Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing track saw tracks

Storing track saw tracks

I have two long tracks for my track saw, along with short ones. I now hang them on a central post in my shop, but also use the post for a lot of other items and they are in the way. I am looking for an alternate place to hang the long ones. They are 108", if memory serves.

I saw that someone stored them sideways on the rollup garage door in a You Tube video, and it seemed like a good place.

If anyone has done that I would like to see pics of the brackets you used. I have several ideas, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Any other good ideas for storage are welcome also.

I cannot hang them horizontally above windows or any where where I need to reach up high. Pushing 80, and supposed to stay off ladders, and both rotator cuffs are shot. No wall space left.

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I used these:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/track-rack

A person could probably DIY something similar for less $$$ if they had the time/inclination... I had neither, so I got a couple sets and mounted my long rail (2700?) and two normal length (1400) rails on the garage door. My little stubby rail still gets propped up out of the way, but that's not as likely to get knocked over as the others.

Fastcap are the off the virtual shelf ones, and people are 3D printing.

I just put two screws in the wall (in a horizontal line) with heads large enough to fit in the "T" slots on the back of the track. Slide slightly left/right to hang/remove.

In my old shop, I had a horizontal sheet goods storage area with a piece of two-by on the top as a support rail, I put my tracks, including the eight footer, on top of that horizontal piece of two-by and made some rotating stops that kept them upright and against the wall. They were out of the way, at an easy hight to access and well supported. I will likely do something similar when I get a new shop building up because I found that setup very functional for me. Right now, my long track is on top of the row of wall cabinets in my temporary shop and the short tracks are hanging vertically from screws behind my levels which are on the same screws for storage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had two 55" festool tracks, that I used to connect for my 8' rips. I used the Festool connectors to join these tracks. I store these tracks, disconnected, hanging vertically on a pegboard hook.

My Son bought me the 10' Track for Christmas. This posed a bit more of a challenge.

So I decided to hang it on the garage door rails, using one of the track connectors cut in two (in theory, I don't need these now I have the longer track). Each half of the cut connector slides in the end of the longer track. (This garage door is unplugged and does not open as my Sawstop is parked in front of it.)

Yes, I have to get a small step ladder out to get it down, but that's not very often.

“supposed to stay off ladders” It seems that anything overhead with the RC’s shot is a problem. If you can find a 6 or 8” width on the wall to set them vertically like a book shelf they are easy to get at and it is just much safer and more comfortable. Could you make a shelf under your work bench to slide them in and out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I just put two screws in the wall (in a horizontal line) with heads large enough to fit in the "T" slots on the back of the track. Slide slightly left/right to hang/remove.
    That's what I did. Same for the Mafell tracks.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Brackets are just a couple offcuts of 3/4 ply
    20191123_152616.jpg

LOL, coors light for scale.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    LOL, coors light for scale.
    Lol that was exactly it. Sent the pic of the new jointer (at the time) and coors was for scale. Carefully set on the aluminum guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    I used these:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/track-rack

A person could probably DIY something similar for less $$$ if they had the time/inclination... I had neither, so I got a couple sets and mounted my long rail (2700?) and two normal length (1400) rails on the garage door. My little stubby rail still gets propped up out of the way, but that's not as likely to get knocked over as the others.
    +1 (or is that +2) on the FastCap. I moved from a nail in the wall to the Fastcaps. The work nice and aren't that expensive (though a nail is cheaper ). Allowed me to use some space that wasn't usable for much else.

Fastcap Track Rack larger.jpg

John

Is your house on a crawlspace wit the shop on a slab? Cut a hole in the wall and slide them flat into the crawl space onto a long hanging shelf.
    Bill D

I don't have a track saw but I do have a 8' Lufkin wooden straightedge. I store it in my lumber rack.

My 3 DeWalt tracks are on the single garage door at one end of my shop. I made little L shaped brackets out of a piece of 3/4 scrap and a piece of 5mm luan for the longer part of the L. They are just screwed to the garage door inner skin (it is an insulated door). They work fine but they did increase the weight of the door a little and the spring on the door is apparently too light to compensate. I tried winding it up a bit harder but it did not help. It doesn't bug me too much or I would just get a heavier spring. I find having them on the door to be less in the way than in the lumber rack. I can put the two shorter ones in my Paulk style workbench but they are handier on the door and the long one wont fit in the workbench.