Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18/36 - yay or nay for beginner?

Laguna 18/36 - yay or nay for beginner?

Looking to add a lathe to my shop. I'm an experienced woodworker with no experience turning so first lathe and I'd be learning on it.

I've shopped around and all the lower priced machines fall short in one spec or another and I'd like to only buy once. I'm almost settled on the laguna 18/36 but I'm concerned this may be too much machine to learn on. Can I still do small cabinet knobs, etc on a big guy like this? Any challenges I would face and is there anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance guys,
    Job
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I upgraded to the 18/36 a few years ago and it's a great lathe. I does as big as I need to turn and there is no problem doing small pieces as well . I've turned things like a wine goblet that can sit on a dime...

Thanks for the feedback...I almost want to get a 12/16 to start on (maybe its the intimidation factor) but I'm afraid I'd outgrow it too quickly.

If you've done your homework and decided that's what you want, get it. You can do small work on a large lathe but not the other way around. Two other lathes in the same range you might consider (probably already have) are the Grizzly G0766 and Jet 1840.

If you join a local turning club you can probably try out a few different machines as well as find a mentor (hands-on instruction is best).

That grizzly is a monster but I'm thinking the laguna would offer better build quality... almost the same sentiment on the jet, which is priced a little higher. I actually almost considered the g0838.

And unfortunately, I've not found any type of turning club or similar locally. Going to have to depend on online resources (can't wait to start that research...). Not even sure if I'll try out traditional gouges or Carbide tools first yet. Lots to learn.

John -- Do not be intimidated by the shear size of the 18/36. A large lathe will turn anything that a small lathe can. The reverse is not true. In fact, in some ways, a larger lathe is easier to learn on than a small lathe. The greater weight, larger spindle and bearings, and wider/longer footprint all translate into greater stability and less vibration. Less vibration makes it easier for the turner. Think of it this way, if you were to teach a newbie how to use a table saw, would you prefer the newbie learn on a full-size cabinet saw or a compact job site saw? The cabinet saw would offer a more stable work platform, making it easier for the newbie to concentrate on the saw's operation. The same holds true with large v. small lathes.

I'm NOT dissing small lathes. Many are a joy to use. I'm only making the point you don't need to be afraid of large lathes. They're actually (slightly) easier to use than their smaller siblings.

As to the Laguna 18/36 lathe, it should serve you well. When I upgraded last year from my 16" swing lathe, I went with the Powermatic 3520C because I wanted the larger swing. YMMV.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I learned online and on my own. It's very doable.
    I have the 18/36. It is not too large for a beginner - especially if you plan on incorporating some turned legs or spindles in some of your furniture. In that case you'll appreciate the longer bed than the smaller swing lathes give you.

As far as the quality of this machine, it's good. I've had no problems with it. There are some minor quirks (it's lower than other lathes, the indexing pin doesn't lock) but major perks (convenient tail stock storage, good accessories like the mobility kit, swing away bed, lights, sliding headstock).

It's a good machine that will grow with you.

This is all great information, thanks everyone...I feel a little less intimidated now. And the tablesaw comparison was great.

You have some good information in the previous posts. I am also self-taught, about 50 years ago, and retaught about 15 years ago. Get hands on instruction if you can, but don't be concerned about starting off on your own. There are a lot of good books and videos out there. I turn on a midi which meets my needs. I would consider the space you have for the lath and if you are likely to turn table legs or bowls.

It is a very popular lathe. You can turn tiny things on a bigger lathe, and if you aren't breaking the bank, get it. If nothing else, it will have good resale value. Do find the nearest club and attend meetings. You can usually find mentors and even used tools.

robo hippy

Too bad there isn't a club nearby. If you give your location maybe someone here is close and would offer lessons. You could also post on the AAW forum (you don't have to be an AAW member, though you may find that worthwhile). I am largely self-taught, but I would have learned faster and better with some personal instruction early on.

There are a lot of videos available, though you have to use some judgment as to which ones are worthwhile. Some I have found helpful are by Lyle Jamieson, John Lucas, Al Hockenberry, Brian Havens, Robo Hippy and Alan and Stuart Batty.

Be prepared to invest as much (over time) in tools and accessories as in your lathe. Don't ask me how that happens.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-27-2022 at 1:39 PM.

I'm in northern NJ, Warren County. I think there's a club about an hour and a half away and they meet once a month (usually)... I'll look into that one a bit more.

Any recommendations on chucks would be great also. I know I need a 1 1/4 × 8tpi but not sure where to go from there.

I have 2 supernova chucks one with the medium sized jaws, one with a jumbo set. I’d recommend buying just one chuck for now with medium jaws. Then buy more jaws when you want to go bigger or smaller; you can swap out the jaws on this chuck. If you ultimately get tired of changing the jaws, you can buy a second chuck. But to start only one is necessary.

For knobs you should probably get a set of “pin jaws”.

What are you doing for sharpening?

I use the Oneway Talon Chuck from Lee Valley with various jaws including the Jumbo Jaws