Thread: Compressor Overkill?

Compressor Overkill?

Below is a pic of my compressor(s) setup. The 60 gallon, 5 hp vertical tank compressor is for day to day use. The larger horizontal tank compressor was purchased mainly because of getting a good deal on it. I figured the additional tank would provide some reserve capacity even without the compressor operating. And could be fired up if additional volume was needed for sandblasting, etc. It has an 80 gallon tank with a 2 stage compressor and 5 hp, 3 phase motor. I have to turn on my phase converter to run it. I haven't decided on how to plumb everything yet but the 60 gallon compressor is functional. The 1" copper riser feeds a 3/4" copper loop that runs around the perimeter of the shop. There are 1/2" copper drops through out where needed.
    Compressor 001.jpg

Is the vertical two stage? If so it is good for most blasting. Set the horizontal pressure cut in 5-10psi below the vertical. I would recommend not more then 100-110Psi cut off and 65-80 PSI cut in. Increase the motor pulley diameter to increase flow at these lower PSI's safely. At lower pressures the pumps run quieter and cooler last longer.
    An intake muffler will help quiet things down. I use an old oil bath air cleaner on the intake to quiet it down. A big lawn mower or motorcycle muffler works well.
    Bill D

Hardly....
    Attached Images Attached Images

One gold mine in the mother clode blasted out a room in solid granite. Sealed up the opening and used it for an air tank. No rusting inside.
    Bill D

I plumbed a couple of refinishing shops in the past and one was close to your setup. One was a 80-gal 2 stage vertical and the other was a 100 gal horizontal 4 piston 3 phase. I put a manifold between the 2 compressors, and IIRC I put ball on each so either compressor could be taken out of the mix at any time if needed. After the manifold there was a big water and oil Seperator. Being there was a number of pneumatic tools used, 3/4" lines were run the 1/2" drops with a water collector on each one. Each drop also had a ball valve shutoff in case of a line failure. The compressors were staggered on cuttin pressure so the 80-gal unit kicked in first then the 100. They used that set up for several years till the shop moved.

In the machine shop, we ran three compressors plumbed to a manifold that then fed the various dryers/separators and shop air plumbing. Each compressor was set to cut in and cut out at different PSI. That way we only ran as many as needed. Monthly, the cut in/out points were rotated so a different compressor carried the heaviest load. With careful planning, we could get by on two units so the third could be repaired or have maintenance done.