Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Laguna 18/36 - yay or nay for beginner?

Having the bed extension and tailstock and tool stock risers as a kit is best value for buck in their accessories, followed closely by their lights; I have two of their lights. I also have the 24-36, which is a different kettle of fish, the 18-36 feels like a midi lathe by comparison. That said the 18-36 would be my mid lathe choice as its functionality is just great; a real lot of thought has gone into the design.

Another advantage I have used twice, is to place the bed extension in the front sticking directly towards the turner. In this position, one slides the headstock down a bit and with the tool rest placed onto the 90º placed extension, one can turn a full sized bowl rear without having to remove the bowl blank from the chuck or faceplate. The bed extension can be attached in five positions.

The diagonal of that rough blank is approximately 900mm, the lathe is running almost at its limits; so was I.

Mick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's one big popcorn bowl! I want to see when finished please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    That's one big popcorn bowl! I want to see when finished please.
    Rather unfortunately that blank became four cored bowls, of which three survived; one cracked up, or should I say, knotted up...

They are long gone and I cannot find any pictures of the finished bowls, but here are the three surviving cores about two weeks after being cored.

The little mallet is for some reason there, nothing at all to do with the bowl blanks; I did a few of them one Christmas for nieces and nephews children.

Cored_Blank_Three_From_Four_Web.jpg

The size of the lathe has nothing to do with learning to turn. And no matter how large the lathe is, there is really no limitation on how SMALL you can go. It's the other say around: if the lathe is on the small side, then you will be limited in how large a piece you can safely turn. I believe the Powermatic "mustard monster" is one of the best lathes for the money.

So I had my heart set on the 2hp model but it won't be available until some time in June. The 1.5hp model is available now. What do you guys think?

I have the 1.5 model and it turns anything I put on it with ease.

Excellent, thank you Barry. And to everyone else that helped...

I "think" I'm pulling the trigger today, just have to overcome that last bit of hesitation. Also, I got a call from woodcraft a couple of days ago saying they had an opening in a 3 week class (1 evening per week) which is awesome since they weren't supposed to have openings until July. Serendipity.

If the 1 1/2 hp one is 220 volt, it should serve you well. If it is 110 volt, then it won't have enough power for lots of heavy bowl turning. It would be fine for some general bowl turning. 2 hp and 220 volt would handle just about any bowls you put on it.

robo hippy

Hi Reed, the 1.5hp model is a 110v, however, it's a single phase machine (obviously) with a vfd that converts to 3 phase. I've been reading that its pretty solid.

Trigger = pulled. I went with the 1.5hp 18/36 and looks like they're shipping immediately.

I'm sure you will be very happy with it.....