Thread: How do I find a Maker with a 3D printer?

How do I find a Maker with a 3D printer?

Hi!

The dust chute on my old Delta miter saw finally gave up the ghost -- I have patched & epoxied & taped it for several years now (part is obsolete & no one has any New Old Stock) and it finally just dissolved beyond recognition.

In my fruitless search for a replacement part, I did find some files that a Maker had designed to 3-D print one for himself. But, I don't have a 3-D printer.

What do you think is the best way for me to contact someone who could crank out this part? I would gladly pay for materials, labor, handling, electricity, rent, depreciation, mental anguish, beverages to soothe mental anguish, and any other reasonable expenses associated with such an endeavor.

I have downloaded a STL file and a STEP file, (from https://hackaday.io/project/47172-re...-for-miter-saw ) but don't know if that's all that is needed...

I'm not sure if this is an Etsy thing, or some of those other new-fangled ways that connect consumers with Makers, but I am willing to be educated by the ever-impressive collection of minds here at the creek.

Any advice is appreciated!

JW

I think a good place to start would be to post on a woodworking forum, hmmm seems like you already thought of that, good chance someone on the forum will have or know someone who has a 3d printer and will respond. Course there's a better chance somone will suggest this is an excuse to buy a 3d printer.

Doug, I don't know how big this part might be, but that may well complicate your search for someone to print for you.. I have a printer and would be happy to print for you, but mine has a fairly small print envelope. (8" Sq x 6" high or so)

I would contact local high school or jr. college.
    Bill D

If you're on Facebook, search for a local makers group (just search groups for Makers). If there is a local one, join it and post a request. I'm a member of a local WW group and folks post requests for various ww projects often, and usually get a reply or three.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Doug, I don't know how big this part might be, but that may well complicate your search for someone to print for you.. I have a printer and would be happy to print for you, but mine has a fairly small print envelope. (8" Sq x 6" high or so)
    If I grabbed the right file, it's about 1.5" x 2.5"x 5".
    (I was going to make the same offer, but you're a lot closer. )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Mmm, closeness doesn't seem like it matters. The design file goes over the internet. Conversation goes over the phone, or even a video app. The printed part fits easily in a USPS flat rate box.

There are tons of online services that will print stuff for you. Most have nifty instant quoting tools on their websites. No need to find a friend with a printer - capitalism to the rescue

Google is your friend. Try this search: 3d printing services franklin tennessee

Several businesses in your area popped up. Even UPS! I didn't know they offered 3d printing..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks for the opportunity to make dent in my pile of "cutoffs" (nearly empty spools).

PM me your shipping address.

IMG_0380small.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Thanks for the opportunity to make dent in my pile of "cutoffs" (nearly empty spools).
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses... I had no idea that 3-D printing was so available (guess I'm a little behind the times).

And special thanks to David L Morse, who had the thing printed up quicker than I thought possible!

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post

PM me your shipping address.
    What a nice thing to do! Things like this are another reason I enjoy SMC so much!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”