Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice: Used Steel City 18" (50250) bandsaw vs new Rikon 14" (10-326 or 10-324TG)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Are you trying to tell us that Rikon has some sort of custom machined pulley ?

Brand new machine under warranty I was not allowed to go any farther once I identified the problem and it was turned over to another person who contacted Rikon to request a replacement part under warranty. Answer was none available in the USA and would have to look into finding a part. This was last October, no replacement pulley yet.
    So you tell me how good is their warranty?

Ron

Parts availability is an issue across multiple industries. It's hard to replace what you don't have.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by James Dudley View Post
    Great advice all. Seller agreed to $750 so I'm gonna go check it out. At half the price (essentially) of a new 14-incher, I feel like it's a pretty good deal. And as I've noted I'm not exactly likely to stress the limits of either machine. I am a fan of going with a very solid core/build over bells and whistles.

I was half-tempted by the Rikon at buymbs.com, which has them in stock (ships next day) and has 8% off and free shipping, making the total about $1,453 with tax. Not bad. But the 16LT at $750 feels like the right move.

I'll post again once I take a look and (hopefully) bring the old gal home!
    Sounds like a smoking deal
    Get after it
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Sounds like a smoking deal
    Get after it
    Ron
    Checking it out Saturday, it's on hold for me until then. Looking forward to it!

Again--appreciate all the feedback, very helpful.
    ###
    I have no idea what I did wrong, but as long as I don't do what I did, I'll be good to go.

James, for your comfort, I have had two Meber saws and think very highly of them. The first I restored (cosmetically) and then traded with a friend for the same saw unrestored + lumber. I fixed that one up too, but sold it when I left woodworking* ten years ago.

* Now I am back, but with a 1976 Agazzani 24” etc etc.

The Italian saws are all very robust. You might need a new belt. Pfft. Maybe guides, but you can go to Carter for those. Or Laguna ceramics. Bearings are all commodity sizes and inexpensive. Urethane tires easily had. Apart from that it's rust removal and paint maybe. Then get a couple of good blades and some kind of work light, maybe a mobility base. No looking back.

A 16” saw is probably the sweet spot for a hobby shop. A 16” italian saw can be your forever saw. I wish I had one to go with my 24”.

Greg

On edit: my experience with bandsaws is limited to a 1970 Delta 14” pos, a big Oliver, the Italians and a big Barker. The Italians? Molto bene.
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 03-31-2022 at 4:46 AM.

Update: Got the saw and brought it home. It's really in great shape! Table was fairly easy to remove, which helped loading of course and helped avoid any issues with tweaking the trunions while traveling (90 minute drive home). I got it all cleaned up and did an initial setup, though as I've been watching more videos I've learned more tips so I've got some more work to do (or at least check). Did some initial quick cuts and the thing cuts really nicely. Motor sounds great, very quiet. Had to put a plug on it (it was hardwired into their panel) but that was easy enough.

Really, really appreciate all the feedback here and guidance. I think I ended up with the best option of all--cost less than the Steel City, and while I'm sure that's an excellent saw, at 18 inches it's even larger and likely more than I need. Glad I didn't go new, this one feels about like new even though it's got some years on it. '

I'll get a pic and post it, but thanks everyone!
    ###
    I have no idea what I did wrong, but as long as I don't do what I did, I'll be good to go.

Sounds like you ended up with exactly the saw you need
    Good luck with it
    ron

Ha! Isn't life funny.

I just got a txt from the guy selling that Steel City bandsaw. The lady that owns it is back from vacation, and he said it's mine if I want it. Given that I had called/texted him several times w/no response, I assumed it was gone. He said there were several people in line in front of me to check it out once she returned and he had access to the saw again.

So either those people passed or something, I don't know. But I feel like I ended up in a better place--great saw at a lower price point that'll handle everything I'll throw at it. And maybe it's pointless and maybe not, but for whatever reason I like that i have an Italian-made saw as opposed to Chinese, though both are quality pieces of equipment.

I dunno just found it funny.
    ###

Steel City was made in Taiwan. You did end up with the better saw though. Where are the pics ?

###

I don’t think I have permissions to view the pics. Did they upload correctly?
    ###

James ,yes the pics showed up. Real nice looking saw you ended up with there, hope you enjoy it. If you become a contributor you will be able to see pictures. It is only $6 a year to join. Just go to the top of the page and hit "donate".

Quote Originally Posted by James Dudley View Post
    I don’t think I have permissions to view the pics. Did they upload correctly?
    To have access to photos, private messages and the Classifieds, you will want to become a Contributor...which is a whole six bux per year. Click on the "Donate" button up at the top of the page.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m in the club!

Advice in this thread alone was worth the $10 donation. Thanks fellas!
    ###