool sound batt material in some of my sound abatement measures.

-----

Alan, I had high hopes for the "Mark N Guard" product from Buddy Tools and honestly, the product itself is excellent, well made, well designed and inexpensive at under $20. Unfortunately, my skills with a spiral cutter are poor and I gave up on the method after one board with two boxes and just moved to measuring, marking and cutting manually before putting up a sheet. I got the "hard wall" taken care of before stopping for lunch. (about 5 sheets) Folks who do it for a living are much faster, but working alone and working carefully is just fine for me. Using my old DeWalt screw gun is also a pain, so I'm just happily using one of my Festool CXS drill/drivers with the clutch set to do that work...it's lighter than the screw gun, doesn't have a "tail" to keep track of and just plain easier for the job at hand. No loud noise to interrupt the tunes, either, like the screw gun makes. I wouldn't do a house this way, but here, it's fine.

I thought you had remembered the Blind Mark system that Jon Snider used for locating boxes. See Post #73 in his shop thread. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....d+mark+drywall

The first sheet looks good in the picture, and I'm sure the rest of it does too. That does seem like the best way to do the walls, and I don't understand why people hang it horizontally sometimes. I never tried the marker thing, but it looks handy.

I bought a used RotoZip to do the house here, and am still not very good with it. Sometimes I got a perfect cutout, and other times I messed up pretty badly. I found that with the plastic boxes I used the spiral blade will cut through the box if pushed too hard against it or moved too slowly, and if not pushed hard enough or moved too fast I can't always feel the corners of the box. It was always great for cutting out window openings, though, and I think if I had to do it more I might get better at the boxes. It was still faster than measuring and marking by hand, and while the errors were different they weren't worse overall.

Thomas, no, I had no recall of that alternative device and honestly, I also just couldn't get a feel for the "roto zip" type tool like Zachary mentioned, so I punted. It was just plain easier for me to measure and cut and then put up the sheets and I'm happy to say, there are not many perforations that are oversized and none in the wrong places. "Measure twice, cut once" was in full force!! LOL

----
    I had a productive day today...cheerfully listened to WXPN.org with a little Echo Dot (which sounded unbelievably good in that big space...which bodes well for when the big system is hooked up) and just kept moving along. This was the end result when I was ready to head in and cook dinner for Professor Dr. SWMBO and I.

IMG_3081.jpg

My friend Helmut is coming over tomorrow afternoon and I have little doubt that most, if not all, of the sheet rock will be up by the end of the day.

Oh, I mentioned above about using the CXS instead of the Dewalt screwgun. This little accessory is GREAT. Pretty much the "functional" equivalent of the screw gun and every single screw was set perfectly. The screw gun is going in the "excess tool" inventory for sure! The small tool is so much easier to handle, too.

IMG_3078.jpg
    --

My friend Helmut came over today and helped me complete all the major drywall work. Having a second set of hands was definitely more efficient, but we did have a bit of fun with the measuring. I gave him that job. Helmut is German, writes numbers a bit different (ones look like sevens, for example) and like a very large percentage of folks who didn't grow up in the US, isn't super comfortable using inches and fractions, which kinda comes into play with this construction work. I'm a metric guy for woodworking, but use the evil inches for this kind of work. But we got a rhythm going anyway after a few chuckles and knocked it out in a few hours. I have a few small things to do on the front endwall around the roll-up door and then will install the scraps up on the top horizontal structures so that my upper wall sound treatments will all be in the same plane. And that means the fun of taping and mud comes next. That shouldn't be too bad in this situation because other than too very short butt joints that were necessary at the platform which will hold the compressor over the Harvey G700 DC and some short ones above the person door, pretty much all the joints are factory recessed edges because of the vertical installation method for all but two of the 28 sheets of drywall consumed. (And I have two sheets to return for a refund)

IMG_3087.jpg IMG_3088.jpg

And at the end of the day...

IMG_3090.jpg IMG_3092.jpg IMG_3093.jpg

I "met" Helmut originally on a guitar making forum awhile ago. In planning for his retirement (which happened recently) he and his better half bought a small home near here and moved from a NY City suburb. He's a good woodworker, although mostly has done guitars and also does custom guitar electronics, such as pedals and amp repairs "for fun". Good dude. And I'm thankful for his help with this shop building project.
    --

The shop is looking really good Jim. I hope you don’t regret not applying a floor finish. Now would be the perfect time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    The shop is looking really good Jim. I hope you don’t regret not applying a floor finish. Now would be the perfect time.
    Thanks, Bruce. I have exactly zero budget for any kind of floor finish at this point. That was the trade off for doing the closed cell spray foam as well as the extra $1800 that the electrical service install cost due to escalation in material costs. So I'm not going to worry about it. Honestly, almost anywhere I will be doing much standing will have anti fatigue mats anyway.
    --

Looking great, Jim. You and Helmut seem to be able to make lots of progress working together.

Thanks, Bruce. I have exactly zero budget for any kind of floor finish at this point. That was the trade off for doing the closed cell spray foam as well as the extra $1800 that the electrical service install cost due to escalation in material costs. So I'm not going to worry about it. Honestly, almost anywhere I will be doing much standing will have anti fatigue mats anyway.
    Budgets are EVIL things!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looking good! Really a big help to have Helmut's help!

While putting up sheets myself wasn't all that taxing it was just plain more efficient to have a second person. He moved on to measuring "perforations" for the next sheet while I took care of screws on the newly stood sheet.

Bruce, you are correct...budgets are evil, but unfortunately they are a necessary evil sometimes.

----

I only spent about two and a half hours out there today in the later afternoon as I had some errands to run. All the 'rock is done other than the scrap along the top to space out "other things" that will get installed up there, but I'm going to do two small additions where I have the outlet for the compressor and for the air cleaner to provide a little neatness in the end. That will be shown eventually. I have two sheets left of the 30 I bought and they are going back to Lowes tomorrow...thirty bucks is thirty bucks. I bought the tape and mud, so once I'm cleaned up I can move on to that task.
    --

... I have two sheets left of the 30 I bought and they are going back to Lowes tomorrow...thirty bucks is thirty bucks.
    Jim, Is that $15 per sheet for 4'*8'*1/2", or 12'? Fire rated? 5/8?
    Mark McFarlane

Mark, 4x8x.5" lightweight. Not fire rated...not required for this application as there's no connection to residence. Non lightweight is less expensive by a few bucks but...nobody stocks it.
    --

MarkMcFarlane, this summer when I was buying drywall for the house it was cheaper for 5/8" than 1/2" in the 8' lengths at the nearest Lowes by a dollar or two.

Jim, The story of you and Helmut figuring out the measuring systems reminds me of once when I was helping at a local nonprofit putting blocking between the rafters above the top plate to keep squirrels out of the attic. There were a couple of Eagle Scouts who were helping too, and I asked them to mark and cut the 2x4s to length while I screwed them in since they weren't used to the screw gun. I gave them regular tape measures to use. I heard the one measuring call out "Nineteen and two thirds inches" and the one cutting said it back. The amazing (to me) part was that the board fit the hole when I got to it.