Thread: Angry unpaid contractor ?

Angry unpaid contractor ?

https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/02/m...f-a-cabin.html

Has to be far more to this story. Number of local companies who would be capable of winching this cabin up on a truck & hauling away should be a short list of suspects. Either that or it did not go very far away. One would think that owner would have tied down/attached to foundation.

Blog Entries
    People don’t believe me when I tell them about the entire beach that was stolen in Jamaica, but it did happen.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2008/oct/21/jamaica

People will steal anything. There was also a large telecom building in Trinidad that was stripped overnight of all walls, wiring, furniture- probably about a 50x100’ building. I saw the remnants of it. A whole gang came in and took it.

Cabin was/is located on a fairly busy paved highway/rd for area = somebody/many surely saw something. Owner may know who stole it. Not a subtle removal.

3 men and a conex hauler could probably scoop that cabin up and be gone in 15 minutes...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    3 men and a conex hauler could probably scoop that cabin up and be gone in 15 minutes...
    I agree. Portable buildings like that can be moved easily and "lickety split" if one wants to.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Within the last month or so...(I lose track of time)...
    A large (over 60') mobile home was taken from a dealer in Harrisonburg, VA..
    They recovered it about 100 miles away due to all the mailboxes that were destroyed by the mobile home when they towed it down a narrow road...

Several years ago at the height of the scrappers stealing stuff the police department shut down their auxiliary station in a trailer. It was parked in a field near a busy road. Scrappers pulled the aluminum window frames. I think they took the ac unit off the roof. Then they stole the aluminum siding leaving the insulation and wood studs.
    City had to pay to get it scrapped.
    There was a aluminum extruder who went bankrupt so ownernship was in question. Hazardous waste contamination meant no one wanted to own it.
    Scrapers went in and stole all the aluminum stock then slowly took down the several acre size metal building. Including taking the piping off the plastic tanks full of hazardous liquids which soaked into the ground.
    Police said ownership was unclear so there was no crime. No trespassing since no one would complain. Of course there were no demolition permits or calosha site inspections.
    Bill D

People have stolen those temporary bank trailers. Large boats, etc. My wife once worked for a trade organization of companies that moved large buildings. One of their members moved the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. Police from all over the world would call asking about what kind of equipment would be required to move steal large things. One was a large war memorial in South America. A friend of mine has a construction company. I saw him load his huge track hoe onto a trailer and haul it away in less than 10 minutes after he arrived, and that was him by himself. Those shed building companies have fancy swivel/extend a deck trailers with winches. It takes no time for a shed like that. I once moved an 10 x 14 shed by myself with no power equipment. Jacked it up and put PVC pipe under it. I could push the thing with one hand.. moved it about 200 ft. Piece of cake.

If it can be delivered by truck it can be taken by same.

Blog Entries
    Apparently there is a one month time of when it may have happened.

Depending on when it happened, people driving by probably didn't suspect or notice a thing.

We have a 10X20 shed we got at a discount because it was foreclosed after the first buyer stopped making payments.

Off the ground and on the road lickity split.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Apparently there is a one month time of when it may have happened.

Depending on when it happened, people driving by probably didn't suspect or notice a thing.

We have a 10X20 shed we got at a discount because it was foreclosed after the first buyer stopped making payments.

Off the ground and on the road lickity split.

jtk

There are You Tubes of shed repo's.

When my grandfather died during the depression they had little money so they bought a used grave site. family plot for four was cheaper then a new single plot. Story was another families grand parents had been buried then the family moved away so they paid to have them dug up and reburied at the new town. The grave was fine only used once, and on Sundays.
    Bill D

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That’s still a LOT of man-hours! 250 men x (5 min move time + 55 min avg travel time via horse-and-buggy) = 250 man hours.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    That’s still a LOT of man-hours! 250 men x (5 min move time + 55 min avg travel time via horse-and-buggy) = 250 man hours.

I bet the lunch they earned was worth it.