Thread: Enclosure Finished for CNC

Enclosure Finished for CNC

Not sure whether this is a workshop or CNC thread, it's a bit more of a workshop setup than detail about the CNC, so I put it here.

I just finished this cabinet and enclosure build to house my new Onefinity Journeyman CNC.

It has a working area of 48" x 32".

I'm using a 220v VFD and spindle.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 02-25-2022 at 5:42 PM.

That is really well thought out, Chris!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The upper sliding enclosure was not my idea, another Onefinity user (Mitz Pellicciotta) had done something similar on the 32" x 32" version and produced a great pdf document detailing his build, so I just plagiarized it a little.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 02-25-2022 at 5:46 PM.

Being clueless about CNC machines, what's the purpose of the enclosure? Dust control? Noise reduction?

Looks very nice, BTW.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Mostly for noise, for me, but it does help with dust control, although the 4" suction pretty much gets anything where the bristles are close to the work piece. So sawdust, missed by the DC, pretty much stays in the cabinet and I guess the DC causes the enclosure to be negative pressure so fine dust is not escaping.

Being retired, I spend about 6 hours a day, in my garage, putzing around, making stuff and entertaining myself. With having to run my DC, while the CNC is cutting, I wanted to limit/reduce the noise from the CNC and DC as much as possible. The spindle, which is basically a dedicated router, being water cooled versus air cooled, is super quiet when it's not actually cutting, so the only real noise is the actual cut process that is generated from the CNC piece of it. The enclosure, although not soundproofed inside, still reduces that cut noise by about 60%.

With the soundproofing I did to the DC, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWgQgmHzis over the weekend, I've got this combination down to a reasonable level where I don't feel compelled to wear headphones, for noise comfort, while in my garage. I have a single Bose Soundtouch speaker that I mostly play classical music on while in the garage. This is not loud music and as such, when I turned on my DC it would drown out the speaker. Not any more.

That last 2-3 decibel reduction made a big difference, well done sir!