Thread: Sharpening Station idea

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Sharpening Station idea

Well, I haven’t necessarily “contributed” to the forum with any decent content, but I MIGHT have thought of something decent. I made this sharpening station with what I had laying around - plywood and leftover Sweetgum that I had from reclaimed wood.
    I made it a height that was under my jointer on wheels, since my shop is on one side of a two-car garage. I wanted a ready-to-go station where I could make a mess and not care. I made the lid so that I can throw my granite with sandpaper on it, which makes a bigger mess. Or if I want to quickly put the Tormek up there.
    I made it where I can quickly pop off the lid and run through all my stones, with the stop blocks for the LN honing guide ready to go. Also, from an article in FWW, I saw the value of covering the top with a drawer liner, from Home Depot. Makes wiping it up really easy. Lastly, having the flattening stone right there is nice to re-dress the stones. Those stone are 1k, 4K, 8k, 16k, 30k. It doesn’t take long to go through them to get sharp again.
    The drawers give me options to rearrange. The 5-gallons bucket with the lid is for rinsing off the stones after flattening them. I put it on a small foldable stool so I don’t have to bend down. This whole thing is subject to change but it works really well for a small space. I haven’t posted pictures before so I hope they came out ok.