Thread: Another intarsia

Blog Entries

Another intarsia

Sweeping up. Pattern by Garnet Hall
    IMG_20220301_165011.jpg
    Dennis

That's neat Dennis!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice job on the clown Dennis, how many hours did it take?

Blog Entries
    Keith
    I would guess it took 30-35 hours. I had to make many of the parts several times to fit them in.
    Dennis

That is so cool Dennis!

Nice Dennis, did you use a scroll saw? If so, are you familiar with all the different blades available? I find them confusing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Nice Dennis, did you use a scroll saw? If so, are you familiar with all the different blades available? I find them confusing.
    I did use a scroll saw and I too am familiar all the different blades and find them confusing. I mostly use Pegas or blades from Mikes workshop. But to be honest I can’t tell you the difference between the two. When I bought my Pegas scroll saw there was a page included showing 75 or so different blade recommendations! It is a good guide,I guess I ought to take another look at it
    Dennis

Mark, I’m new to scroll sawing; recently picked up a used Dewalt from a fellow creeker. Yes, blades are confusing. Rather than try to figure out one or two blades for use, I just decided to buy a large variety. For my simple mind it came down to TPI and material thickness. I bought skip tooth and reverse tooth in TPIs from 28tpi to 9.5tipi - #2s, 5s, 7s, 9s and 12s. That should cover everything from thin veneer to 3/4” material. Basically, the thicker the material, the lower the TPI. Reverse tooth tends to leave a cleaner bottom cut when both sides will be seen. I figure I’ll be prepared for whatever I decide to cut.

I also bought #2 and #5 crown tooth blades for cutting out 1/8” plexiglass patterns - worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Mark, I’m new to scroll sawing; recently picked up a used Dewalt from a fellow creeker. Yes, blades are confusing. Rather than try to figure out one or two blades for use, I just decided to buy a large variety. For my simple mind it came down to TPI and material thickness. I bought skip tooth and reverse tooth in TPIs from 28tpi to 9.5tipi - #2s, 5s, 7s, 9s and 12s. That should cover everything from thin veneer to 3/4” material. Basically, the thicker the material, the lower the TPI. Reverse tooth tends to leave a cleaner bottom cut when both sides will be seen. I figure I’ll be prepared for whatever I decide to cut.

I also bought #2 and #5 crown tooth blades for cutting out 1/8” plexiglass patterns - worked great.
    Thanks for the information Phil…I have a fret saw & the blades are interchangeable.

Nice work Dennis! And I agree scroll saw blades are impossible to keep straight...
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra