Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring a de Havilland Mosquito

The Spitfire as well as the later model P51s had the Merlin engine as well.

I have seen the Merlin engine (built by Rolls Royce in Britain, and Packard in the US) referred to as the engine that won the war.
    Regards,

Kris

Speaking of Packard, here's a crazy story: My wife's stepfather (died long before she and I were together/never met him) was an executive in the petroleum industry during the WWII era and among other things, worked either at or with Packard in some capacity. His business took him to countries like Iran and Iraq back when civilians still could freely travel there (side note: My MIL has a framed display on her wall with his passport stamps to Afghanistan, etc. and pictures from Iran and so on. Truly one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen). Anyhow, getting back to Packard, SF apparently was also working for the US Gov't as a spy or at least intelligence observer during these trips. MIL explained to me that the gov't would approach people in positions like this, who had diplomatic access to foreign interests and say, "You're going to do this for us". She told me that one time, SF was at a Packard facility and shot a fleeing German infiltrator in the back as he tried to climb a fence and escape capture. SF apparently was also a private single-engine pilot. She said that he would fly between cities by following the railroad tracks. One time, she said he fell asleep at the controls and woke up in a different state. You can't make this stuff up. When I was a kid, I could've cared less about history. As an adult, I can't get enough of stories like this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

US PT boats had three packard merlin engines. That was the base for the cigarette racing boats after the war. v12 engines with 24 platinum sparkplugs each. After the war surplus ones cost about $500. The sparkplugs sold for over $750 for a set of 24. Regular plugs cost under $5 for a set of 24. Easy money for some.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I get more and more interested in history as well. I have worked for Col. Peter M. Dunn USAF retired. For nearly 30 years.
    Some of his writings are available at the University library. I need to check them out.
    -The First Vietnam war Hurst 1985
    -The American war in Vietnam Praeger 1987
    He is highly decorated and did 3 tours in Vietnam operating mostly in the North.

Col. Dunn looks and talks a bit like Harrison Ford and speaks just as affectionately about the immortality of a quality airframe.

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-19-2022 at 4:05 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    US PT boats had three packard merlin engines. That was the base for the cigarette racing boats after the war. v12 engines with 24 platinum sparkplugs each. After the war surplus ones cost about $500. The sparkplugs sold for over $750 for a set of 24. Regular plugs cost under $5 for a set of 24. Easy money for some.
    Bill D
    Was just watching some YouTube videos a couple of weeks ago with a restored PT boat. Pretty cool.

I remember reading somewhere probably 10 or 15 years ago - in 1970 you could buy a P51 for $5,000. At the time I read that they were worth north of $1MM. Now, probably priceless. I have wanted to go to the Reno Air Show but have never made it. I know there were a few running there a few years back.
    Regards,

Kris

Maurice - thanks for the video. I just watched the whole thing.

This may be of some interest. In the early 90s I was in Phoenix for some training and went to Mesa, AZ to the CAF museum to get some pictures. They were getting ready to close and basically let me in and locked the door behind me. Pre-digital (for me) I had six rolls of film with me. I spent the next 2 hours going through the museum on my own. The place was amazing.

The one that stands out for me, and is most ironic - I took a bunch of pictures of the Heinkel HE-111 bomber while I was there. Some years later, that particular airplane was flying from Texas to Missoula, MT and crashed, killing all aboard.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    I wrote a true story that tells about my becoming interested in airplanes. It got a few likes on an aircraft page.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Col. Dunns book arrived today. He is a true freedom fighter. I appreciate his efforts more every day.
    Reading about the Mosquito already and only on the preface.

Photo on 3-11-22 at 7.08 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-12-2022 at 11:13 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    There was a time (late '40s early 50s?) when you could get a Merlin engine with a P51 attached for $500. Today you add three 000 for a ratty one and go up from there.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-12-2022 at 7:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    youTube took its time getting this video in my "up next" It is a good one.

Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

ETA _ They have all electric Beavers operating out of Vancouver now, too.
    Not quite yet but they are close. "
    Harbour Air has been working on converting its fleet into electric aircraft since 2019, and the company said earlier this year it was hoping to launch its first commercial electric seaplane by 2023."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Col. Dunns book arrived today. He is a true freedom fighter. I appreciate his efforts more every day.
    Reading about the Mosquito already and only on the preface.

Photo on 3-11-22 at 7.08 PM.jpg
    This was positively the most difficult book I have ever read. The Mosquito plays a small role, flying photo reconnaissance missions. There was one squadron of Spitfires that saw very little action. Dakotas were used often. As to Vietnam being a debacle, it certainly was. Much of the blame could be placed on France for 100 years of treating the Vietnamese poorly. Japanese aggression and war crimes contributed as well. The USA was not a primary player except for some bad and shady activity of the OSS. Douglas Gracey's summary "A basket of crabs" sums it up. (a basket of crabs all heavily armed).
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-18-2022 at 6:11 PM. Reason: trying to say it nicely
    Best Regards, Maurice