Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: My OneFinity has Landed

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mark, does that 4x3 max size include the actual dimensions of the machine which are generally larger?

The 4x3 foot print is 61-3/8” x 45-3/8”, I was looking last night how to squeeze it in and the only place it will work is the feed side of my slider which is against the wall. I will either place it low enough so sheet goods can pass over the rails with the gantry in the rear positions or somehow hinge it so i can tilt it up out of the way when i need to which won’t be often as most of my cuts will work without moving it.

I saw you on the 1F user's forum so I knew you must seriously be considering one. The new controller and beefier Z axis puts it in a league of its own in that price range. Nothing comes close for less than $5K. They're hinting an auto tool changer may be available in the future, and a 4th axis, too. I'd be interested in a 4th axis, for sure, if it's compatible with my Journeyman. Like a couple of other purchases, I bought just a little too early. You're timing couldn't be better. I'm looking forward to your impressions after you get it. Gonna be a wait, though, just like it was for me.

John

Yea, I’m pretty psyched about it. I am actually not in a great position to buy right now but I would be next year, the thing is it’s 20% off for an unknown amount of time, i dm’d 1F about it and they said if sales are strong it would be discounted Monday only (great sales pitch…) in any case the I don’t think they will discount it anymore than 20% and probably not that much in the future so might as well pull the trigger now.

Couple questions
    - Do you think the QCW frame is worth the $430, I know you made your own what are your thoughts?
    - Dust boot, i have a piped cyclone system so 4” is no problem but thinking it might be overkill for some work, I suppose the ability to do 4” and reduce to Fein/festool might work, what dust boot do you have?
    - What Cam software are you using, I currently design in Shapr3d which is a Siemens based program

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I saw you on the 1F user's forum so I knew you must seriously be considering one. The new controller and beefier Z axis puts it in a league of its own in that price range. Nothing comes close for less than $5K. They're hinting an auto tool changer may be available in the future, and a 4th axis, too. I'd be interested in a 4th axis, for sure, if it's compatible with my Journeyman. Like a couple of other purchases, I bought just a little too early. You're timing couldn't be better. I'm looking forward to your impressions after you get it. Gonna be a wait, though, just like it was for me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mark, does that 4x3 max size include the actual dimensions of the machine which are generally larger?
    Jim, also the cut area is 48” x 32”, don’t know why i keep saying 4x3….

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Yea, I’m pretty psyched about it. I am actually not in a great position to buy right now but I would be next year, the thing is it’s 20% off for an unknown amount of time, i dm’d 1F about it and they said if sales are strong it would be discounted Monday only (great sales pitch…) in any case the I don’t think they will discount it anymore than 20% and probably not that much in the future so might as well pull the trigger now.

Couple questions
    - Do you think the QCW frame is worth the $430, I know you made your own what are your thoughts?
    - Dust boot, i have a piped cyclone system so 4” is no problem but thinking it might be overkill for some work, I suppose the ability to do 4” and reduce to Fein/festool might work, what dust boot do you have?
    - What Cam software are you using, I currently design in Shapr3d which is a Siemens based program
    I went with the QCW, fasten from above. It's a pretty solid frame and meant I didn't need to make a perfectly flat torsion box. The QCW fasten from below is easier to initially setup, but with the supplied template, doing the 'From Above' was easy and once you have you CNC setup, you can make future waste boards on it.

When I mounted my 1F rails to the QCW and placed it on my homebuilt CNC cabinet, I had one corner than was about 1/8" above my cabinet surface, so I just shimmed that gap for support. I used the fishing line method, across the diagonals, to check all four corners were co-planer and it was spot on. The QCW is not bolted down and just sits on my cabinet, I put a few blocks around the QCW to stop any lateral movement.

I use my Jet 1.5HP DC, with a 4" hose connected to spindle dust boot. I ran a metal 5" extension to just above the CNC and then a 4" flex hose down.

John
    The Masso controller has the ability to have both a 4th and 5th axis. I'm wondering if they slaved the second Y axis stepper to the 4th axis (a) leaving only the 5th axis free. Still having one extra will be nice. It'll make installing a rotary axis easy. While I suspect it would be slow I would love to make my own custom spindles for railings. It's nice that OneFinity allows for upgrading.

I think they have options with only small changes to their current design. Open bottom bearings on the lower rail would allow them to support the shaft at multiple locations, which addresses the shortcoming you pointed out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/linear-bear...rail-shafts-6/

I'm not saying this is the best approach, only that it's likely possible within 1F's current overall design. In any case, with the current slew of new releases 1F has shown they listen to what their customers want and are pretty light on their feet. They've only been in business a couple of years yet have released a range of new products. If there is enough demand for a 4 x 8 machine, I have no doubt they will develop one. The next level up CNC makers would do well to take notice. They just addressed most of the shortcomings in their original line of machines, a much better controller, a 48 x 48 format, the prospect of an auto tool changer and 4th axis. Watch out when they have those, a long travel Z-axis, and an integrated spindle as standard equipment, and then a 4 x 8 format on a rigid frame. Maybe they won't, but they certainly could if they see enough demand.

John

Couldn't pass that deal up.. 1F opened the door on the Elites promptly at 10:00 am and I jumped thru it. Opted for the 48x32 due to space constraints. Now the 10-12 week wait begins...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Good for you Brian. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I bought my Journeyman only 6 or 7 months ago and am envious of the Elite already. On the other hand, other than the 4 x 4 format now available, the Journeyman does everything I've asked of it. But for a commercial shop or power hobby user, the Elite is the way to go.

That deal won't (didn't last) long. I don't know if the QCW frame is worth the money. I made a torsion box top, as you noted. I did spend a significant amount of time, several hours, getting the Y rails truly square. If the QCW frame makes that an easy task it might be worth the money, even to me. In either case, I would make sure the everything is in the same plane and to secure the Y rails once you have them square. They only need to be out of square by a small amount (maybe 1 mm on the diagonals) to see the error show up in a 90 degree corner, and everywhere else.

I use the Suckit Pro boot that I bought with the machine. Lots of folks have complained about it, broken it, whatever. I have had no troubles with it. With the Makita router the shopvac and hose is plenty large enough to capture the chips and dust. Even my old Sears shopvac is far quieter than my central DC and costs a lot less to run as well. With a Fein you can work w/o earplugs. If you plan to use a spindle, however, so that you can run larger bits at high rates then a shopvac isn't going to be able to keep up and a DC makes perfect sense. Personally, I would start with a spindle on the Elite, and this from a guy who says the Makita does everything I need. And it does, but the Elite is in another league than the Journeyman. You won't be able to take advantage of the on-the-fly speed change ability, higher machining rates, etc. w/o a spindle. I'd put a spindle on it even if I didn't want to run large bits and high rates, as it will be quieter when the bit is not in the wood, and when doing detailed carvings where you aren't removing much wood. You could still use a shopvac for that work, if desired. IMO, you only need a DC when producing a large chip/dust load. With that in mind, I'd buy a dust boot with a 4" outlet. That gives you the option to run it with a shopvac or DC, as you choose.

I'm using V-Carve Pro. I use SketchUp for design work, because it allows me to see my projects in 3D, and it's free. It's poor for generating compound curved surfaces, however, or maybe I'm just ignorant on how best to do it. And SketchUp doesn't import all that cleanly into V-Carve Pro, even though they have a utility in V-Carve Pro specifically for importing SketchUp, unless you distill it down to the 2D views, and even then it doesn't come in cleanly. Curves are really a series of straight lines, same with holes. Because of that, I pretty much recreate the parts from scratch directly in V-Carve Pro after I have the design developed in SketchUp. I don't know if Shapr3D will import cleanly into V-Carve Pro, so that's something you might want to look into further if you are considering it.

V-Carve Pro allows you to import one 3D file. That's it. You cannot design in 3D with V-Carve Pro. If that's something you want/need to do, you should consider Aspire. It's $2000, but the nice part of Vectric's approach is that you can upgrade for the cost difference from the package you originally purchased. Vectric also has outstanding tutorials.

The Elite series comes with a free year of Carveco Maker 3D software, so you could start with that and see if you like it. You're paying for it.

Good grief, I'm excited, and you're the one buying the machine.

John

Good for you Brian. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I bought my Journeyman only 6 or 7 months ago and am envious of the Elite already. On the other hand, other than the 4 x 4 format now available, the Journeyman does everything I've asked of it. But for a commercial shop or power hobby user, the Elite is the way to go.
    Thanks John. Can't wait to get started. Waiting 10 weeks is going to be murder..

I spent a good hour in my shop last night trying to figure out a way to get the 4x4 in there since it's only a few hundred $$$ more. At one point I was telling myself to just get it and figure it out later. But this morning some sanity crept back in.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks John, I ran into a few hiccup's with the COO of the household but since I am the CFO i was able to convince her of the purchase, I just showed a spreadsheet with a lot of numbers and some graphs and she walked away - I took that as buy it!.

Got the Journeyman 80mm with the QCW, got in at the last second for the free third rail.... thinking I will go with the 2.2kw water cooled PNWcnc spindle kit, 15% off until end of Nov, could probably do it for half but not sure its worth the hassle
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 11-29-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks John, I ran into a few hiccup's with the COO of the household but since I am the CFO i was able to convince her of the purchase, I just showed a spreadsheet with a lot of numbers and some graphs and she walked away - I took that as buy it!.

Got the Journeyman 80mm with the QCW, got in at the last second for the free third rail.... thinking I will go with the 2.2kw water cooled PNWcnc spindle kit, 15% off until end of Nov, could probably do it for half but not sure its worth the hassle
    Good for you Mark. Your COO will appreciate all the new things you'll be able to accomplish on the project list. The PNW spindle gets good reviews; never heard anyone say they had a problem that wasn't quickly resolved satisfactorily. I don't think I've heard any problems, to be honest.

The wait is painful. When I bought my Journeyman the stated wait time was 10 - 12 weeks, but I actually got it in just over 8 weeks. Maybe 1F will ship yours faster than promised, too. Since I knew nothing about V-Carve Pro, I used the wait time to learn how to use the software and create some projects. When I got the machine the learning curve was a lot less steep. If you bought software from 1F you can download it within a day after purchase. I got my notification from Vectric in a few hours.

John

Brian, I placed my order for the 32 x 32 Elite Woodworker. That was as far as my budget would stretch, and I honestly can't imagine the I'll need a bigger machine for a while. If that time comes, I figure I could always update the X-rail to the 48", of just buy a Foreman. I can use the wait time to learn the software. I have a background in CAD, so I think I'll catch on to it pretty quickly.

At least one dimension should be 48 If you can, A lot less wasted material. And BTW all those machines look great it would be hard to choose.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-30-2022 at 9:05 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10