Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection for Basement Shop - Seeking Advice/Suggestions

Mostly a hand tool woodworker but have 14 inch Rikon bandsaw, Dewalt 735 planer, added a Ridgid 6" jointer from Home Depot recently. The Oneida mini-gorilla has worked for me. There have been some minor issues, check the thread on that, but all in all I am happy with it. Make sure your filtration on your HEPA is the best you can get. I do not recommend blowing chips from the Dewalt 735 into a trash can or a filtration bag from Rockler. My shop was filled with fine dust and I coughed for a year before I figured out the benefits of HEPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I would take a close look at the Harvey Gyro design. It is innovative, compact and has received good reviews.
    Thanks Kevin, I just watched some video reviews of this machine. Wow, it is QUIET. Building a bench/assembly table over it would be an awesome use of space. That really appeals to me, I just don't know if I can justify the premium over the Supercell. Looks like the price just increased to $3200 + 350 freight. Oneida is around $2600 (30 gallon drum) + 99 shipping, so a $800+ difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I can't argue with that. I've been using a DC-100VX for the past 6 years. I have modified it into two stage and done a plastic dust bag mod, which reduced the noise by 7DB, but I use it with my Sawstop, Hammer A3-31, Onefinity CNC, Laguna 1412 Bandsaw, Hammer F3 Shaper, plus others, all via 5" metal ducting and 4" flex hose.

I often run my Sawstop and A3-31 simultaneously with two 4" ports open, no issues extracting.
    Sounds like a reliable and powerful collector. And it has HEPA filtration... just no bin. I will definitely consider it. This is also small enough that I could roll it into the closet under the stairs and sound-proof that area..

EDIT: I previously said this didn't have HEPA, I was wrong.
    Last edited by Craig Meaney; 03-03-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    I just spent the past month deciding on a new dust collector for my small shop (19X12 single car garage). What I ended up buying today was the Oneida Supercell.

It has a Hepa filter and is the smallest sized dust collector I could find. The width and depth are under 2'X2' compared to all of the other larger dust collectors out there. Not only is the size of the collector small but I now don't have to install a 7" or 6" main line to get adequate suction. The Supercell uses just 4" or smaller diameter hoses. After a lot of questions with Oneida on whether it will work with my tools or not I'm hoping this will be my last collector.

The noise level should be about the same level as my miter saw or sander with dust extractor. If I find it is too loud I'll try and box it in a bit with some sound dampening material. We will see. Now I just need to wait for a few weeks for it to show up.

Good luck with your decision and that's a great looking start to your new shop.
    Thanks Joel, the footprint of the Supercell appeals to me as well, as well as the ability to run up to 100 feet of flex-hose and not lose suction. I'm trying to put everything on wheels as I may move to the back yard for long planing/sawing sessions to appease SWMBO. The ability to pull a run of hose through the door (or window) and use it would be good. I also don't own a dust extractor yet or shop vac, so it could serve that role as well. Rollie Johnson also extolled the virtues of this machine on the FWW podcast recently. The big drawback from my perspective is the noise level, so do let me know how loud you find it. I don't have sound insulation in the basement and our house is small/old.
    Last edited by Craig Meaney; 03-03-2022 at 1:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Russell View Post
    I have recently moved and my work space is in the basement. Before moving I sold an older Delta dust collector and now need something for the saw, planer, and jointer. I use one machine at a time and the current layout of the 12x24 space means the machines need to be moved to a work area in the center of one end of the shop. My default idea is an Oneida Mini Gorilla with a short hose in one corner of the 12x24 space. the living room is right above the sop and there is no insulation or other sound deadening material between the floor joists, so I also need to sort out longer term sound proofing issues.

The Jet looks interesting. But, if you have any 1.5hp or so dust collector and add something like a dust-deputy, isn't air flow affected enough o make a difference in dust collection? The integration of the cyclone into the mini gorilla or the supercell seem like a better idea. I've thought about the Harvey too, but I'm not sure if the additional costs means. enough meaningful difference in dust collection when used with single machines.
    My thinking aligns with yours on this. Mini gorilla and supercell have HEPA and cyclone out of the box. Harvey is an $800+ premium over the made in USA supercell. I'm in the same situation as you in terms of insulation and sound deadening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Mostly a hand tool woodworker but have 14 inch Rikon bandsaw, Dewalt 735 planer, added a Ridgid 6" jointer from Home Depot recently. The Oneida mini-gorilla has worked for me. There have been some minor issues, check the thread on that, but all in all I am happy with it. Make sure your filtration on your HEPA is the best you can get. I do not recommend blowing chips from the Dewalt 735 into a trash can or a filtration bag from Rockler. My shop was filled with fine dust and I coughed for a year before I figured out the benefits of HEPA.
    Thanks Mark, I think the Mini Gorilla is top of the list at this point. Sounds like the weather stripping has a limited lifespan, not a fatal flaw. I have been blowing chips from my 735 into a filtration bag outside and have noticed the fine dust pumping out of it, you're totally right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    Thanks Kevin, I just watched some video reviews of this machine. Wow, it is QUIET. Building a bench/assembly table over it would be an awesome use of space. That really appeals to me, I just don't know if I can justify the premium over the Supercell. Looks like the price just increased to $3200 + 350 freight. Oneida is around $2600 (30 gallon drum) + 99 shipping, so a $800+ difference.
    If you are at all interested I would watch the price. It tends to fluctuate up and down and regularly hits the $2500 range. At least in the past it fluctuated.

I have of late gone mostly hand tool but I still have power tools and use a shop vac with a cyclone that barely works for my DW735. I can't imagine a laundry room open to the shop. Before I went hand tool I would regularly turn on my shop vac but forget to attach the hose to the tool, what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    I have of late gone mostly hand tool but I still have power tools and use a shop vac with a cyclone that barely works for my DW735. I can't imagine a laundry room open to the shop. Before I went hand tool I would regularly turn on my shop vac but forget to attach the hose to the tool, what a mess.
    yeah we'll see how it goes haha... I have closet doors that I removed to install the floor that go in front of the washer/dryer.. but they're louvered. Hoping they keep the dust low, but I can see them getting replaced down the line.

I'll keep an eye on it for sure, thank you for the heads up.

Hey Craig, the Onieda looks like a nice machine, it seems to have a lot of power in a small package, but I would wonder how good its filtration is because a lot of filtration comes from surface area. With a little amount of air coming in, a little surface filter area is fine, but with a lot of material and air you need more surface area to filter that. I'm sure it's a nice unit, and it probably works well...but based on what you've stated your needs are, I still would assert that it's probably overkill, and you could easily spend 1k less and put that money into something else. The JETs mentioned will do everything you need and move around easily. They're also not a loud machine in my experience though every situation is different. I would also suggest if you are interested in the Harvey, keep an eye, as every week they have different prices.....literally. I've been very impressed with how they have managed to keep a very high level of quality for Bridge City Tools (almost as good, but still great service) so if they're machines are anything close to that level of quality then I would have no doubt that it's a great unit. I have never seen one for sale 2nd hand so I think people must like them who have them. It can be had for the same price as that Oneida, and they both have pros and cons, but I would still say both are overkill.....but hey overkill can be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    Thanks Joel, the footprint of the Supercell appeals to me as well, as well as the ability to run up to 100 feet of flex-hose and not lose suction. I'm trying to put everything on wheels as I may move to the back yard for long planing/sawing sessions to appease SWMBO. The ability to pull a run of hose through the door (or window) and use it would be good. I also don't own a dust extractor yet or shop vac, so it could serve that role as well. Rollie Johnson also extolled the virtues of this machine on the FWW podcast recently. The big drawback from my perspective is the noise level, so do let me know how loud you find it. I don't have sound insulation in the basement and our house is small/old.
    Hi Craig

I heard Rollie on the podcast too, definitely helped. What really did it for me was measuring the db of the machines I already have. My planner is way louder than the Supercell and even my festool sander and extractor are louder than it is.

I'd call up or email Oneida with your questions. They were very helpful answering mine and helping me determine which machine would work for my circumstances. I also got them to design the ductwork for my shop. The thing I hated about all my other set ups was the ducting and how none of the connections seemed to fit the first time around.