Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the "sawdust plus glue" technique ...

Question about the "sawdust plus glue" technique ...

I have a joint that didn't quite come together flush, and am considering mixing some sawdust from the project wood with glue to fill it. I am planning using Titebond 3 for the joint. I know lot of people do this to fill gaps, but PVA glue doesn't take finish well...so I'm a bit confused. Thanks for all advice-

Blog Entries
    If possible, fill the gap with a thin sliver of wood, it will be less noticeable than sawdust. Before you glue it in, apply your stain to the joint area and sliver if you are coloring the area so the glue won't show.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The sawdust + glue technique will look like sawdust + glue. You're right. It does not take finish the same way as the wood.

Try a thick plane shaving - even if you have to fold it to get the right thickness. You'll mask best if you can roughly match the grain direction.

The sawdust + glue technique was true when people used hot hide glue, which will take a finish. Modern glues which don’t include melted down horses do not.

I an friends with a couple who restored furniture for some famous museums, collectors and government. They do in fact sometimes have to resort to sawdust and hide glue. Or rabbit glue. Good enough for the Henry Ford, or the Guggenheim, good enough for me.
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 02-24-2022 at 12:30 AM.

Best practice is always to try and fill gaps with solid wood first because, as you note, "glue and dust" and other fillers pretty much will never look like wood and don't take coloration agents and finish well. Cutting slivers of the same wood from the project so that the grain direction matches can often make the gaps completely disappear even to close inspection if you do it carefully and thoughtfully. I've done this a lot including with hand cut dovetails that were not, um...the best fits...and in that case, putting the slivers in diagonal to the joint to that the endgrain is visible on both sides of the joint totally disappears.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Elmers makes (or did recently) a PVA glue that they said was stainable. I've never tried it so don't know if so. I haven't looked for it lately.

edit - yes they still do: https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-E730-S.../dp/B000LNVAVO

looks like a mix with wood fibers already in it. If that's what makes it stainable, I suspect its no different than mixing it yourself. Maybe someone here has tried it.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 02-24-2022 at 9:08 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Bigger gaps should be filled with wood. But when the gaps are so small that wood just doesn't work, sanding dust plus glue does work. Use sanding dust, not saw dust. I use fifteen-minute epoxy. It doesn't shrink like PVA, and cures harder.

If it’s a small gap, CA glue and sanding works well. Put some CA glue in gap, then sand by hand to get sawdust in the gap on top of CA glue.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad the dirty little lie about sawdust & glue being a great filler is finally being addressed in public. At least with PVA glue, you might as well use drywall compound because it matches just about as well. I haven't tried it with hide glue or epoxy though.

I have also had poor results using glue and sawdust, and I have done multiple tests since so many people claim success. I had slightly better results using white glue instead of yellow glue, but nowhere near consistent enough. CA glue wasn’t any better for me. Light woods like maple seem to react differently than dark woods like walnut. For all of the glue techniques, there often seems to be a darker edge around the perimeter of the filled area, and any spillover often darkens the wood underneath which must be sanded off.

My best results come from mixing different colors of Timbermate wood filler to achieve a reasonably close color match. For my latest project in curly maple, I started with their maple, which was too yellow, so I added about 50% white to reduce the color saturation. That brought the hue closer, but was a bit too light, so I added about 10% walnut and the result was pretty close.

If anyone has good results with any other techniques, I would love to hear them!

a slightly different solution to that problem

I sometimes use sawdust plus whatever finish I'm going to use. I find that it works much better than sawdust and glue. -Howard

I add a drop or two of woodworking dye roughly matching the finish I will be using. Just a little dab will do ya.
    Regards,

Tom

Great discussion...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    ...fill the gap with a thin sliver of wood, it will be less noticeable than sawdust...
    This. Sawdust and glue looks like crap. Very unpropfessional.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

On dovetails, the dust and glue looks terrible taking ways the sharp crisp line we strive for. As mentioned above a well executed sliver of wood will maintain that crisp line and usually won’t be detectable. Too many YouTube “influencers” do the dust and glue when they should be showing better joinery or the used of wood slivers.