Thread: Epilog helix issues

Epilog helix issues

TLDR at the bottom

Aloha, from Oahu, please bear with me if I don't use correct terminology as I have recently been to be able to use an epilog helix 24x18 40watt. (Also, please excuse formatting on mobile)

So, I am in the navy and am in a maintenance shop that has the helix. This shop is also a full industrial wood shop that has been neglected for about 5 years due to nobody knowing or understanding how any of the equipment operates. Everything I am doing is self-taught through trial and error, YouTube, and tech manuals.

I have gone through, done a thorough cleaning of all mirrors, bed, crumb tray exhaust vents, cooling fins on laser, fans, and rails (lubed as manual states). I aligned the laser using the target covered with masking tape, red pointer aligning dot to where the laser hit then adjusting the mirrors as necessary for all 4 corners and center (was actually surprised that i could find the target) and am currently working on leveling the bed due to some spots being engraved better than others (specifically in the center)

This machine is hooked up to a stand alone computer (no connectivity to internet and not internet available to connect to) this computer is running windows xp (&#129315 service pack 3 with the epilog win32 driver 8.06 build date 31dec14 (like I said earlier, navy and neglected.....kinda go hand in hand) I use coreldraw9 version 9.397 (again very neglected)

I have been able to get some things engraved and some projects completed, though I am trying to get everything completely squared so I don't have to worry about doing multiple passes, using jigs for alignment. I have done the 1 square inch raster with 1 inch from top and side and had that dialed in correctly. So, I think I am on the right track until my issue arose that I can not seem to figure out.

I have a piece that I had previously engraved in 18x8.5. Machine engraved it almost perfectly, but for some reason, it wanted to vector the letters. I stopped the machine, checked my work in coreldraw, and nothing was selected to be vectored accept for the lines. So I went to go resend it again, but then it started engraving far off, to the point it almost ruined the piece (for labels, again navy stuff they don't care about perfection) again I went to do the 1 inch "home" test, which the machine was still aligned to, so I went to run it again. The same result, the machine wanted to engrave far off from where it should have started. I have not tried center center for that piece yet, but I figured I would ask for help from people whom are much more knowledgeable than I.

TLDR
    New to a neglected machine and computer, been doing all of the maintenance to it, to get it back in shape. I have an issue with one piece that was previously engraved but it wanted to vector letters, stopped the machine, verified work, reprinted and now it is trying to engrave in a different area. Didn't change any settings in between prints except deleting job from control panel.
    Last edited by Richard Everhart; 03-02-2022 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Adding a word

I do not know this machine specifically. But from other machines I have used. If might be an issue of the machine not returning to Home/Start of job. Job configuration might have it running from Current Position and if the stopping of the job did not rerun to the Job Origin it might have caused it to think there is a new Job Origin, throwing off the job. Whenever I have a job failure, I verify that the machine went to the Job Home or reset Machine Home. This would verify that the machine knows where it is starting the job from is the same as what the computer thinks. When ever a job fails it is tricky to get it to resume/restart successfully.
    A man can never have enough tools. Now where did I put that hammer?

Richard
    Welcome to SMC. There are a couple of things I would check with the drawing. 1. Using "wireframe" in the view menu take a look at the entire drawing and be sure to delete elements you don't want; 2. It is possible that parts of your drawing are in "red" hairline which is the default vector or cutting mode for most machines. 3. Take a look at "object manager" as it can also reveal the elements of your drawing.

I have found Alex Galvez does the best Corel tutorials I've seen. I use him often. https://www.youtube.com/user/alexisgalvez
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Richard

I have found Alex Galvez does the best Corel tutorials I've seen. I use him often. https://www.youtube.com/user/alexisgalvez
    Another great resource for CorelDraw tips and tricks is Doug Green. https://www.youtube.com/user/DougGreenAustin/videos
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Hello all, so sorry I haven't checked here in a bit I was kinda focused on getting it completed. So what I did is, I went through the entire cleaning checklist, took apart almost everything. Realigned the laser, leveled the bed, and squared the rulers. After doing all of that I went through and did the 1 inch squares randomly throughout some scrap, adjusted my X and y, and now she is running like a champ. I really do appreciate all of your comments and recommendations, and will definitely provide any feedback I can.

(Hopefully I'm not within bad standings like some people for not responding what helped fix their machines or how they were able to get it done.)