Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low-tech and low-cost solution for clamping stock on sliding table saw

That's good to know. I thought it was newer since you said SCM, but it must be an SCMI. I've got a '91 SCMI wide belt for which I've been able to get 5-6 special parts for. Maybe I should plan on retiring it in the next 10 years.

It seems odd that something so simple like a "miter" track clamp would be defunct.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Lol, SCM before it went to SCM(I). They have come full circle and are now back to SCM. I think the “I” was added sometime mid-late 80s but others would know better.

I don’t know what their actual age threshold is for keeping parts in stock, but they definitely aren’t focused on provided any real level of support or parts as machines get over ~20-25 years old. Not that I blame them, there is no profit or efficiency in doing that, but it is something to be aware of when considering older machinery.

The sliding table on my saw is all cast iron (not aluminum like models from the early 90s through present) and likely had a totally different T slot dimension and hold down design that was probably phased out and upgraded at least a few times over by now, I’d imagine.

Also, given the prices that they charge for their OEM replacement parts, I wouldn’t be surprised if a single stock hold down clamp was in the $500-800 range from them. At that price I’d rather save my pennies and do what I’ve done here and/or build my own pneumatic clamping system over time.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 03-25-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    Still waters run deep.