Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaper precision height adjustments

Shaper precision height adjustments

I need a DRO on my shaper spindle or some other highly accurate way to set up height on cutters. Milling parts for doors with profiles that fit together that need to be flush when assembled is my main issue right now. I am looking at an I Gaging height gauge as a possibility right now ,anyone use this or something similar ? What other techniques am I missing here ? Feel free to educate me . Need repeatable accuracy, quick efficient set up and less "trial and error"involved in my process.

I use a height gauge similar to the Igauging and it works fine
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    dro(s) would be faster, but these 2 work on every machine, for every setup.
    20220225_142705.jpg

Jared where did you get that arm for the dial indicator ? I have a indicator with a magnetic base and a arm but that one looks much easier to use .

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    dro(s) would be faster, but these 2 work on every machine, for every setup.
    20220225_142705.jpg
    I have the same settup and it works very well, though I've not really needed it for shaper settup. I'd love to see a DRO settup for an old manual shaper, it could be very handy. I'm trying to decide between a big Panhans or Hoffman machine each with cnc fences and spindle height but I'm hoping to have manual override possible in case of a problem with electronics.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Jared where did you get that arm for the dial indicator ? I have a indicator with a magnetic base and a arm but that one looks much easier to use .
    I think it's a clone/copy the same as mine. Mine is by "Anytime Tools". Very popular on Amazon and the arm works very well. The one knob tightens or loosens every joint in the unit. Very quick to settup. The fine tune tip is super handy. Mine came set up for using 3/8 posts so needed an adapter to use with my "last word", so worth verifying it's compatible with your indicator.

20220225_144304.jpg
    Last edited by brent stanley; 02-25-2022 at 3:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Its a import NOGA clone from shars. I'm sure there are lots of other places that have them

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Its a import NOGA clone from shars. I'm sure there are lots of other places that have them
    Everyone loves the noga these days and everyone seems to be copying it!

Check the local Harbor Freight, one might be instock. Approx. US $13.00. Otherwise, website says available 3/14/'22:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ent-63663.html

I have an iGaging height gauge https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...MaArBTEALw_wcB which is decent. The magnets are not as strong as a dial indicator base but they don't need to be on a shaper table. It does allow for accurate adjustments and is a bit more convenient than a dial indicator, but doesn't do any more either except switch between metric/digital inch/fractional inch. Sometimes getting the height gauge tip where you want it is easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Check the local Harbor Freight, one might be instock. Approx. US $13.00. Otherwise, website says available 3/14/'22:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ent-63663.html
    Those are the standard stands, the noga style are worlds better.

That Harbor fright thing is what I have now. This articulating arm deal looks a whole lot more useable, from the pictures anyway. Took my calipers from my reloading bench over to the shop and got the setup I needed today figured out. Will be investing in another one for the shop. Thanks for help today. Will have to spend some more money now.

I like a digital (or dial) height gauge like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-54-175...%2C358&sr=8-21

I have an iGaging snap gauge which has a slightly flexible plastic body. It seems accurate but not precise, as you can easily get 0.004” of flex, which makes it pretty useless.

Blog Entries
    Wixey makes a nice height gauge.

wr25_easy03.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-25-2022 at 7:18 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    That Harbor fright thing is what I have now. This articulating arm deal looks a whole lot more useable, from the pictures anyway. Took my calipers from my reloading bench over to the shop and got the setup I needed today figured out. Will be investing in another one for the shop. Thanks for help today. Will have to spend some more money now.
    Just search YouTube for noga indicator stand and you will see how great they are. The actual noga stands are (or were) under $100. I think I paid $35 for the clone with a indicator included.

I'd like to have DROs on everything but the wood specific units are laughable for the price compared to the mill/lathe 2 axis units.