Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection for Basement Shop - Seeking Advice/Suggestions

Dust Collection for Basement Shop - Seeking Advice/Suggestions

I have been weighing my options for dust collection in my small basement shop for way too long now. I have been considering an Oneida Supercell, Mini Gorilla, or the Grizzly G0860 with HEPA filter. I know these aren't all a direct comparison, and I am open to other suggestions. I will be using one tool at a time and don't intend to run ducting. I have been using mostly hand tools and plan to purchase these power tools for the shop:
    • Dewalt 735
    • Grizzly 17" bandsaw
    • 8" Jointer

Over time I may add more power tools, i.e. track saw, router table, and drill press, but for now this is what I am starting with. I am also constrained by my ceiling height which is 78" in one room and 79-3/4" in the other. HEPA filtration is a must since I am connected to the rest of the house. I would like to future proof this purchase the best I can, but want to keep the purchase under $3k (ideally less).I would love to vent outside but don't feel comfortable boring through our stone walls to do so. The basement is a walkout.

I've attached a few photos of the shop for context... I'm still putting down the floor. Thinking the small room will be for machines and I can sound-proof it eventually. Larger areas for bench work, joinery and assembly.

THANK YOU in advance for any suggestions and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the right side of your first picture, there appears to be a recess with a box of wood scraps standing in it.

I would put a DC in there, closet it in and soundproof the crap out of that room. Then install a couple of runs of either 6" PVC sewer pipe or 5" metal ducting to close to where you will use your machines. Vent that closet back into your working area, don't vent outside, otherwise you'l empty your house of AC or heating quicker than you think.

I think in the long run, you'll appreciate not doing power cables and flex hose, plus the soundproofing will stop a lot of the noise going into other rooms.

I would say if you're only going to run it to a tool at a time and wheel it around or the like then 3k is way too much...a cyclone would do better off course than a standard style but they'll do the trick just fine. Just be sure whatever you get has a canister filter you want something that's going to keep in as much of the fine dust as possible. Jet or laguna probably have good cost effective options for you(maybe Grizzly too) Oneida and the like are typically going to run ducted shops which I would definitely suggest if possible but if you're not going to duct it's overkill or not very practical.

Something around 2hp sounds enough... that said if you want to future period you'll need something bigger and do the ducting... but think about where you see what you're don't in your shop in 10 years differently and try to assess your needs based on that.

If you go the smaller roller style mentioned above you're under 1k with the larger premium options under 2k... if you go the future route 3k is fine but ducting can cost a lot depending what material and whether you do yourself.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Part of my work area is a basement room. I use a shop vac with a drywall filter bag and a pleated paper filter cartridge. It is minimal but filters the fine dust very well and can be taken outside to empty and clean. I reuse the drywall filter bag several times by opening the folded end, then re-close it with two wood battens.
    Your wood floor is a nice feature, I am jealous of that , nice windows too!
    Best Regards, Maurice

I would take a close look at the Harvey Gyro design. It is innovative, compact and has received good reviews.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 03-02-2022 at 8:18 AM.

The Harvey is an interesting design for basement shops, it doesn't require much height unlike cyclones. There are some threads here at Sawmill Creek about the Harvey. The built-in search function here doesn't work especially well but using a search string like "harvey dust collector site:sawmillcreek.org" on your preferred search engine should return something.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    On the right side of your first picture, there appears to be a recess with a box of wood scraps standing in it.

I would put a DC in there, closet it in and soundproof the crap out of that room. Then install a couple of runs of either 6" PVC sewer pipe or 5" metal ducting to close to where you will use your machines. Vent that closet back into your working area, don't vent outside, otherwise you'l empty your house of AC or heating quicker than you think.

I think in the long run, you'll appreciate not doing power cables and flex hose, plus the soundproofing will stop a lot of the noise going into other rooms.
    Chris this is a really interesting idea. That space is under the basement stairs and the only constraint I see is the height is 58" and width is ~32". Getting a two-stage system in there could be a bit of a challenge. It's relatively deep though. I could run the ducting above the laundry machines and into the adjoining room.

I'll definitely mull that over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    I would say if you're only going to run it to a tool at a time and wheel it around or the like then 3k is way too much...a cyclone would do better off course than a standard style but they'll do the trick just fine. Just be sure whatever you get has a canister filter you want something that's going to keep in as much of the fine dust as possible. Jet or laguna probably have good cost effective options for you(maybe Grizzly too) Oneida and the like are typically going to run ducted shops which I would definitely suggest if possible but if you're not going to duct it's overkill or not very practical.

Something around 2hp sounds enough... that said if you want to future period you'll need something bigger and do the ducting... but think about where you see what you're don't in your shop in 10 years differently and try to assess your needs based on that.

If you go the smaller roller style mentioned above you're under 1k with the larger premium options under 2k... if you go the future route 3k is fine but ducting can cost a lot depending what material and whether you do yourself.

Good luck.
    Thanks Kurt, I was wondering if going to something like a 5HP supercell is overkill for 1 machine at a time.. Which roller style do you suggest under 1k? I would love to not overspend, but haven't found anything too appealing at that price point. Oneida's mini gorilla and grizzly's G0860+(HEPA filter) are both $1500 before shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Part of my work area is a basement room. I use a shop vac with a drywall filter bag and a pleated paper filter cartridge. It is minimal but filters the fine dust very well and can be taken outside to empty and clean. I reuse the drywall filter bag several times by opening the folded end, then re-close it with two wood battens.
    Your wood floor is a nice feature, I am jealous of that , nice windows too!
    Do you use the shop vac with a bandsaw/jointer? From what I have read, it seems like I'll need a higher volume collector for the machines I'm looking at... But frankly if I can get away with a shop vac (or even Festool Extractor) on this 17" bandsaw then I may delay the jointer purchase, build a planer sled and call it good for a while. With the Dewalt 735's blower, I feel like I can get away with just sending the chips into a trash can for a while.

Thank you about the floor! Certainly a risk in a walkout basement, we'll see how it pans out. It was carpet beforehand, I had to do self leveling over the entire room to get to a decent flatness tolerance to install the floor, then went with a glue down install that was quite a mess and difficult to do properly. I'll have to post more photos once I get it sanded and finished.

Craig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    Do you use the shop vac with a bandsaw/jointer? Craig
    Yes but they are small. 10 inch band saw 4 inch jointer and 6 x 48 belt sander, also only working small items in the basement. I have a 2 hp DIY cyclone in the garage with minimal ductwork. The final stage is two needle felt bags. It is to dusty for in the house.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I didn't even think about the Harvey, that might be your best option. It'll do the DC part, it's relatively mobile, and from what I've heard, it's pretty quiet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    Thanks Kurt, I was wondering if going to something like a 5HP supercell is overkill for 1 machine at a time.. Which roller style do you suggest under 1k? I would love to not overspend, but haven't found anything too appealing at that price point. Oneida's mini gorilla and grizzly's G0860+(HEPA filter) are both $1500 before shipping.
    Honestly, I would probably go with jet....

Dc-1100vx - can be found about 940
    It's a 1.5hp machine and can easily handle any single machine and some more.

Dc-1200vx - same as above but 2hp for only 100 more...

Jxdc 1.5- if you want to splurge and get into a small cyclone it's basically the same type of machine as above but adds the efficiency of a cyclone style machine with easier drum removal about 1600

There are definitely other options, grizzly might have something, but I'm not very up on there line.

Honestly, I had a dc-1100 when I had a basement shop for over 15 years and never had an issue... in fact just sold it for about what I paid for it back then... kept its value well and did a good job.

If you're going to move it around and not run duct then this type of machine is perfect... shorter duct runs still good for 1 at time or 2 low volume machines, but if you're going to run long runs 20ft plus it might still be ok but you'll have to be mindful of where the higher volume machines go in the run. 5hp machine is great but from what you're describing overkill...

Btw, don't even dream about a jointer or planer on a shop vac.... just small edge jointing might be ok but wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    Honestly, I would probably go with jet....

Dc-1100vx - can be found about 940
    It's a 1.5hp machine and can easily handle any single machine and some more.
    I can't argue with that. I've been using a DC-100VX for the past 6 years. I have modified it into two stage and done a plastic dust bag mod, which reduced the noise by 7DB, but I use it with my Sawstop, Hammer A3-31, Onefinity CNC, Laguna 1412 Bandsaw, Hammer F3 Shaper, plus others, all via 5" metal ducting and 4" flex hose.

I often run my Sawstop and A3-31 simultaneously with two 4" ports open, no issues extracting.

I just spent the past month deciding on a new dust collector for my small shop (19X12 single car garage). What I ended up buying today was the Oneida Supercell.

It has a Hepa filter and is the smallest sized dust collector I could find. The width and depth are under 2'X2' compared to all of the other larger dust collectors out there. Not only is the size of the collector small but I now don't have to install a 7" or 6" main line to get adequate suction. The Supercell uses just 4" or smaller diameter hoses. After a lot of questions with Oneida on whether it will work with my tools or not I'm hoping this will be my last collector.

The noise level should be about the same level as my miter saw or sander with dust extractor. If I find it is too loud I'll try and box it in a bit with some sound dampening material. We will see. Now I just need to wait for a few weeks for it to show up.

Good luck with your decision and that's a great looking start to your new shop.

15. I have recently moved and my work space is in the basement. Before moving I sold an older Delta dust collector and now need something for the saw, planer, and jointer. I use one machine at a time and the current layout of the 12x24 space means the machines need to be moved to a work area in the center of one end of the shop. My default idea is an Oneida Mini Gorilla with a short hose in one corner of the 12x24 space. the living room is right above the sop and there is no insulation or other sound deadening material between the floor joists, so I also need to sort out longer term sound proofing issues.

The Jet looks interesting. But, if you have any 1.5hp or so dust collector and add something like a dust-deputy, isn't air flow affected enough o make a difference in dust collection? The integration of the cyclone into the mini gorilla or the supercell seem like a better idea. I've thought about the Harvey too, but I'm not sure if the additional costs means. enough meaningful difference in dust collection when used with single machines.