Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My OneFinity has Landed

Project # 3, first the sides and top for my enclosure, then a couple of sets of clamps for use with the CNC and now my first artsy project.

Took me a couple of tries to figure out the best cutting toolpaths, but I'm happy with the outcome. Mostly a learning exercise.

That is an outstanding idea for the charging station...I cannot tell you how many times I've bumped my device on the nightstand which resulted in knocking it enough out of alignment to "not charge"!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I completed the test cuts on the top today.

I had a couple more "learning experiences" at the bottom left that I'll need to address before cutting wood, but I was pleased that it all conceptually worked. Those 1/4" holes are locating holes to guarantee registration when I flip it over to do the bottom. I'm not sure that's really needed but might as well plan for it.

John

So when you feel comfortable moving on from the foam, but don't yet want to commit to the expensive stuff, cut one in wood using "whatever", including even a glue up from a bunch of scrap, just to be able to verify that you are getting what you want to get. Then do a whole chair in a less expensive species, again, to verify you work and also for non-seat things, verify angles, jointery, etc., even if it's a design you've done previously by hand. It's kinda like working though a new finishing regimen you never used before. "Trust, but verify". Once you are confident, less steps can be taken in the future for sure.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So when you feel comfortable moving on from the foam, but don't yet want to commit to the expensive stuff, cut one in wood using "whatever", including even a glue up from a bunch of scrap, just to be able to verify that you are getting what you want to get. Then do a whole chair in a less expensive species, again, to verify you work and also for non-seat things, verify angles, jointery, etc., even if it's a design you've done previously by hand. It's kinda like working though a new finishing regimen you never used before. "Trust, but verify". Once you are confident, less steps can be taken in the future for sure.
    Good advice. I will mill a test seat in glued up wood. Beyond that, it's up to my two friends. I don't make rocking chairs and have no interest in them. I'm just doing this to help them out and as a learning exercise. The arms look like an interesting challenge, too.

John

Ah, I forgot this was a collaboration. I did seats for awhile for a fellow 'Creeker and it was nice being able to help out and save them time.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks Jim. I completed the test cuts on the top today.

I had a couple more "learning experiences" at the bottom left that I'll need to address before cutting wood, but I was pleased that it all conceptually worked. Those 1/4" holes are locating holes to guarantee registration when I flip it over to do the bottom. I'm not sure that's really needed but might as well plan for it.

John
    Awesome. Keep posting!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I mentioned wanting to use the CNC to carve Maloof style rocking chair seats. Here's my first attempt.

It's not perfect, beyond the boo boo in the middle, but I know now that I can create at least a crude 3D model in SketchUp, pull it into V-Carve Pro, and create a viable toolpath. This thing is great. And I'm really impressed with how well purple foam carves.

John
    Make the hole a little bigger and it can be a guys chair

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Make the hole a little bigger and it can be a guys chair
    Well, maybe not. But I did finish the top side yesterday.

A couple of more learning experiences showed me there still is a lot to do before it's ready for prime time. But I know it's possible now with SketchUp and VCarve Pro.

Some more learning the past couple of days making finger joints. When cutting them in 1/2" plywood I needed an allowance of -0.007 to get the joints to fit together properly. Today, I was making some finger joint templates in 1/4" MDF for a bench that's too thick to do directly on the CNC. -0.007 was a no-go. I had to increase it to -0.012" in order for the parts to fit. It makes you realize how good we humans are when cutting joints whether by machine or by hand. We inherently adapt and adjust to make things fit. The CNC just does what you tell it, for better or not.

John

John

You mention too thick to go on the CNC.

I just installed a set of 2" risers, from Rowdy Roman ($45) https://www.etsy.com/listing/1068083...=1&frs=1&sts=1

They are plastic and 3D printed, but are very solid. I figured for $45 I'd give them a try. They also come with longer bolts.

I read some reviews on the 1F forum and didn't see any real negative responses other than people saying they would love some made from aluminum.

What program did you use to create it? This is what I came up with while trying to learn Fusion 360. It's a little crude but I assumed that I would need to finish it. I hadn't thought about using foam to experiment on. Normally I just use junk wood from crates or some red maple I have. The shape isn't really specific, I just wanted to go through the steps.

seat.jpg

Alex, he created the model in SketchUp and imported it to VCarve Pro to cut, if I'm not mistaken.
    --

My Son wants a large sliding doors over a whiteboard cabinet, at his work, so I did a quick test today on pink foam board.

Unfortunately, the paint ate the foam board. This is about 20" square.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    What program did you use to create it? This is what I came up with while trying to learn Fusion 360. It's a little crude but I assumed that I would need to finish it. I hadn't thought about using foam to experiment on. Normally I just use junk wood from crates or some red maple I have. The shape isn't really specific, I just wanted to go through the steps.

seat.jpg
    As Jim said, I used SketchUp with an extension called Curvaloft to model the seat, then imported it into VCarve Pro. It's a little convoluted but I think I have it under control. That said, I have a lot of work yet to do to refine the contours of the seat.

Creating a simple seat shape is pretty easy. You can do it in VCarve Pro with nothing more than the fluting toolpath command, but it gets a lot harder when the shapes aren't pure circles, there are inclined surfaces, compound curved surfaces, etc. It looks like you successfully concurred some of those issues with your seat.

I saw the foam idea somewhere. It carves great and it's cheap. I know some folks are painting it successfully, too. Ask on the 1F users forum on FB; I'm sure someone will help you out.

John

Even better than the purple foam is scrap HDU. That stuff cuts wonderfully...I used it for a prototype for my bass guitar project last year.
    --