Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kolle Slider

Kolle Slider

I don't really know anything about the brand. How are these? Looking at a used one and curious if it is worth it. Seems like a beefy machine. Any info appreciated. Thanks guys.

Blog Entries
    Kolle is pretty dang good.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Actually during a lot of ease dropping on discussions of high end European machinery on this forum, lots of members feel Kolle is better than Martin. So in a nut shell, pretty dang good..

They made nice gear, but are no longer in business. A shop near here had one for sale at least in part because they were concerned about getting replacement parts for the electronic controls. A fully mechanical one could be good.

One I am looking at said it needs computer upgrades but fully functional... have to take a closer look but it's a formatic model and has the overarm controls... are any parts available anywhere? Are they totally gone?

I saw one on Woodweb in New England a few months back (might be the same one?) and it was a model with a fair bit of electronics on it. I don’t know the answer to those questions - but I’d say Kolle is on par with Martin in terms of build quality / engineering from what I’ve seen and read, so yeah, top of the heap. I am hesitant to invest in machines with heavy amounts of electronics, though and would really do my research and due diligence on what it would take to source and repair / program them if I were considering it.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    I’d be pretty nervous about anything with a computer that’s fairly old unless the components themselves are able to sourced directly from their respective suppliers or if you are willing to replace the whole system if need be.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’d be pretty nervous about anything with a computer that’s fairly old unless the components themselves are able to sourced directly from their respective suppliers or if you are willing to replace the whole system if need be.
    And you can get the software for the computer…..Rod

I'm trying to understand what the electronics issues are from them, it's a 98' machine and the price is right....they say that everything functions on the saw but the electronics need repair....I don't know if they've done work arounds or what....they also said they have a line on the parts needed....anyone here ever do any repairs or work on one of these beasts? It's also over 1000kg and is an 8.4kw machine....they said they were running it on a 40 amp circuit which means I will most likely have to upgrade something on my electric system not to mention add a convertor....they sent me a pic of the interior electronics panel, which is nicely laid out, but I can't believe how much stuff is in there....this is not an automated machine, what is all this circuitry for??????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    I'm trying to understand what the electronics issues are from them, it's a 98' machine and the price is right....they say that everything functions on the saw but the electronics need repair....I don't know if they've done work arounds or what....they also said they have a line on the parts needed....anyone here ever do any repairs or work on one of these beasts? It's also over 1000kg and is an 8.4kw machine....they said they were running it on a 40 amp circuit which means I will most likely have to upgrade something on my electric system not to mention add a convertor....they sent me a pic of the interior electronics panel, which is nicely laid out, but I can't believe how much stuff is in there....this is not an automated machine, what is all this circuitry for??????
    Likely a 40amp 3 phase circuit with it being a 11hp motor.

this is not an automated machine, what is all this circuitry for??????

Even on a manual European machine there are safety interlocks to ensure that access doors are closed, sometimes multiple kill switches, a scoring motor will have its own starter. If the saw has an electronically positioned fence or saw unit there's another level of complexity. If they have a "line" on a fix, why haven't they fixed it? Will the saw do the necessary without a fix? Better make sure you can get what you need up front. If it's just plugging in a circuit board that's one thing, if it needs hours of diagnosis by an electrician skilled in controls that's another story.

Does the photo they sent you show circuit board(s), or a batch of relays/contactors. If it is the later, you can often source replacement parts thru electrical supply houses. Make certain the manuals for the machine are available and include wiring schematics. Circuit boards are a different story and a much more likely to be OEM only.

Doubtful the circuit boards can be sourced with that vintage, most boards of that time and before would have been single purpose designed for that saw and not from commodity parts. If the saw runs and there is a workaround the failed electronics and you are ok with that fine but don’t expect to ever be able to replace the boards if that what is failed unless you know how to build them or have $$$…$$$$$$$$$$$ to have them made.

I would touch it a 1’ pole…or is it 10’?

Kolle are solid machines, I had one of their slot mortiser drills. Similar build to Panhans. Reibling company brought them in to the US after they lost the Martin dealership. They sold them for 2 or 3 years till Kolle went out of business. They had a big display of them at IWF around 2000. If the machine is in good condition they are a better build than anything Italian or Felder. Certainly would want to know what is going on with the electronics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Does the photo they sent you show circuit board(s), or a batch of relays/contactors. If it is the later, you can often source replacement parts thru electrical supply houses. Make certain the manuals for the machine are available and include wiring schematics. Circuit boards are a different story and a much more likely to be OEM only.
    From what u could see there was only 1 medium sized pcb, and then mostly repairs and distribution blocks.... they mentioned something about a chip but weren't very clear, but they also said everything works so I'm a bit confused ... coming out of what looks like a decent sized very clean decent sized cabinet company... if they didn't state the year I would have thought a 2010 machine based on the pics. It's appealing just need to make sure everything is working or ready fix before investing... about 3.5hrs away so not very very far