Thread: unisaw tilt shaft

unisaw tilt shaft

In checking the 45-degree bevel on my Unisaw 36-R31X I discovered the tilt shaft has a worn worm that restricts full tilt to only 44-degrees. A replacement shaft through 'renovoparts' is listed at $223 before tax and shipping, yikes.

It appears I'll have to dismantle much of the saw to replace the shaft. Has anyone tried this? What complications should I expect? Any idea where else to look for this part?

Thanks

How old is that saw ? I have no idea how the different model numbers fit age wise. I have worked on ,bought and sold quite a few Unisaws. Post a picture of the saw . Also a part number for the shaft. There are tons of old Unisaws around and parts are on the Auction site all the time. I quite possibly have what you need at my shop right now as I have parted out a couple saws. Are you looking for the worm gear that fits on the shaft that has the set screw in it ?
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 02-24-2022 at 7:04 PM.

Are you sure the stop nut isn’t prohibiting it moving further?

Mike, the saw is a right tilt 2004 X5. The part number is 422-04-406-5001 identified as "tilt shaft w/worm incl". I just left the shop without a picture.

I may be going about this incorrectly. All of the threads on this worm shaft appear in fine shape except the first one. It appears to be worn down to a taper. I assume that taper is causing it to not engage fully with the teeth on the front bracket which disallows the tilt travel of a full 45 degrees.
    To complicate things, I looked at the teeth on the elevating shaft. The first thread on that worm appears worn and tapered also. This leads me to think both shaft's first-tooth patterns are by design.
    Sorry if this is so confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are you sure the stop nut isn’t prohibiting it moving further?

Yes, there should be a screw stop that allows you to adjust the max travel to an exact 45 degrees. It sounds like there is a very good chance that the stop is adjusted out a bit too far.

While you are down there looking for the stop I would recommend smearing some Johnsons paste wax on the worm gear and teeth. For me paste wax does a nice job allowing the gears to mesh easier without picking up a lot of saw dust like grease generally will.

Yes. The stop nut is almost 1/8" away from the stop post. I am assuming the tilt travel is restricted due to the poor teeth meshing on the shaft. Am I way off base?

I assume that first thread is a Higbee. Not super critical thread form. I would build it up with braze or even JB Weld and file it. Can the
    Bill D

I assume you meant it is the screw that is too short not the worm gear itself?

Sorry Bill much of this is Greek to me. I'll look up Higbee and provide a few photos of the screw/worm gear.

It would take a lot of blade tilting to wear out the tilt worm gear on a 2004 saw. Even my old '68 Unisaw from a commercial shop didn't have much wear on the blade tilt worm gear. It sounds like there is an adjustment or blockage issue. There isn't something restricting the motor moving, like a cord or something else?