Thread: Gerstner Machinist Chest Restoration PICS

Gerstner Machinist Chest Restoration PICS

Finally found a Gerstner machinist chest that I could afford. Unfortunately it's in very rough shape and will require a complete restoration to even make it useable. It seems the best approach might be to completely disassemble it. The joints on these were apparently put together with hide glue so I'm hoping everything will come apart with some heat or steam. Anyone tackle this kind of project with some suggestions?
    Gerstner 001.jpgGerstner 002.jpg

I just worked on one. My advice would be not to take it all apart. They are very well built. I simply removed all of the drawers, cleaned case inside and out and cleaned up and refinished. The drawers havea tin metal bottom...remove any felt and replace. I purchased a missing mirror and frame from Gerstner.

It turned out fine. If there are broken wood items, I would repair in place. The model and serial number will be on the case bottom under the bottom drawer. Online, you can find approx build date by descriptio s of the various marking methods.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

If you take a look at the Gerstner website, they link to an entire collection of videos on restoring a chest. Some really good info there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    I just worked on one. My advice would be not to take it all apart. They are very well built. I simply removed all of the drawers, cleaned case inside and out and cleaned up and refinished. The drawers havea tin metal bottom...remove any felt and replace. I purchased a missing mirror and frame from Gerstner.

It turned out fine. If there are broken wood items, I would repair in place. The model and serial number will be on the case bottom under the bottom drawer. Online, you can find approx build date by descriptio s of the various marking methods.
    It would be great if I could get by with just cleaning and refinishing but there is some damage caused by water. The back plywood panel has delaminated. The interior fixed platforms have also separated and drooped causing one of the drawers to not fit. There are also some joints that have separated. I see no other way to repair any of this without taking it completely apart. It almost seems not worth the effort but it's a grand old chest and I would hate to see it thrown away. It's a Model 42 according to what's written on the inside lower platform. I couldn't find a serial number.

Blog Entries
    Restoration of an old tool chest can be fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

I have that same Gerstner. It's a very nice machinist chest. I bought mine off ebay probably 20 years ago for a good price. When I was opening the packing, I dropped a drawer. Didn't know they just slid out, no catches. That drawer disassembled itself pretty easily when it hit the floor. Easy to glue back together too. I don't think it'll be very hard for you to take them apart if you want. The drawers are solid wood with a metal bottom in mine. Looks like it's your case that needs work, drawers might be ok? If you need pics or details on it, I'd be happy to share it from mine.

Great project!

For those who are interested in a "new" version of this toolbox, the latest Diresta video on the 'Tube should be right down your ally...the interlocking panel design is very interesting.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...