Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those vets that buy lumber at lowes

For those vets that buy lumber at lowes

Not that a lot of WW lumber gets bought at lowes, but I do occasionally get some plywood there, and lumber for jigs, shelves, and what is now my 5th workshop expansion. The 10% off has been noticeable in these crazy prices.

They're ending the military discount on lumber (and some other building supplies) march 9th.

It's a corporate decision, be kind to the cashiers! HD ended it for building supplies last year. 84 lumber, as far I know, will give a vet discount depending on who's behind the counter.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not finding anything official online yet.
    < insert spurious quote here >

It'll be the same was as the BORG rolled out the QR code thing: told no one, including the stores, and cashiers and customers only found out after they turned it on....

From a margin standpoint lumber has one of the smallest in the home centers. From what I understand, lighting and plumbing fixtures are two areas where they make a killing.

Holy crap Lowes profits have sky rocketed in the last 7 quarters up over 33% ! They took in over 95 Billion in 2021 ! And forecast a better 2022
    And there going to take away your 10% I think that's beyond disgusting I will not shop there any longer.

At least Home Depot still has their 11% matching rebate whenever Menards has theirs. As I understand it though it's only HD stores that have a Menards near by.

I'll be going to Lowes several times in the near future. Guess my lumber won't be discounted. Then again, why should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I'll be going to Lowes several times in the near future. Guess my lumber won't be discounted. Then again, why should it be?
    As a kind gesture to the service the veterans have performed for this country, that allow a company like lowes to exist? You think vet's shouldn't get a nod in the form of a discount? I also liked the "vets only" parking spaces they put up next to the pro parking spaces. Nice gesture.

I agree with Mr. Colson below. I'll add that i'd be willing to pay a little more so You could pay a little less--because YOU helped make it possible for me to do that. Same with my second son.

Thanks for Your service Johnny!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    From a margin standpoint lumber has one of the smallest in the home centers. From what I understand, lighting and plumbing fixtures are two areas where they make a killing.
    Yea, they probably only mark up 30%...so giving vets 10% off is going to kill them?

Granted I have no idea what the mark up is...but the point remains the same...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Yea, they probably only mark up 30%...so giving vets 10% off is going to kill them?

Granted I have no idea what the mark up is...but the point remains the same...
    Markup across the board for HD is around 50% (34% gross margin)

Thank you for saying what needs to be said. Glad that corporate America has decided that non disabled veterans should be treated like all other citizens.

As veterans, we aren't entitled to any kind of discount from anyone. But I appreciate the military discounts when I come across them.

I don't understand comments where fellow veterans feel entitled to some discount which was intended as a nice gesture. Lowes is free to do what they want as a private business.

To each their own I suppose. Freedom!

Spent July '65 to March '67 in Vietnam and I could care less about a “vets discount”.

I am more concerned with medical treatment and compensation for exposure to Agent Orange and the burn pits, where we burned the excess powder bags (along with gawd knows what else) from the 105 howitzers….

Home Depot revamped their Military Discount Program the first of the year . You have to go on line to apply. Prove you were in. Then down load their App. Then when you check out scan the QR code on your phone.