Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk vises

My computer locked up during my reply and when I restored it I had all the pictures but if you click on the attachment they will come up.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    My computer locked up during my reply and when I restored it I had all the pictures but if you click on the attachment they will come up.
    I'm getting 'Invalid attachmen t specified' when I click on the attachments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I'm getting 'Invalid attachmen t specified' when I click on the attachments.
    Same here.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Shoulder vise during construction

DSC03247.JPG

leg vise during construction

DSC03252.JPG

Building moxon vise into bench at build.

DSC03241.JPG DSC03242.JPG DSC03243.JPG DSC03244.JPG DSC03245.JPG

And a picture of my wagon vise

DSC03417.JPG
    Tom

A picture of the front and pictures of the front with the Moxon finished.

DSC03414.JPG DSC03270.JPG DSC03272.JPG

Please remember that this is in response to the original post about sawing tenons. And that in the picture of the front there are several holes in the tops face . Three are for the moxon vise and the others are for holdfasts. the board can be clamped straight or at an angle using the shoulder vise and holdfasts. If holes would be places in a Roubo type then a leg vise would work even better also.
    Tom

After watching this video, it got me thinking about a built in Moxon vise. In the video, she used square nuts mortised into the side of the portable bench. I could easily add that to my bench and never have to store a Moxon again and it would always be there as a 3rd vise. Maybe I would remove my face vise before installing this. Something to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    After watching this video, it got me thinking about a built in Moxon vise. In the video, she used square nuts mortised into the side of the portable bench. I could easily add that to my bench and never have to store a Moxon again and it would always be there as a 3rd vise. Maybe I would remove my face vise before installing this. Something to ponder.
    Richard, I will respond to this, although I am really venting since these videos really irk me.

Firstly, Tamar's video is a rehash of a rehash or a rehash of the Moxon by BenchCraft. This video is clickbait. I really have no idea how much actual woodwork knowledge and experience Tamar has, but she has come up on YouTube in the past few years, and appears to make a living out of clickbait videos.

Secondly, I have long advised against a table attached to a Moxon (or a Moxon built into the face of a bench, ala double screw). The reason is simple - it placed the pin board flush with the top of the chop, and you will score it with a knife when transferring marks from the tail board. If you can live with a tatty chop, then by all means ... Otherwise raise the work piece up off the chop (with a spacer), but then you no longer have any use for the table.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looking forward to Derek's reasoned, experienced response. I struggle with sawing fussy stuff at my bench. My personal take, with my eyes and my back, is my Moxon (when I get around to building it) is going to have the top of the vise very near my nipple height so I don't have to bend. The older I get, the less I like to bend.

I'm with you Scott, I really should build a normal moxon for that reason.

Derek, have you seen my bench? It isn't exactly a showpiece. As for click bait, yeah the photo of that beautiful bench drew me right in and I had considered it as well but as it is I hate dragging out the pipe clamp Moxon I built. Maybe if I were to build a nice one with good Benchcrafted hardware, I might like it a bit more. I hate my front vise and that may because of the way I installed it. I ruined the bottom of a Veritas BU plane on it. All my vises need some TLC and a good start might be removing the face vise and replacing it with a better one which I have on a shelf. It isn't a quick release but there's no metal near the work surface.

Please remember that this is in response to the original post about sawing tenons. And that in the picture of the front there are several holes in the tops face . Three are for the moxon vise and the others are for holdfasts. the board can be clamped straight or at an angle using the shoulder vise and holdfasts. If holes would be places in a Roubo type then a leg vise would work even better also.
    That's the setup I want. Beautiful.

I was just looking at the WR Moxon hardware and there's a considerable savings. Have any of you used it? It actually looks nicer.

The vise can be added to the bench It will take an afternoon but it is not complicated. But this is not the place for how so let me knw if some would like to read about.

any will disagree with me, especially Roubo owners but that is just fine with me. Only you can decide what vise vises, are right for you. If you want help adding a shoulder vise please let me know and I will help in anyway I can.
    I would absolutely like to do this and your help would be much appreciated. I have to finish making my saw and plane tils plus chisel rack and stuff. I'm in desperate need of organization. Maybe a couple months down the road, I'll be ready for this.

As for my re-sawing, after giving it a lot of thought, I think I'll just use my bandsaw and just cut the width down to 6". I'll be left with 1" x 2" x 20" rosewood for making chisel handles or something.

Wish I would have seen this a month ago or waited to start my bench ! I just finished my 1st bench and didn't build any vise into it I bought a quick release 9" vise from Rockler. I know now I need a Moxon or shoulder vise and really like the way yous looks. It seems if you have a Moxon would you need the shoulder ? My bench is pretty short just over 6' so I'm thinking a built in Moxon on the end which would give probably about 18" or so between the screws. I don't think I'd like the permanent hardware on the front as it may get the way when not in use.

Derek C, I've only cut 2 dovetails and don't really understand the "tatty chop" I know after using my bench a few times I'll figure out. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I used the cheapest wood I could find for the laminated top and if it gets marked up It won't be the end of the world.

One thing I learned was the incredible amount of time it takes (or took me) to build a bench if I had known a hand cut M&T joint was going to take 1-2 hrs each I would have used a better quality wood ! The expression of "gold plating a turd" really fits my bench.
    Thanks to everyone here posting up lots of great info.

I built my first moxon vise from the plane from bench crafted. It turned out to be quite heavy. Why? because the back needs to be thick to prevent the back from bowing during clamping. Bench Crafted's spacing is 24 inches but most work in a moxon vise is far less than 24 inches.

One of the hardest things to have in a shop is storage. At least in my shop. Stuff that is stored under the bench tends to stay there and gathers dust. As one (in my case ) gets older it gets harder to bend over so, it is harder to get something stores back a ways under the bench. So I put drawer under the bench so I can keep the things I use at the bench at the bench. My dovetail saw is in the second drawer down on the left side. With the drawers under the bench it made it harder to clamp stuff to the bench top.

Well I sold that bench which was my third and the one pictured is my fourth.

When I build the forth I captures 3 nuts in the bench top which is a little over 4 inches thick. I used the bench as a stiffener for the back of the vise. I screw in the 2 studs slide the back jaw on and secure it with 2 nuts. If you look closely at the pictures above you will see the development for the height of the actual vise jaw. There was quite a few sawing cuts to get the top height just right. If you build a clamp on vise to some plans then your body has to make an adjustment for sawing. if you build the vise with the sawing heights established then what is the difference and as far as

When I build this bench I worked around all the short comings I had experience with other benches. I buried 3 nut when building this bench so I could shorten up the distance for smaller pieces and therefore make the front vise out of 4/4ths material instead of 6/4ths or 8/4ths material. Because the bench side stiffens the back jaw it to can be made out of 4/4 material. The top of the jaw was made level after it slid over the studs and keys were installed in the back vise so the board could be squared up with the top without getting a square and every thing is true to the eye for the best cutting. One can't see square if the piece is out of square with horizontal.

It is easier to store 2 flat boards than a whole vise. The metal parts are in a drawer under the bench. Since I do not use the moxon vise all that much the metal is stores on the back side so I do have to walk around the bench to get it. Stuff that is use more often is stored in the front.

Derek doesn't like the vise built into the bench but whether it is clamped on or clamped to the side is a moot point in my opinion. The top of the vise is well above the top of the bench so I do not understand his argument about marking or cutting into the chop. Marking and cutting will be the same whether or not it is built in or clamped on. The rest is geography.

I do no understand Derek's reasoning, but I defend his right to make and use his vise anyway he wants to. I built mine into my bench because that is how I wanted to do it. I didn't ask anyone for anyone's permission or for their opinion. nor did I research to see if it had been done that way in the past. I have a nasty habit of evaluating every thing I do to see if I can do it faster or better or to avoid problems I encountered in the past so I don't repeat them in the future.
    Tom