Thread: Older Jessem router table opinions?

Older Jessem router table opinions?

I’m thinking about buying a router table like the one in the attached pics for about $500. Are there any major things I should know of with this? It’s got a Milwaukee 3.5hp motor, lift, miter gauge, looks like a nice piece of kit. Opinions? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Overall, I think they make good stuff. If it is like this setup, it was probably $2K plus originally.

The miter slide is a nice feature. Mine doesn’t have a stand. I would suggest enclosing the router.

The only concern I might have is trying to swap out the router if necessary as the lift may only fit certain size routers. Other than the standard things to check, I would check on flatness of top, if it has throat plates, and a starting pin. Mine didn’t come with a pin, and for me I find them handy.

good luck

Thanks Travis. I’m pretty sure the Milwaukee router is the same as the standard porter cable, but I’ll check that.

The Milwaukee 15 amp router is the functional equivalent of the old PC 7518 for these applications. You'll even find them on some brands of CNC machines that offer a router motor as a lower cost alternative to a spindle where the same brands used to use the PC that is now out of manufacture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I know there are some other router motor options out there too that are the same diameter as the old PC’s.

I think it's worth while. Just the router and the lift would be worth $500 to me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Matt,

I have been using the MastRLift for about 9 years or so. It is an excellent setup. The difference between the one you are looking into and my setup is the raise/lower system (handle versus hex bit disc).

As a reference, my system cost more than 1200$ (Canadian) when I purchased it in 2013 and the one you are looking at is more expensive. I am running a Makita 1101 in the lift and it will accommodate many router models and sizes.

Above the table adjustments are great.

J.
    Last edited by Jacques Gagnon; 02-15-2022 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Added details

I have the same fence, slider and lift. All have worked great. I particularly like the miter slider. The lift has had a belt and gear wear out, but Jessum send replacement parts quickly and reasonably $. 500 seems to me to be a bargain!

Thanks guys. I was supposed to buy it this morning but the seller had something come up. Fingers crossed he doesn’t sell it out from under me.

Welp, we had planned to meet this morning at a time and place and he cancelled last minute. I asked what time he was free and he marked the item sold. Said his brother sold it to somebody else. Bummer.

Matt sorry to hear things went wrong. I have bought and sold a bunch of machines and there have been deals that evaporated on me as well. Some people just do not keep their word. Eventually things even out if you keep on trying/looking.

Oh yeah, I’ve had this happen before and it won’t be the last time. At least I didn’t drive 90 minutes to find out it wasn’t there. I had plans to rearrange my shop and everything. Oh well.

You might have dodged a bullet.
    I'm pretty sure that router was a Milwaukee 5626 - not a 5625.

The 5626 was a Jessum exclusive - it was a Milwaukee 3.5hp motor with a separate on/off switch and speed control - which if you look close you can see that's what that table has.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yes, I noticed that Rich but it didn’t worry me. Thanks for pointing it out.

My worst one was a guy with a Delta RC51 planer for stupid cheap . Literally phoned him 17 minutes after the add was posted. Told him I wanted it , even offered to E -transfer a deposit . He was older and did not know how E-transfers worked so declined but promised to hold it. Jumped in my truck and was leaving town when my phone rang. He told me he sold it to someone else, said this guy phoned and he did not know what to do.(this was 20 minutes after he told me he would hold it.) I was very upset and suggested he should have kept his word and taken the guy's phone number if I did not show. Not much you can do. I have also had experiences that were completely opposite and worked out very well. It is called life.