Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad job coming

Three coats on, and I really like the way the EM sprays. If I sprayed it every day, I'd probably use the 310 for coverage in one pass. Not doing it very often, I think the 308 is more forgiving. We had a 7mph wind on the lake, and some more than that at the top of the hill where I was spraying, so I had to stay closer than 12", or the wind would blow too much of the fan out. I didn't see any need to even try the 306 Tritech tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR9TCTSXyrk

The gauge is a big help. Once a good setup is found, you can go right to that next time, and go right to work.l
    Attached Images Attached Images

Setup ready to go.

Looks good for base coat.

With airless waterborne, just drop the gun in water between coats. One gallon of EM8000 put three coats on both garage doors, with maybe a pint left.

I put a tractor bucket full of leaves in place to clean the rig out on. It was a perfect day to spray. I like days with a light wind, so I don't have to wear a respirator.

video link in post 46
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-02-2022 at 7:28 PM.

Normally, I don't work on Sundays, but with today and tomorrow being the only ideal days for a while, gotta go. The EM8000 sands beautifully, just like the Conversion Varnishs we used to know. It doesn't sand as easily as sanding sealer, but this is what I mean by "powders up nicely".

It looks like it's going to be warm enough tomorrow to spray all day long, and get enough coats on them to finish.

Blowing 17 mph today, so a good day for sanding.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-06-2022 at 12:06 PM.

Wind was 16 mph to start with this morning, and steadily building. I set up with the house blocking the wind, and put them back in the garage after spraying each section. The Halcyon really is fast drying, so was able to get the first two coats on before lunch. When pouring the Totalboat Halcyon into the container, it was obivous it was a little thicker than the Target Coatings EM8000cv, so I tested with 1000 psi, but that wasn't quite enough. 1050 gave the fluid flow I wanted.

Picture with window reflection is first coat almost dry. I hope to get three more coats on this afternoon, and be through with this job.

There's heavy wind forecast today/tonight as that cold front moves west to east with a significant temperature difference...batten the hatches!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This time of year, any time we get this warmth, it's brought here by a strong SW wind in advance of a front. I'm missing a good day for windsurfing, but need to get this job behind me. Third coat on.

The little flecks of trash in the first coat were taken out with a fingernail, and smoothed over with a Scotchbrite pad. After two more coats, they're not visible. A couple of young helpers showed up, so they were able to get the sections back in the garage a lot faster than I was able to by myself this morning. I hope to get two more coats on, at least.

Finally finished. It was mainly a bad job because of the length of time it took, and having to catch the weather just right this time of year.

It does look good. As good ,or better than any other burial niches ! At Halloween I would stick little name tags on each panel…like
    Don His-Best, Dawn Dunn Lawne , Robert the Rake, Roland Skates, Fert Elizer, Rope A. Dope, Mel Feezanse….you get the idea !!
    May the varnish not tarnish.
    Tom, don’t tell them it was my idea, you take the credit !!

They look REALLY good, Tom!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow! Comparing before and after, one would find it hard to believe its the same doors. Well done!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Wow! Comparing before and after, one would find it hard to believe its the same doors. Well done!!
    Yea, +1 !! That came out great! Congrats Tom!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks guys. I knew what they would end up like, but also knew it was going to be a bad job getting there. That waterborne marine varnish really is a major advance in time savings. It used to be you would have to wait a day between coats, and sand before the next one went on. With this, there was no sanding after sanding the base coat, and I was able to put on 6 coats in one day in March.

If it lasts close to as long as the old standards, it will be well worth it. I'll try to remember to post to this thread when it first starts looking ratty again.