Thread: Bosch dishwasher stuck on rinse, will not start any other way

Bosch dishwasher stuck on rinse, will not start any other way

I like our bosch dishwasher, very quiet but... some times when I turn it on to run it says it wants to rinse for 9 minutes. Turning it off does not remove this and allow it to start a normal cycle. Only way is to let it sit overnight and reset or run the 9 minute rinse cycle then add soap and run a real cycle.
    All I can find is for when it gets stuck in the rinse cycle during a run.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Is there easy access to unplug the unit or drop the breaker for a few minutes?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can try a full reset. On newer models you just turn the machine on and then press and hold the start button for at least 5 seconds. Older models may require pressing and holding two buttons; the manual should explain. Once you have done the reset, the pump may run for a while to empty any water before it returns to the off state. You will likely lose any changes you made to all the programmed option settings.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I would try the electronic route first as the others suggest.
    Many times this is due to a water level sensor or check valve. Other causes can be related to water temperature.
    Once your issue is resolved you might try these
    https://www.affresh.com/products/dis...r-cleaner-6ct/
    Last edited by Edward Weber; 03-01-2022 at 10:28 AM.

resetting the computer makes sense. I will try it next time it acts up. worked fine today. waiting for a misstep and then will report back.
    I do not see how a sensor could be at fault. this occurs as soon as I turn on the power. It defaults to a rinse only cycle. Do you think it is trying to flush off a dirty sensor? I could see your point if this occurred during a normal run and got stuck in rinse mode.
    Bill D.
    PS: I have never added salt since it does a good job without it.

I'm no expert on Bosch dishwasher programming but many machines do a self test when you turn them on. If yours wants to rinse right away, maybe something like the drain valve is stuck open. When you power up, it senses the drain open and thinks it should be rinsing.
    Too many variables to guess at. Might be time to call a repairman who has the diagnostic tools.
    Good Luck

Not sure how old Bill's machine is, but newer Bosch dishwashers with displays have fairly extensive checks built in that will display error codes if any faults are found. They don't necessarily display at power up, but if any problems are found during a cycle the error code will display and remain on the display until cleared by a reset.

Bill, if your DW has the screen filter at the bottom, make sure you pull out the filter and check that's it's not plugged...and take a peak into the hole where the filter screen goes and make sure nothing is plugging it up.

And Ed's suggestion to run a cycle with the DW cleaner is a good one, especially if you have hard water.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    And Ed's suggestion to run a cycle with the DW cleaner is a good one, especially if you have hard water.
    Modesto's water hardness measures in the range of 224 PPM.

California water is considered hard to very hard. The average water hardness for California residents is 100-300 PPM.
    From > https://www.hydroflow-usa.com/california-water-hardness

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I live just a couple of towns up the highway from Bill and I can tell you the water from my well is hard. A water softener and/or filter is almost a must to prevent issues.
    It doesn't take much scale or mineral build up to cause some of the components in dishwashers and washing machines to fail.
    Hope you get it resolved

Happened again last night. Tried holding the stop/on button down to reset it, no change. I filled the rinse aide tank and it went away? This machine is probably 4-5 years old max. I will dig out the manual next time and see how to do a hard reset.
    Bill D.

On mine, holding the start button for 3 seconds, not the on/off button resets it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The issue is that the dishwasher is stuck in the rinse cycle and cannot be reset. The only way to fix the problem is to either let the dishwasher sit overnight or run the 9-minute rinse cycle and then add soap and run a full cycle.
    The issue is that the dishwasher is stuck in the rinse cycle and cannot be reset. The only way to fix the problem is to either let the dishwasher sit overnight or run the 9-minute rinse cycle and then add soap and run a full cycle.