Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baltic Birch Availability?

If there's money to be made, somebody will find a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    One alternative to Baltic birch and Appleply is this Columbia product https://www.columbiaforestproducts.c.../europly-plus/. Thin, void-free birch inner plies and a decorative face veneer in various species.

Another is Garnica Plumaply, a poplar veneer core product available in several different versions. The core layers are a bit thicker and not entirely free of voids but may be acceptable for exposed edge applications. https://www.atlanticplywood.com/brand/garnica/
    While this isn't my post - this is really helpful. As a hobbyist, I was wondering about these 2 options and my local retailer can get these in for me. Do you happen to know how much more expensive (percent wise) than you have seen vs the traditional Baltic/Russian Birch? Want to verify I am not being gouged. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tekin View Post
    While this isn't my post - this is really helpful. As a hobbyist, I was wondering about these 2 options and my local retailer can get these in for me. Do you happen to know how much more expensive (percent wise) than you have seen vs the traditional Baltic/Russian Birch? Want to verify I am not being gouged. Thank you.
    Sorry, it's been a while since I bought any. I think I paid about $150 several years ago for 3/4"x4x8 Europly. Birch faced Plumaply was comparably priced to similar Columbia products but with a better looking core. I'm sure prices have gone up.

Cabinetmaker neighbor across the street from our old property really loved the Garnica stuff and spoke highly of it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Around here appleply and europly are both close to $250 a sheet now I think. Highly unreliable finding it on the shelves too. I've never seen the Garnica in my area. I can't say enough about how much I prefer appleply over baltic birch. But... at almost an extra $100 a sheet plus no way to reliably get it I end up using BB most of the time which is still great.

Brian, in my area, Industrial Plywood carries Garnica. I'm guessing that some suppliers may diversify or change their offerings as the market adjusts to current realities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My local lumber yard was able to snag 2 5x5 sheets of 18mm for me, at $150 each. The supplier said they had 10 sheets total. I dunno where to go next.
    The Plane Anarchist

Picked up some today for my next month's work and tried to buy the following months too, gleefully got it right... Can't afford to go beyond that.

My supplier has about 20 sheets of each size and said they don't really know what's going to happen... so far they thought they may still be able to get some but we'll see... at least the price was the same as last month... which is only 2.5x about a year ago!

Just picked up 6 sheets at just shy of $200 a sheet. It has been relabeled "multiply birch" due to protesting threats over its name. 🤮

I talked to a supplier yesterday. He said it’s “off the market” and he has none. I asked about an alternative. He said appleply but it’s crazy expensive. I guess it’s mdf and venier in the vacuum bag for me.
    The Plane Anarchist

Yeah I think Appleply was $270 a sheet when I was there?

Mike — If you don’t mind me asking who is your local retailer? I’m guessing Fredrick Lumber company based on your location?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I have a home-based business that uses primarily Baltic Birch plywood 3mm, 6mm, 12mm that I cut and engrave with laser machines. I generally buy it by the pallet, so I use a fair amount of it. I'm down to my last 2 pallets so I'm getting worried. My question is, does anyone know of any type of wood with the similar properties as Baltic Birch when it comes to cutting with a laser. Most plywood including regular Birch plywood does not work. It scorches and burns badly and, in most cases, does not cut through. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Brad Raynor

ULS 460
    ULS 475
    Laguna 150w

Not sure where you are located, but Menards carries what they call Baltic Birch in 4x8s. It is a lower grade, BB/CP, rather than the BBB/BB that I normally get (got). I picked up a 1/4" sheet recently, and I really couldn't tell any difference from the regular Russian/Baltic 5x5s I get from my hardwood supplier (Industrial Lumber and Plywood), other than it was half the cost, probably because of the lower grade. It felt, machined, and worked the same, all the way to the smell of the burning glue from leaving it on the sander too long. They have 1/2" and 3/4", but those were special order, and I haven't needed any yet to order specially.

I don't know where it came from; it didn't have a country of origin. Talking to one of the building supply guys, I know they ordered a couple warehouses of building materials end of last year to ensure supply this year, so I don't know if they ordered Russian birch then and still have supply, or they have a non-Russian source.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Not sure where you are located, but Menards carries what they call Baltic Birch in 4x8s. It is a lower grade, BB/CP, rather than the BBB/BB that I normally get (got). I picked up a 1/4" sheet recently, and I really couldn't tell any difference from the regular Russian/Baltic 5x5s I get from my hardwood supplier (Industrial Lumber and Plywood), other than it was half the cost, probably because of the lower grade. It felt, machined, and worked the same, all the way to the smell of the burning glue from leaving it on the sander too long. They have 1/2" and 3/4", but those were special order, and I haven't needed any yet to order specially.

I don't know where it came from; it didn't have a country of origin. Talking to one of the building supply guys, I know they ordered a couple warehouses of building materials end of last year to ensure supply this year, so I don't know if they ordered Russian birch then and still have supply, or they have a non-Russian source.
    Yes, I have tried plain Baltic Birch, but it is not the same when trying to cut with a laser. Something in the glue makes it very difficult to cut without burning. So far mdf is all I found but it's weaker.