Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Project

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Another option is to have someone "spray weld" the column, tten turn to correct size on the lathe
    $$$$ Might as well just buy the right parts. Easier, cheaper, better.

Once when I needed shim stock, I went to a local machine shop and they just gave me some shim stock.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    You know I did find another tube with the correct ID and 3-1/8” OD. So wonder is a machine shop could turn the OD down to 3.07”. (I’m not a welder but have one if that helps)

A place that rebuilds truck drive shafts would have a lathe capable of doing this. Fleet Pride is one name that comes to mind. As boring head out, both the base and table will need to be bored. You never explained exactly what happened to the old head.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-25-2022 at 9:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    The standard thickness of a beverage can is 0.097.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It seems to me that the easiest approach to this is what has been mentioned..very lightly shimming in the recess as long as the top of the column bottoms out on something inside the drill head. You just need to make it secure so it stays "in plane" in use and getting a snug slip-fit followed by securing, maybe with some set screws, will do the trick. I could be wrong, but the KISS method could be a great approach here.
    My current DP has about 0.010"-0.015" diametrical clearance. My old DP and the new head use two set screws to secure the head. The depth the column goes into the head until it bottoms out looks to be about 5".

This is the drill head (for sizing - the post is 3"):

viking drill head.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    The standard thickness of a beverage can is 0.097.
    OMG - I owe you a beer! (but only if I can keep the can)

But wait a minute, you may be off a decimal?

UPDATE:

While waiting for Nova to go through their quality checks of the drill head I have still been looking at lead times for the Voyager and they seem to have lessened. And today I received an email from Nova that they are almost done with the quality checks on the drill head.

So now I need to make a decision - purchase the Viking drill head and mod my current DP or hold off another 3 months and wait for the Voyager. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    OMG - I owe you a beer! (but only if I can keep the can)

But wait a minute, you may be off a decimal?
    My bad. Number was correct. Forgot to say mm not niches.

What other advantages do you see you will get if you wait for the Voyager? That's the answer to your question and it doesn't impact things you need to do now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What other advantages do you see you will get if you wait for the Voyager? That's the answer to your question and it doesn't impact things you need to do now.
    Guess I will wait for the Voyager. It's the one I really want and looking over the Voyager/Viking manuals and videos there are quite a few user interface advantages for the Voyager besides the 2xpower, longer stroke, greater depth, and being floor standing.

Thanks for everyone's help!

How tall are you? You could make a hollow or solid plug that fits inside the existing tube and has a short section of the correct diameter above. raises the head 8-12 inches.
    BillD

I would wait for the Voyager. A few months go by quickly. Disappointment last much longer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Is the tube seamless? If not, there is a ridge on the inside. If your drill head is like most, it only bears at top and bottom. If that's the case, you could have a couple rings made, instead of a complete tube.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-29-2022 at 8:35 PM.

Did you look at exhaust pipe adapters? 3" od to 3" id. It might not be sufficient but it has about a 1/16" (.0625) wall thickness. Or just a short piece of 3" id exhaust pipe. Cut a split down one side.

Thanks for all the help. Changed my mind again and I received the Viking drill head couple days ago. I just ended up purchasing a tube and found a source to turn to the dimensions required. Should receive the sleeve next week. The sleeve was not as expensive as I had originally thought. Can't wait to put this thing together. (me being me - I will most likely purchase a Voyager down the road as they become more available (and don't include big handling charges) and sell this Viking or give it to my son.)

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 03-31-2022 at 2:15 PM.