Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get replacement pads for Irwin quick grip clamps

Blog Entries

Where to get replacement pads for Irwin quick grip clamps

Anyone know where to get new pads for these?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

I just did a Google search and turned up a bunch of hits.

Been a handful of years, but I either called or emailed Irwin an they sent me 8 or 10 at no charge. Might be worth checking with them.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Been a handful of years, but I either called or emailed Irwin an they sent me 8 or 10 at no charge. Might be worth checking with them.
    earl
    I had a similar experience over a decade ago, I bought a bunch of clamps on Craigslist and some were missing the pads, I contacted Irwin hoping to buy replacement pads and they sent me a few dozen, no charge. I needed something a few months later and called the same sales rep, he wasn't there anymore, maybe he was too generous.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    earl
    I followed your advice. I spoke with Irwin, I asked about buying new pads, they are sending new pads at no charge☺. Couldn't ask for better customer service!
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    I prefer gluing a thick leather pad to clamps. They never slip off, last just about forever, and are gentle on the wood.

Hope it works out for you! I really like Frank Pratt’s though on leather—I may try that.
    earl

Blog Entries
    So Irwin said they were going to send me the pads to replace the worn out ones I showed in my original post.
    Here is what they sent???? Cost on Amazon is $44.77!!! Cost of the four pads I needed is about $6.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

I called Irwin because one of my old quick clamps quit clamping. The model wasn't made any more so they asked me which one was the closest to mine. I told them and a week later I got a box with 6 clamps in it. I called them and they told that was the only way they came.

Frank, that’s a good idea! What glue are you using to bond leather to metal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    Frank, that’s a good idea! What glue are you using to bond leather to metal?
    I roughed up the face of the clamp well & used contact cement. Epoxy or even PVA glue would work as well. I glued the leather with the rough side exposed for a little better grip.

I wasn't sure where to buy the leather, so googled it. There is a store about 10 minutes away that sells nothing but hides. They had thousands of them in all colors & grades. I just bough a small whole hide. Can't remember how much I paid, but it was fairly inexpensive.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 03-03-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Blog Entries

This is nuts

So this arrived today from Irwin
    B3DCDE1D-F35A-4511-9F26-2E827780BC64.jpg

All I asked about were some new pads for my old clamps.
    I’d guess they’ve sent me $200 worth of clamps
    As some of you know I don’t make anything larger than 18” so it’s unlikely I’ll ever use them😊

PS my wife keeps saying “ what did you order now?”
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So this arrived today from Irwin
    B3DCDE1D-F35A-4511-9F26-2E827780BC64.jpg

All I asked about were some new pads for my old clamps.
    I’d guess they’ve sent me $200 worth of clamps
    As some of you know I don’t make anything larger than 18” so it’s unlikely I’ll ever use them

PS my wife keeps saying “ what did you order now?”
    Holy smokes!! Since i suggested that you call Irwin, and that suggestion is calling your marital integrity into question--i feel it's only right that i offer to let you send those clamps to me so you can prove to your wife that it really was not your fault. I'm awfully sorry for the trouble i caused you, so i'll split the shipping cost with you.

This is, to be sure, crazy!!
    earl

Irwin is owned by Stanley/Black and Decker/Dewalt. This seems to be common thing for them. I bought a $75 Stanley Fat Max laser off Amazon, and it didn't work the way it was supposed to (supposed to stay on even when off angle like for stair rails. Instead it shut off.) Amazon replaced it but second one was the same. I called Stanley tech support and the tech said it was a known problem and he would replace it with a Dewalt. Sent me a $350 Dewalt green laser, no charge. That did the same thing. Called him back and he sent me a different $350 Dewalt red laser. This worked as expected but now I had two lasers I hadn't paid for. I called him back and left a voice mail about sending me a label to send the other laser back. A week later I got another of the $350 Dewalt red lasers but no label. I called back 3 or 4 more times and left voice mails with him about sending the others back and never got a reply. I gave up after that. Anybody wanna buy a laser?

That really was very kind of them to send out new clamps. I suspect the longer ones can be shortened if that works better for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...