Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good studfinder?

Good studfinder?

I have tried many of the highly rated stud finders and am quite frustrated. I have some that work, until they don’t. It will definitely show me a stud, I move up and down a bit, still showing, drill a hole, nope, it was off by 3 inches. 95% of the time, they are great, but are there any really really really good stud finders?

I can't testify as to "really good"-- there are too many ways to defeat a stud finder, but this one from Franklin is hands down the best I've ever tried. (and I've tried many)

Even the pound a nail in every half inch method can be defeated by lath or furring

Totally agree that the Franklin is the best I've ever used. Ever since I've had mine it has functioned perfectly ever single time. If you need to use one often or even if you don't, the Franklin is well worth the expense.

The Franklin is made in USA and sold by Horrible Fright. IT IS BY FAR THE BEST.
    BILL D.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...der-57219.html

Not to pile on, but Franklin is ‘the one’

I use a rare earth magnet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-H-Hans...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one for the win. Not great on plaster, but neither are the electronic ones.

Another vote for the Franklin. Had it for about 15 years and has never let me down.

I use the Franklin as well. It has some trouble on my Rocklath walls, but still got me almost perfect on the stud when I hung my 55" TV. I do know approximately where the studs are, because the garage only has drywall on the other side.

I have an older Zircon Studsensor AC that has worked well (though not perfect). I also have a new Zircon Superscan M4 that also kind of works, but is somewhat unpredictable. I think the old Studsensor works a lot better.

It is expensive, but I have been wanting to try the Walabot:

https://walabot.com/

Many of the problems with studfinders are the unpredictability with different types of studs, crossmembers, and metal piping/electrical. The Walabot appears to be promising as it will show you exactly what is behind the wall.

Sadly, I have the Franklin, which I thought was good until the other night when it couldn’t find a stud in a wall that went up 6 months ago. Sounds like I am not going to get better.

wallabot looks pretty gimmicky in YouTube reviews. Oh well.

I have several from different manufacturers. If one doesn't work, another one will. There doesn't seem to be any predictability to what you're going to get until you put one on the wall.

The Franklin has worked pretty well for me.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Most of my use is with Sheetrock. I’ve found that the Studbuddy at Home Depot or Lowes for less than 10 bucks works the best. It’s just a couple magnets in a torpedo shape. Only finds Sheetrock screws or nails.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Another vote for magnets. That having been said, they don't seem to work as well with the smaller nails in lathe. Drywall screws it rules.