Thread: Table Saw Drama Is Finally Over… Harvey is here.

Table Saw Drama Is Finally Over… Harvey is here.

Some may remember, back in December I ordered a table saw from Grizzly. It arrived damaged, had to be returned. It was reordered only to receive a second damaged saw. Both times freight company was mostly responsible. Anyway, 2 months later its review time for the Harvey Alpha 2HP table saw I ended up ordering.
    Harvey did an awesome job packing my saw for freight from California to SWFL. The saw arrived after being stuck in Orlando for 2 weeks. However, it showed up with out a mark on it. The shipping cost 2x Grizzly's rate but worth it to have it show up undamaged.
    Assembly went pretty well. The motor was braced for shipping with a steel bar that needed to be removed per instructions. Dummy me forgot to put the one bolt back in after removal. Turns out that bolt holds belt tension.
    I ordered the cast iron right wing. I thought it was the same size as the left. NOPE, it's wider and HEAVY. It worked out great because the black phenolic piece fit to the right of the right cast wing. I just had to drill a couple additional holes in the rails.
    I wired the saw for 220V for a dedicated outlet I had installed in my shop. In addition to rewiring the motor, Harvey includes an additional on/off switch and circuit breaker that must be installed. Easy-peezy, but additional steps.
    The bad news is that the Compass miter gage didn't ship with the saw due to back order. I'm supposed to have it early March.
    Someone asked if the cast iron table were flat. I can say that mine are, at least to the level of my straight edges which is good enough for me. However, I did have to align miter slots to blade. That took me a while because I didn't read the instructions. After messing with it quite a while, I finally read the instructions that point out 2 set screws that must be removed in addition to loosening the 4 table bolts. I got the alignment under .002 using a dial indicator. The fence needed basic adjustment as I would expect. The adjusters are really nice, accurate, and easy. The 90 and 45 are dead on.
    The fence on this saw is a huge plus. Probably the nicest I've ever used. It's super heavy, but glides like it's on rollers. I couln't get it to deflect at all. Very accurate once the tape was installed.
    I installed a brand new Forrest WWII 48T blade and did some test cuts. The saw is VERY quiet as is the blade when cutting. This will be a nice all around set up. I also have a Frued glue line rip blade and a new dado stack.
    So what are my impressions? This is a nice saw that will probably be my last. The table being 31" deep is something manufactures should have done long ago. All of the fasteners used and supplied look like SS. They're quality. The cabinet is quality and heavy duty. The trunions, height adjust, and bevel adjust all work smoothly and look to heavy duty. The included tools are really nice.
    Some cons would be the instructions are ok, but could be just a bit more detailed. They should include a dust collection fitting for guys like me that will not be using the blade guard and dc hose. All of the cast tables, although being ground flat, have a rough feel to them to the point that I went over them with a green scotch brite pad and paste wax. If you're looking for a polished powermatic top, this aint it.
    All in all, I would have been happy with the Grizzly GO899 that I originally ordered and paid more for this. However, as they say, things happen for a reason. I did pay more than I originally wanted but got a lot more. The 31" table is a game changer for me, the heavy duty fence, cast iron right wing, and soon the compass miter gage.

Manufacturers can package to prevent freight damage should they choose too. Glad you are happy. Brian
    Brian

Congrats, Brian. Sorry it was such an ordeal.

I agree that the table being deeper is a big plus. I really like that about my SawStop ICS vs the SawStop contractor saw I replaced it with.

Out of curiosity, what is the dimension from the front of the table to the blade? I've always felt this was too small on most table saws, and you have to deal with wood tipping backward because of that. I'm curious if Harvey increased that dimension too.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Congrats, Brian. Sorry it was such an ordeal.

Out of curiosity, what is the dimension from the front of the table to the blade? I've always felt this was too small on most table saws, and you have to deal with wood tipping backward because of that. I'm curious if Harvey increased that dimension too.
    Same curiosity here. Extra table distance in front of the blade would be an advantage to me. If behind the blade, I have an extension table so it would look nice but be of no help to me...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Any chance of some photos Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    Ditto!

We used to have a saying around here: No Pics, It Didn't Happen!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    Yes this is a problem. A serious oversight...

I just purchased a Jet, I’m not sure how your was packed but mine was packed incredibly well and would have taken a lot to damage. But there are some guys in the shipping business who couldn’t care less.
    Love to get a follow up review. I’m not sure why some companies have gone to a 1.75 hp on their hybrids instead of a full 2 like yours?

For those curious, I measure about 14.5” from front of table to front of fully raised blade. I’ll post pics of the whole delivery and set up if I can figure out how to do so.
    Last edited by Chris Sonego; 02-27-2022 at 8:37 AM.

I just measured 12.25 inches from the front of my fully raised blade on my G1023RLWX.

So 14.5 inches is an improvement.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

SawStop's website says 10-3/4" on the ICS to the front of the blade when fully extended. 10-1/4" on the PCS. 10-5/8" on the Contractor's saw, which I was used to. So, really no difference from my old Contractor's saw. Funny, it seems larger. Definitely wish it was 14.5"
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    SawStop's website says 10-3/4" on the ICS to the front of the blade when fully extended. 10-1/4" on the PCS. 10-5/8" on the Contractor's saw, which I was used to. So, really no difference from my old Contractor's saw. Funny, it seems larger. Definitely wish it was 14.5"
    That is disappointing. I always thought that with the larger table top that there would be more room ahead of the blade.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

On the Harvey site, the spec sheet shows 18.9" from front edge of table to CENTER of blade. Grizzly site shown that dimension as 17" for the G1023 models. In either case, to the front of the 10" blade would be roughly 5" less or 14" versus 12".
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    On the Harvey site, the spec sheet shows 18.9" from front edge of table to CENTER of blade. Grizzly site shown that dimension as 17" for the G1023 models. In either case, to the front of the 10" blade would be roughly 5" less or 14" versus 12".
    earl
    Wouldn't it be more like 3.5 inches less how high will the blade be at the highest setting. That would be the number you would use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Wouldn't it be more like 3.5 inches less how high will the blade be at the highest setting. That would be the number you would use.
    Sounds good to me! Whatever the actual number, there’s a few extra inches in front of the blade.