Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice: Used Steel City 18" (50250) bandsaw vs new Rikon 14" (10-326 or 10-324TG)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    SC wheels were cast iron, spoked though not solid disks. Two h.p. motor. Double tension springs, yes two.I did not Resaw a lot but did cut up 10 or so pieces of tree trunks between four and eight feet long. I mostly left a 4tpi 3/8'' wide band on this one as I had purchased a 540' coil on" the Bay". I have no experience with the Rikon except for a real good long hands on look at Lee Valley's show room in Calgary. I was quite impressed with this machine ,it has a lot of real nice features. I would say the fence on the Rikon is a better one. For me it would come down to budget and how long you would have to wait for the Rikon. Either saw will be an excellent general purpose machine and capable of a reasonable amount of Resawing. If you were going to resaw all day every day then you would want more machine. Rikon has a great fence, SC has 18'' wheels pick your poison.
    Not sure what Rikon saw you're familiar with, but my fence sucked. I even contacted Rikon and they replaced the fence. The second one sucked too. It was virtually impossible to get the fence lined up properly. It's the one component of the saw that I was completely dissatisfied with. I finally just bought a Carter Magfence and that works great. I can set it anywhere I want fast. There are no problems getting it essentially square and I can use the fence on any cast iron table in addition to the saw. Maybe the model you have is newer than mine and Rikon made improvements.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 03-02-2022 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Responded to the wrong post

Randy if you had ever seen the factory fence on the Steel City you would agree with me. I have no experience with the Rikon 10-326 and stated that in my post. My "experience " consisted of a very long hands on exam of this saw at a Lee valley store in Calgary. The fence on that Rikon was definitely a better one than the factory Steel City.

I think Rikon’s new fence just may be the best in the industry.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-920

Lots of satisfied customers with this one designed by a wizard of bandsaws.

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/cuttin...e/KMS7200.html
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 03-03-2022 at 8:05 AM. Reason: link fixed

I would beg to differ that the easy to make square rail is possibly a better design.
    Maybe something like on this video, shows some wooden blocks for jigs, but illustrates the simplicity, and might inspire further additions like outfeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUoHHdLex0

Here's why I think a lift off style might be handier, which might be complicated further should one be crosscutting whilst table tilted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike ,

I guess I misread your post

Welp....the Steel City went to someone else that called before me. Long story short: seller was helping wife of a friend (who had passed) sell it, but she was out of town for a few weeks. So he fielded calls, and once she got back he called people in the order they called him. I was relatively early but not early enough.

So...onwards. I now see a local Laguna (Meber-made) LT16, from about 1996. Asking $1K, figured maybe could offer $750. 1.8hp motor. Seller says it has under 30hrs of use she'd guess as it was her dad's and he just didn't use it much. Kinda worries me about a tool sitting idle for 25yrs. Is this a better spend than $1,500 on a new Rikon 10-326 (14-inch saw)? Rikon would have a warranty and newer features, etc. Again--general woodworking here, not loads of resawing (though that is something I'll do some).

Kinda leaning towards feeling like this one is too much for a saw that is too old. But it's evidently Italian made..and part of Laguna's former industrial line? Is it better made than a new Rikon? Weight seems similar at about 290lbs.
    ###
    I have no idea what I did wrong, but as long as I don't do what I did, I'll be good to go.

For clarity---spending $1K or less is preferable. But not if it's gonna be a bad decision in the long run. I expect either saw can do what I need, frankly. But if the older one will have loads more headaches, that's an issue. And the 5yr warranty on a new Rikon is pretty nice to have.
    ###
    I have no idea what I did wrong, but as long as I don't do what I did, I'll be good to go.

James you just keep finding really decent saws. When I was searching for my big saw (Centauro CO 600) Meber's were on my short list. Good Italian made saws. I am no Italian saw expert but have learned enough by seeing a 36'' Meber my one friend used to own and owning the Centauro that I rate any Italian saw as desirable above most anything else. I have not seen this saw in person but it is 16'' wheels compared to 14'' and that price looks decent to me. Why not go check it out ,take cash and go in a vehicle that it could come home with you. If you search here in the forums I am sure this saw has been talked about.

Bigger wheels and Italian, no question.
    Why, likely more features which are hidden, rather than the bells and whistles which maybe a gimmick or not depending on use.
    There is likely adjustment of the carriage for the upper wheel left or right, as well as for depth of wheel.
    That's a plus for the weary or the frugal
    Tool and hassle free euro guides
    Likely beefier screw and carriage, just incase you think a 1" blade would be suitable, it's likely not and 3/4" would likely be the sweet spot for the Italian machine regardless of manufacturers claims, is any14" saw even honestly capable of a 3/4"?
    Just heftier parts designed as they were and still are in industry, mostly unchanged since the late 80's, and most of the parts are interchangeable with other makers,
    Nearly about 20 Italian manufacturers in all making bandsaws since then, incase parts are of concern,
    and those Italian castings are likely more trustworthy to boot.

All the best
    Tom

I have a Bulgarian made 14” Laguna from 1994, with ceramic guides. Baby brother to the 16” Meber. It’s a solid saw, but I’d move up to the 16” Meber version in a heartbeat.
    earl

"Rikon would have a warranty and newer features, etc."

you keep bringing up the warranty on the Rikon
    School where I work bought a new Rikon with variable speed, etc. all fancy with less than 4 hrs. use the drive pully fell off with the center hole wobbled out badly. I opened it up and found this October 2021, still waiting on parts. When contacted Rikon for warranty was told no parts available in USA and no idea when they would be available. Still waiting, kids not able to use a BRAND NEW MACHJINE WITH "FANTASTIC WARRANTY"
    Rather have an older machine that generic parts will fit.
    good luck
    Ron

Are you trying to tell us that Rikon has some sort of custom machined pulley ?

So...onwards. I now see a local Laguna (Meber-made) LT16, from about 1996. Asking $1K, figured maybe could offer $750. 1.8hp motor.
    I believe there were two Laguna 16" band saws, LT16 and LT16HD. I haven't used either and don't really know the difference. There is one factor and no one has mentioned so far. Thicker band saw blades (.032") may have shorter lives on 14" wheels due to fatigue cracking from bending around 14" wheels. This should be less of an issue with larger diameter wheels. Most carbide tipped bands are thicker.

I have a Rikon 10-325 14" and am happy with it but I never considered a carbide blade until I discovered that Lennox makes a 1/2" Trimaster with .025" thick band, same thickness as common steel tooth blades. I bought one but haven't used it beyond mounting it to try it out. Something else to consider in your search.

Great advice all. Seller agreed to $750 so I'm gonna go check it out. At half the price (essentially) of a new 14-incher, I feel like it's a pretty good deal. And as I've noted I'm not exactly likely to stress the limits of either machine. I am a fan of going with a very solid core/build over bells and whistles.

I was half-tempted by the Rikon at buymbs.com, which has them in stock (ships next day) and has 8% off and free shipping, making the total about $1,453 with tax. Not bad. But the 16LT at $750 feels like the right move.

I'll post again once I take a look and (hopefully) bring the old gal home!
    ###

Quote Originally Posted by James Dudley View Post
    Great advice all. Seller agreed to $750 so I'm gonna go check it out. At half the price (essentially) of a new 14-incher, I feel like it's a pretty good deal. And as I've noted I'm not exactly likely to stress the limits of either machine. I am a fan of going with a very solid core/build over bells and whistles.

I was half-tempted by the Rikon at buymbs.com, which has them in stock (ships next day) and has 8% off and free shipping, making the total about $1,453 with tax. Not bad. But the 16LT at $750 feels like the right move.

I'll post again once I take a look and (hopefully) bring the old gal home!
    Good deal. I would probably make the same choice. Just bear in mind that if you do come home with it, pictures are required not optional.