Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Return Spring

Miter Saw Return Spring

I have a 12" Ridgid miter saw and the spring that lifts the saw off the cut no longer functions. Parts are NLA. I haven't taken it apart. The saw is still a pretty good machine other than that. Does anyone have any ideas to replace the spring or maybe has fixed the same issue?

Don't want to jury-rig anything, and will replace the saw if I can't figure it out.

Miter Saw.JPG
    Regards,

Kris

From a quick look at the parts list, it looks like a typical torsion spring. You would need to take it apart and measure the spring (length, diameter, no of turns, diameter of wire, etc.) and see if you can find a close enough replacement as a stock item. Or, Mcmaster will make one to order (custom torsion spring). Doesn't have to be a perfect replacement; all it's doing is supplying enough force to lift the saw back up.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Kris, those type of torsion springs are pretty common. In my opinion, it would be worth the effort to remove it to be used as a sample/model that could be measured for rough physical specs and the search for a replacement locally or online.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When I need springs, and the exact replacement isn't available, I have a favorite hardware store only a few miles away that has a huge filing system of drawers containing all kinds and sizes of springs, metric bolts, shoulder bolts, electrical components, and other tough to find items, and I compare my broken one to what they have. I found electric motor brushes there that only needed a light sanding of one edge to make them perfectly fit an old 1/2" drill that I have. It's been running on these modified brushes for about 10 years now. If a spring is the right size and shape, but too long, they can be cut to size. Heating the last turn until it's red and then let cool will make it possible to shape the end into a hook, etc. but only heat the last turn and keep the rest of the spring cool. I usually use a Bic lighter for this on small springs.

Charley

Possibly a spring from a different saw manufacturer would work?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

OK. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I will take it apart and look for a spring when I get done with my current trim project.

Appreciate the help.
    Regards,

Kris

A counterweight on a arm or pulley down the back will work fine.
    Bill D

I too have a hardware with about 200 springs in a set of drawers with a master chart that hangs on the wall. There is usually not a spring that matches what I need exactly, but something that's close enough for $3 or less will usually work, at least for a while.

I see nice used dewalts for about $100 fairly regularly. The one I bought is so much better than my old Ridgid.

Dan

I used to see old DeWalt 705s like mine for $100-150, but in the last couple of years DeWalt 12" saws have gone way up on Craigslist around here.

Several miter saw return springs on ebay for different manufacturers. I didn't see a Rigid, but it looks like a number of the different saws use the same spring. I doubt it's a custom part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A counterweight on a arm or pulley down the back will work fine.
    Bill D
    Bill - as I said I don't really want to jury-rig something.

What I should have said was I don't want to come up with a Rube Goldberg solution.
    Regards,

Kris

For drill presses some retrofit a gas spring. You can buy them with an adjustment valve to release some pressure.
    I know you do not want it too junky looking. Is this bench mounted or do you need to move it around.
    Bill D

Thanks Bill. Right now I am having to move it around some. I think the replacement spring will take care of it.

My mortiser has a gas spring and it seems to work well.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    I have a 12" Ridgid miter saw and the spring that lifts the saw off the cut no longer functions. Parts are NLA. I haven't taken it apart. The saw is still a pretty good machine other than that. Does anyone have any ideas to replace the spring or maybe has fixed the same issue?

Don't want to jury-rig anything, and will replace the saw if I can't figure it out.

Miter Saw.JPG

When you bought the saw, did you register the LSA? If so, let Ridgid furnish you a new saw.