Thread: Clock face hour markers

Clock face hour markers

I know, I can really procrastinate on the smallest things. What’s your preference; maple/black for 12, 3, 6, 9 with other hours marked with small maple only, or maple only for all hours (12, 3, 6, 9 being larger). Or I could go black only for all.

014E95D4-08BF-4F5E-881A-7DBE25C0C66B.jpg or 320CC0BD-6295-43D3-811A-792859C6DF61.jpg

I guess you could also vote neither. But at some point I’ve just got to get on with this thing!
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 02-27-2022 at 9:30 AM.

Since the hours are arguably the most important element of the design (it's a clock after all) and considering that they are markers and not numerals, I'd vote for black/white or only black for all to give them emphasis at least equal to or greater than the other design elements. Possibly white/black for 12, 3, 6, 9 and smaller only black for the others.

My personal preference would be the light maple for all markers. IMHO, the burl background is dark enough that the black marker is not as prevalent as the maple marker. Having said that, the msple will darken a bit with time. The burl background is a toss up of what it will do with time. But it should darken a bit with finish. Maybe a good test would be to hit the burl with mineral spirits and then compare the black and maple against it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

My vote is what you show in the first photo
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

With all the detail in the center and at the corners, I'd keep the hour markers simple - either solid black or solid maple. My preference is the maple.

Solid maple - I want to see the markers. And the asymmetry of the black/white combination is confusing me

I like the all one color . That “two-tone” (12-6) looks “non de plumb”. But ,strangely I do like those melting , surreal looking clocks !

Thank you all for your replies! Looks like single maple is the favored look. Will stare at it some more and do some mineral spirits tests, but that is probably what I’ll go with. Appreciate the second opinions a lot!