Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to chat with someone who is well versed in rifle reloading

Need to chat with someone who is well versed in rifle reloading

I give up. My son and I have a 1903 A3 Springfield that we've had for a couple years. Shoots amazingly well. We were moving towards the M1 Grand when the ammo shortage hit, and we've been sitting here for a couple years now waiting for the cost of a box of 30-06 ammo to become reasonable enough to purchase. I'm ready to make that move into reloading and willing to spend $500.00 + even more if necessary to get a quality set-up that will last. I've looked at several reviews, read several articles, but I don't know anyone personally that reloads. My experience with the people on the Creek has always been 100% positive as far as advice and guidance goes. So where better to ask but amongst the people who have helped me the most in the past. Anyone out there who doubles woodworking with an avid interest in reloading? I'm looking primarily for NEW rifle reloading hardware/kit recommendations and/or advice to stay away from some system for a beginner. Note:I did some shotgun reloading 30 years ago. So I'm not unfamiliar with the basics.There are a couple books I know I have to familiarize myself with their content, but I thought I best wait until I had the system I would be using as that might save me some unnecessary reading.

Many Thanks in advance!

V/r

Don M
    301 762-3340 Hm
    301 503-1680 Cell
    donmorris@verizon.net
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Don, I have never reloaded for shotgun but have hunted with them a bit.

I shot rifle bench rest competition using a 6mm Ruger bolt action , hunted elk with a Reminton BDL 30-06, a custom built 338-06 and a custom built 7mm-06 (284 Remington IIRC). I hand loaded for all the rifles, but it's been 20 years since I reloaded. I'd recommend you find someone locally who is a skilled reloader to teach you how to reload rifles. Reloading for rifles I suspect is a totally different beast. Excessive pressures become a whole lot more important and dangerous. For example, once while reloading for hunting loads for the 30-06 using a proven, often personally used load in that rifle, I began to experience evidence of excessive pressures in the form of a slightly harder opening bolt on the rifle and measured unusual, fired case expansion. The cause? A new can of powder from the same manufacture was suddenly turning problems up across the country as they had switched types of cellulose used in the powder. Tolerances become much more important IMO in rifles than in shotguns, I suspect.

I have shot pistol silhouette using a Ruger Mark II 22 caliber and hand loaded for 44 mag.

With rifles, a multistage reloading press isn't necessary IMO. With a shotgun or a pistol, a multistage press would be advantageous. I used an RCBS Rock Chucker press and RCBS dies.

I used RCBS reloading equipment exclusively to support the local manufacturing plant. For target shooting I used Speer bullets as they are locally manufactured, and I could buy them in bulk from a local gun shop. For hunting I used Hornady and Nosler bullets.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-24-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I reload for a variety of calibers. I have worked my way through 3-4 different reloaders over the years. For the last 15 or so years I have been using the Dillon Precision RL550 machine. If interested Google Dillion Precision and check out their website. If you call they are very helpful. The RL550 is somewhat pricy but, in my opinion, worth the price. It is capable of fairly high speed loading. That is, many loaded cartridges in a short period of time. Dillon Precision stands behind their guarantee. The RL 550 can handle almost any pistol or rifle cartridge reloading. ( you must buy the caliber dies separately). Among calibers I load the 30-06 also.

I have a Lee progressive reloader (I think they call it their loadmaster) that I mainly use for pistols but on occasion I have done rifle reloading. My hunting buddy bought a Dillion not long afterwards and the Dillion was a lot nicer press. If I was to replace my press I would seriously look at Dillion. Unless something has changed their warranty is excellent.

I've been reloading for 357 mag, 30-30, 300 savage, and 6.5x55 mauser for40 years. Reloading is a very rewarding hobby in my opinion.

Problem you're going to have is finding components. Powder and bullets will probably be the hardest to find. Don't fool yourself either, you won't save any money reloading unless you shoot a lot and I mean several hundred rounds a year.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to ease you into the sticker shock. I say go for it and I'll help with any advice and encouragement I can give.

The most important and cheapest piece of equipment you'll need is a good reloading manual. Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra all print excellent manuals. If you can, flip through some before buying. Buy one and read through the front half of the manual a couple times until you thoroughly understand the process. You'll avoid a lot of headaches and potential dangerous conditions.

Buy a good cast iron frame press, RCBS, Redding, Lee, Lyman all good names. You'll need a good case trimmer, I have a Lyman and it works well. A good powder scale, I have no experience with the electronic ones so no advice there. I have a RCBS 1010 scale and it's served me well even when I was loading 300 rounds of 357 mag in a session. If you're loading for a Garand you'll want full length sizing dies, neck sized cases may not chamber in semi auto. Most of my dies are from Lee. You'll need a deburring tool and a way to clean primer pockets and a bullet puller. I use the wax based lube in a spray can made by Hornady.

That's a starter. Like I said I'm happy to give any advice I can.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

www.thefiringline. com - remove the space

www.thehighroad. org - remove the space

Either/or - or both - can give you access to the information you'll need to get you up and running. They have a separate form for reloading.

I've loaded for .38/.357mag, .44spl/.44mag, 9mm, .45acp, .45 Colt, .30/30 and .30/06 since the mid 1970s. I use a Lee turret press, which is considered a low end piece - that I'll get around to replacing when it wears out. .

Dillon is a top brand.

Just remember - there are old reloaders and the are bold reloaders - but - there are no old bold reloaders - as the old saying goes.
    Enjoy!
    I enjoy the handloading aspect as much as the shooting.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I did lots of reloading over the years But no modern cartridges. Always avoided semi autos, they are too hungry. Loaded mostly single shot calibers, 577 Snider, 577-450 Martini, 58 Remington, 50-70, 45-90, 45-70, 11mm Mauser, 43 Spanish Remington 40-50 Sharps, 38-55, 38 XL Ballard, 44-40, 32-20, 25-21 Stevens, Mostly fun stuff that isn't that expensive.

I load 9,45,223,308,6.5 grendel, and a few others. First find some primers. I probably have close to 250,000 rounds loaded. There are 2 ways to load, 1 is for volume I load 9,45,223 for volume. 1000 rounds a sitting or more. Then there is for accuracy or low volume. The difference will be whether or not you want automated aspects of the loading.
    So for volume I have a dillon 650(auto indexing) with case feeder, powder feeder, and bullet feeder. This is a 5 stage press that automatically moves on the upstroke of the handle.All I am left doing is pulling the handle.
    For low volume i'm set up on a dillon 550(manual indexing). I run the case through the press 2 times. The first time through I remove primer/size case then trim the case in another station. The case comes off the press and is cleaned. Then I ream the flash hole deburr/chamfer the case mouth etc polish inside case neck with brush. I then prime off the press. add the powder and introduce the cases one at time into the press. Manually add a lubed bullet, seat, and crimp. I normally go 50-100 rounds per sitting for the final load. 2-300 for the first pass.
    The dillon equipment and company are great but you can load on anything. especially if your only going after 100 rounds a sitting.

I would pick up the Sierra book. Its actually more of a binder(it lays flat which is nice). There is a nice section in the front that has how to then the back has all the load data. I would definitely check out youtube for a good overview. And when your ready make a checklist that you put the rounds through. I have kids so my thing is I set up to do alot of any one thing at a time so if I have to leave I wont forget where Im at. Currently in the middle of first pass with 223 (10,000 rounds im looking to size/deprime/trim/clean) so when I stop I know next ttime I get at it Im still working on the same thing. After that I will switch to 9mm and load 3-5000 rounds.

What do you need to know? I dont load for benchrest I load to whats accurate enough for me.

Focus on cleaning and case prep to start once you got a few hundred cases prepped and ready you will be able to make a test box. which you will have to take to the range and run. you will look for the 2 most accurate powder weights. Come back and make another box with smaller increments between those 2.

If you want to get crazy accurate I would start with measuring chamber of rifle and setting the neck a 3-5 thousandths back from that so that the round will chamber and not stick. then measure the lands and set the bullet to just barely kiss them or a little back from there. Then do the ladder box(test box with powder increments). I have the stuff to do that but live in NJ so I only have 300 yards to shoot so I never needed to get more accurate then a simple ladder box and sammi standards

Right now, the cost savings is not there in my opinion unless you are shooting something like 1,000 rounds a month. The cost of equipment and components has risen to the point that it's hard to justify based on cost savings. Also, as mentioned above, finding powder and primers is still difficult 2 years after CoVid started. I would suggest you try to get your hands on the appropriate primers and a pound or two of possible powders before buying any other equipment. I haven't looked in a while so maybe it's gotten easier to find, but would suck to buy all the equipment and then not be able to get any of the needed components.

As far as an entry level equipment package that can handle 30-06 and stays under your $500 budget, this is a nice press (I have one): https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/14706
    You would still need a set of dies to go with that kit. Unless you have a source of new, ready to load brass, you would also need the associated equipment like brass cleaning, depriming, etc.

The Dillon is also showing in stock with the .30-06 die option, but you'd need to grab the other items missing like scale, powder trickle, deburring tools, etc. https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-5...8_1_23594.html

Can't go wrong with Redding and Dillon presses in my opinion. Good luck whichever way you go!
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-25-2022 at 7:54 AM.

I agree with the Dillon RL550 recommendations if your primary goal is to load rifle ammo. I use a 650 to load volume 9mm and 300 blk. But for lower volumes and long action cartridges, I would consider using the 550.

If you are looking for something cheaper, consider a turret style press (Redding T7, Lyman All American 8) or even a quality single stage O press (RCBS, Lyman, Hornady)

Remember that there are some of other items to buy (good powder scale/dispenser, dies, case length gauges etc.) I’ve not reloaded for an M1 but have read there are some unique considerations when loading 30-06 for a Garand. Bent rods come to mind.

Had a nice long reply queued up last night, and then the forum software timed out when I went to post.

In addition to the reloading manuals that have pretty good tutorial sections (the Lyman manual is pretty good, but none of them are really 'bad') check out a book called 'The ABCs of Reloading' (available on Amazon, in either paper or Kindle format). I have a little bit of a hard time saying that, because the way those books 'teach' loading for metallic rifle cartridges, and the way *I* load for precision long-range rifle competition, tend to diverge a wee bit

The 550 (or any progressive, really) wouldn't be my first choice for any long action cartridge. Yes, it can do the job - and I've used it for such. It's definitely not as comfortable clearance-wise as it is with handgun and short-action calibers. Then you get into the mess with trying to use a powder thrower for large-ish rifle charges, and 'ball' powder (which has it's own quirks). Again, yes, it can work just fine - just not ideal. Might be borrowing more trouble than you really want though. Turret presses get you part of the way there, but honestly, having started with one a couple decades ago... the juice ain't worth the squeeze, as they say, in my opinion. Get a decent O-frame single stage press. Not the smaller end (RCBS Partner), but it doesn't have to be a monster (Redding Ultra Mag) either. I use a Forster Co-Ax, but a Lee Classic Cast would work just fine.

Do yourself a huge favor, and get a good (i.e. expensive) set of digital calipers if you don't already have 'em. Even the cheap 'house' brand ones are better than nothing (usually). Strictly speaking, I suppose a person could get away without using them at all (bad idea) but where they really come in handy is troubleshooting, and especially in conjunction with a decent comparator gauge like the Hornady. Again, not 100% necessary, but I wouldn't load without it (or something similar in function.
    Last edited by Monte Milanuk; 02-25-2022 at 9:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Haven't hunted or even shot my 30-06 Remington BDL in decades. Initially I was interested in reloading on a budget so I just used a Lee reloading kit that apparently didn't fully resize the case. Lent some ammo to a fellow hunter while on a Wyoming antelope hunt. Yep, got one of my cartridges stuck in his gun. Fortunately others more knowledgeable than myself were able to push the cartridge back out using a cleaning rod and a (yikes) hammer. Learned a good lesson right there.
    NOW you tell me...

It has been years since I’ve reloaded, but just last week was looking through my dies, 45acp, 45 LC, 38/357, 222, 223, 22-250, 30-30, 25-06, 308, 30-06 and assorted gear. I shot hi-power for a short time and to get serious about it, well, it was just to much time and money for the ammo. I kinda smiled when I see you are going from the 03-A3, a great rifle, to the Garand, another great. I had a NM Garand. I would suggest that you stick with the Springfield. In my experience semi-autos lead to mass increases in ammo consumption. Having to crank that bolt handle slows down the consumption and if round on target is the goal, it isn’t the worst thing. I ended up dropping the hi-power stuff and got into shooting small bore (Anschutz Super Match) and air rifle. Good luck on your reloading adventure.

Others who are still reloading can better answer this but when I was doing it buying powder was kind of an issue. Not so much buying it but shipping it. If you can't guess it has special shipping requirements. I believe there is (or maybe it's changed) a flat Hazmat fee so you want to buy in bulk or buy it local if you have a gun shop that sells it. But there's limitations on how much you can ship in one package. Don't quote me on this (USE A PROPER CHART) but 1 pound of powder can do less than 150 rounds of 30-06. If you are just shooting occasionally that's a lot of ammo. But, if you want to go to the range once a week and shoot 100 rounds you're going to want to buy in larger quantities. Also, with COVID and other issues, you are going to want to have plenty on hand so you aren't struggling to find the same powder you were using.

To me once I decide on a powder I like I stick with it. As others have said each type of powder has it's own little quirks when it comes to reloading so once you know how the one you have chosen works with your reloader so changing powders just adds to the learning curve. Once you go down the reloading path you are going to want to look into reloading other calibers you have. The press is the biggest expense so buying extra dies to do other calibers just kind of makes sense. If you do you'll you're very likely going to be buying different powders. That leads back to what I was saying about shipping vs finding a local shop to buy from.

Biggest problem during covid has been finding powder and primers in stock. Second biggest is quantity limits of 1 box primers and limit jugs powder. Makes the shipping and hazmat fee hurt even worse. May be better now as I quit looking sometime last year.