Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: You Know You're Getting Old When…

"would someone please tell me what a slider is..."

F. Small Hamburger
    G. Someone who plays curling
    H. A bobsledder
    I. Table saw with a sliding table
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    would someone please tell me what a slider is...I have done multiple searches trying to find out what a "slider" is.

thank you, Lawrence
    That is what many folks called the small hamburgers from White Castle.

Ever hear of J. Walter Anderson?

He was a short order cook in Wichita, Kansas and came up with the hamburger bun. He eventually opened his own diner, made from a converted trolley car, in 1920. It was so successful he opened more under the White Castle name.

And so began the first hamburger chain in America.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is what many folks called the small hamburgers from White Castle.

Ever hear of J. Walter Anderson?

He was a short order cook in Wichita, Kansas and came up with the hamburger bun. He eventually opened his own diner, made from a converted trolley car, in 1920. It was so successful he opened more under the White Castle name.

And so began the first hamburger chain in America.

jtk

No, I didn't know the history of the hamburger, you'd think it had a pig in there somewhere HAM--burger???
    ....I googled table saw sliders.. wow, I didn't know they made table saws that big either!!....still learning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    No, I didn't know the history of the hamburger, you'd think it had a pig in there somewhere HAM--burger???
    ....I googled table saw sliders.. wow, I didn't know they made table saws that big either!!....still learning
    There is a lot more history to it than that. The beginnings may be in the 13th century when nomadic horesemen known as Tarters overran Asia and Eastern Europe. The would place a hunk of horse meat or beef under their saddle. They would chop it up and eat it raw at the end of the day. (think steak tartar) This custom spread with trade in to an area now known as Hamburg Germany. The Germanic folks didn't eat horse meat. They would chop beef and add spices and also cooked it. In around 1879 Americans arriving on cargo ships in the ports enjoyed eating a sandwich served with buttered bread, pickle slices and a cooked egg in one of the restaurants near the docks. Interestingly this was referred to as American Steak. When they came back Stateside the ship workers would ask for a sandwich like the ones they were served in Hamburg.

There is a bit more than that in the story and other versions of ground meats including one going back to 5th century Rome.

Probably as many stories on hamburgers as there are ways to prepare them.

One of my favorites was made by a woman who mixed onions and chopped green olives into the meat before cooking. That was at least 50 years ago but if still has a fond spot in my memories.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

My mother was in Berkeley California during WW2. There was meat rationing but there was a horse meat butcher on the wrong side of the tracks. You could legally buy all the horse meat you wanted with no ration coupons. She was not brave enough to get any.
    Bill D

There is a lot more history to it than that. The beginnings may be in the 13th century when nomadic horesemen known as Tarters overran Asia and Eastern Europe. The would place a hunk of horse meat or beef under their saddle. They would chop it up and eat it raw at the end of the day. (think steak tartar) This custom spread with trade in to an area now known as Hamburg Germany. The Germanic folks didn't eat horse meat. They would chop beef and add spices and also cooked it. In around 1879 Americans arriving on cargo ships in the ports enjoyed eating a sandwich served with buttered bread, pickle slices and a cooked egg in one of the restaurants near the docks. Interestingly this was referred to as American Steak. When they came back Stateside the ship workers would ask for a sandwich like the ones they were served in Hamburg.

There is a bit more than that in the story and other versions of ground meats including one going back to 5th century Rome.

Probably as many stories on hamburgers as there are ways to prepare them.

One of my favorites was made by a woman who mixed onions and chopped green olives into the meat before cooking. That was at least 50 years ago but if still has a fond spot in my memories.

jtk
    okay...I'm trying to digest it all. but I'm not buying the bit about eating raw horsen meat that's been riding side saddle all day. The "sandwich served with buttered bread, pickle slices and a cooked egg" sounds kinda peculiar too.

5 Guys Hamburger Joint serves the best burgers around here...yumyum

Blog Entries
    5 Guys Hamburger Joint serves the best burgers around here...yumyum
    Only ate there once. We don't go out for burgers that often. Sadly before going back for another their store in town closed. They were right across from a well established burger emporium with local roots.

Burgerville is an Oregon/Washington chain that serves a pretty good burger. They will make them with raw and grilled onions which is a big plus for me.

California has In & Out Burgers. They also make a good burger my way. They also have possibly the shortest fast food menu in the industry with some off menu items for those who know.

FYI a Taco Bell employee told me they have the longest fast food menu in the industry. We no longer eat there since they went to a computer screen ordering system. It is the worst thing they could have done to the general public. One late morning I only wanted a soda and it was near impossible to get to beverages before ordering something else and giving me some grief about it. The guy at the screen next to me was having similar problems but getting through the maze. I finally asked one of the workers what had to be done to just order a medium beverage. She came to the screen and got to beverages in less than two minutes. My recollection is they couldn't take cash or it was a big deal so my debit card was used for a medium soda. After getting my drink and starting to leave the other person walked up and asked about his order. Turns out he spent a bunch of time ordering from the breakfast menu. The thing took his order but rejected his payment or something. Turns out it was after 11:00am and those items weren't available that late in the day. Some programmer saved a bunch of time by not having the system remove such items at a particular time of day. This was near the Portland International Airport. That was the last time for us at Taco Bell.

jtk

One late morning I only wanted a soda and it was near impossible to get to beverages before ordering something else and giving me some grief about it.jtk
    My wife and I tried ordering a couple chocolate dip ice cream cones at the local DQ drive through, the order taker spoke up and said they were all out of ice cream and that we could order a hamburger instead, ...my wife went nutso ....you're old if'n you can remember when the DQ sold ice cream.

Our local McDonald's has gone to the touch screen kiosks for ordering. It's hard to navigate and slow to use. The employees know it too - everytime I go it, an employee says, "Welcome. You can place your order at one of the kiosks, or I can take your order at the counter if you prefer." Needless to say, I order from the counter.

We used to stop at DQ for Blizzards after bowling on Wednesday nights, but the local store is so hit and miss on service that we now drive across town to go to the Baskin Robbins. It seems like DQ is either out of something (ice cream, toppings, flavorings (usually strawberry and raspberry)), or they close early, or the employees just ignore the drive thru entirely. I actually tried knocking on the drive-up window one night when they didn't respond at the menu board, and still couldn't get anyone to serve us. That was the last time we went there.

Last night, bowling went late, and I wasn't sure if we were going to make it by closing. My wife called ahead and they took her order and had it waiting for us when we got there. We made it at 5 minutes till close, but the girl my wife talked to on the phone said she would stay open until we got there. I thought that was really good service on their part.