Thread: All Wooden Door Catch Ideas Wanted

All Wooden Door Catch Ideas Wanted

I'm looking for an idea here, for a cabinet door catch that's all wood and not visible, or at least not very visible.

One I've seen involves putting your finger thru a hole and moving a bar inside the cabinet. That'll work but I'm open to others.

Your request has me curious about the project in question. What type of door, inset, overlay? I've used what Rockler calls "snap closing" knife hinges that incorporate a simple spring to hold the door closed. The ones I've used are for overlay door applications.

James Krenov used a wooden latch in some of his cabinets. There is a photo and description in his book "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook" on page 41. No dimensions, I am guessing it to be 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" deep with a screw in the center. A spring is mortised under the front. The front edge is beveled so the door will close under it and the spring holds tension down on the door. Sort of a wooden version of a ball catch. Hope my description makes sense, maybe you can get a copy at the library to see the photo.

Blog Entries
    Is a knob on the front of the door too visible?

A knob with a through base can have a dowel on it that falls into a mortise on the frame and retracts into a mortise in the door by turning the knob.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is a tool cabinet for an apartment woodworker, which may be me in the future. It will have seven drawers plus 3 shelves behind an inset door. While it will use conventional hinges and modern drawer slides I am trying for a more timeless vibe where it makes sense.

A wooden ball catch inspires some interesting options.

So do spring hinges, but a door that won't stay open isn't going to work.

A hidden deadbolt with a knob seems good. It could have two gravity detents. It will need to stay closed without rattling. Adding a spring or magnet might be ok, and a metal bolt may be ok also.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 02-15-2022 at 7:44 AM.