Thread: Planning Ahead for Child's Bed Build

Planning Ahead for Child's Bed Build

I'm currently building a bed for my daughter which will feature 3/8" thick vertical ship lap that will sit in a groove in the headboard and footboard. I'm resawing this from 4/4 stock. I always like to plan an "escape route" or alternative should some problem arise. My concern is that as twist and cupping is worked out of the 4/4 stock, then resawed, and additional twist/bow/cupping is worked out of that as needed, I'm trying to decide on a plan should those panels come out a little thin. Of course, I don't want these panels to be very loose.

The first fix that comes to mind is gluing in very thin shims as needed into the groove. I'm wondering if there is a more traditional, elegant, or better way that I'm not thinking of to better secure a slightly loose floating panel. I know there's those tiny rubber or plastic balls that exist that can be placed in the grooves of shaker style doors to prevent the panels from rattling, but I don't believe that would work in this application.

Thanks for any help,
    Brandon
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could make the entire groove narrower than the thinner boards, and form the ends of all the boards into tenons which fit this narrower groove.

Or you could spend a few more bucks, and give up on cutting 4/4 stock perfectly in half. That’s what I’d do. Re-sawing 4/4 into two straight unwarped pieceswill be challenging at best. With additional thickness, i’d use tongue-and-groove instead of ship lap. It won’t open up if somebody presses hard on it.

Blog Entries
    I would make the ship lap panels first and then cut the groove to fit the final dimensions of the panel pieces.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Do all of the above.