Thread: Grizzly Planer Question

Grizzly Planer Question

On my Grizzly planer, I’m the middle of the top is a piece of plastic that impacts the depth of cut. Anyone
    with this planer, have you removed the plastic?

2D42D747-2BC5-4473-B846-112FE222D4A8.jpg

I think that is a safety feature so you do not take too deep a cut. it also prevents you from cutting into the table. On my parks planer with too deep a cut I have to manually lift the pressure bar to allow the wood to reach the cutterhead. That is easy to do since the pressure bar is the bottom of the intake shield. A more modern planer would be very hard to get to the pressure bar.
    Bill D

Ed I do not think that piece "limits " the cut. I think it is a visual line up to demonstrate where the knives project to. Showing you the rough thickness the planer would cut to.

My Powermatic has the same feature. In the manual it is described as "depth limiter".

I wouldn't remove it for the reasons Bill stated.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    It keeps you from trying to hog off a full width board at the max DOC. It physically limits how thick the board can be at that depth setting.

My powermatic planer has one that’s metal. Someday I’m going to remove it in hopes of destroying the bryd head.
    I really don’t like the small amounts of wood that can be cutaway.
    I mostly work with Rough wood so I need something that can hog wood. Something Made in America
    Aj

It is metal on my planer. If the board is narrow enough and you are taking a heavy cut use the space to the left or right of the depth limiter.

MK

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    My Powermatic has the same feature. In the manual it is described as "depth limiter".

I wouldn't remove it for the reasons Bill stated.
    This makes sense. I used to have a Delta DC380 and knew it was there for a reason, just remembered it wrong. Thanks for posting this.