Thread: Bad job coming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EM8000 as first coats/primer and Totalboat Halcyon for topcoats. I had to look back through the thread to remember. There's probably a picture of the side of the sprayer box with the tip size and pressure written in magic marker. This has been a long thread with a good number of looks every day, so I thought I'd update it two years plus on.

The doors face East under a big soffit and wide door jambs with only about an hour of direct Sun in the mornings with a lot of help from tree leaves after the leaves come out. I think the Sun is low enough when the leaves are off the trees that they don't get a lot then either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    EM8000 as first coats/primer and Totalboat Halcyon for topcoats. I had to look back through the thread to remember. There's probably a picture of the side of the sprayer box with the tip size and pressure written in magic marker. This has been a long thread with a good number of looks every day, so I thought I'd update it two years plus on.

The doors face East under a big soffit and wide door jambs with only about an hour of direct Sun in the mornings with a lot of help from tree leaves after the leaves come out. I think the Sun is low enough when the leaves are off the trees that they don't get a lot then either.
    Thanks Tom. How did you decide on that combination? Why not just one or the other?

John

I went over it earlier in the thread, and you even helped me decide back then. Priorities were as long lasting as possible while being the easiest to redo possible. The original stuff was very hard for several reasons to sand and get off down to bare wood. You know how conversion varnish sands away nicely, so that was the reason for the first coats, but I wanted something more durable for the surface. It would probably be different if there wasn't so much surface area and not easy to get down to bare wood shaped surfaces. Consider this is six times the surface area of a normal 3 foot entry door.

Thanks Tom. Clearly I had forgotten the whole story, and was too lazy to reread it all. Thanks for the summary. Two years in and the doors still look great. I think you've found a winning combination.

John