Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Baltic Birch Availability?

In my opinion, the obscene raising of lumber prices is organized crime actions/price fixing. Big stores are complicit, pointing fingers elsewhere. When I am in local HD, I no longer see lines of carts buying lumber - I put a piece of tape on edge on OSB sheet, 10 days later still there. Be patient and boycott, prices will tumble quickly. There is not a huge logistics nightmare, mostly strategic manipulation to steal your $.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    UPDATE: Just bought a few sheets from my local supplier. Had plenty of genuine, baltic-birch, 5x5 sheets, and expressed no concern about supply issues. Price is up, but not obscene. I paid $20 a sheet for 3mm and $79 for an 18mm. Double what it used to be, but compared to everything else hitting $150 - $200, this isn't terribly bad.
    USES: Templating for complex mirror glass pattern with the 3mm
    As always, 18mm is kept on hand simply for building shop fixtures and jigs.

I know one of our busiest stone countertop fabricators relies on 3mm for his templating - hot glues 2" strips to form the outline of countertop and wall fitting, and he goes through tons of it. He's not had any issues with supply as of yet. Sure, price is up, but what isn't?
    Maybe situation is not as dire as initially presumed...
    Jeff, where are you located? Those are amazing prices... I'm paying 92 for 1/2 and 106 for 5/8 and most people are saying that's amazing.... where are you?

Kurt,
    I'm in Western South Dakota. A part of me thinks my distributor keeps such a large inventory that this may be old stock, subject to another adjustment next time they re-stock(?)
    However, I really doubt it- every other sheet good they carry went up quite promptly with the national trend, so I know they tightly track the most current numbers on these commodities.
    Just interesting that these numbers are so much lower than your local supplier's, especially considering how far we are from the resources and ports. Because of this, it's not unusual to pay a little above national average on many products.

I'm in easter SD (Brookings) but with the price of fuel I doubt I could drive to far west to save much money. Butn it would be good to have a supply.
    The Plane Anarchist

Well, just got informed by my supplier today that whatever BB they have left, is all there will be. All imports on it (for them at least) have been stopped. What's left is selling for $230 a sheet and should be gone in the next few months.

Same here; my supplier said they would not get many more shipments. Their current price is $105 for a 3/4", 5 x 5 sheet. He said their major customer is looking at Eucalyptus plywood as an alternative.

John

Yep, got the same answer yesterday from my favorite plywood supplier. Was looking for prefinished 1/4" BB. The buyer at Woodwerks said it was going for about $75 a sheet (5x5) a couple weeks ago when it was last available.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher