Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Phase convertors?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Hey Nick,

How many single phase 240v amps are coming in to the RPC?
    I have a 60amp breaker feeding the RPC. Thinking it'll work so long as both machines aren't turned on at the same time.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Crivello; 02-20-2022 at 12:02 PM.

A disk sander or big grinder can be used as an extra idler motor if needed. I suppose a dc fan motor may work. All three have no moving parts bedsides the motor to wear.
    Bill D

The old carnys used to pull start their motors with a rope I used to work for a printing company and we printed a bunch of hints and facts for doing stuff to get by.

I remember back in 1964 my dad needed a phase converter to run his water pumps. An old electric repair man made him one the GE said could not be done. Worked for many years until he bought a new boiler. The same old guy made him a rotary phase converter by adding a floating motor. Pumps were 15 and 30 HP and boiler was 7 1/2 HP so the floating motor would take the shock of starting it.

Happily running an American Rotary ADX 30hp for my wide belt sander and jointer. Very low power consumption, quiet, good customer service. I looked hard at digital units like the Phase Perfect and decided the longevity, simplicity, and product support of the American Rotary was worth saving cash for.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

the 10hp PP puts out 36a 3phase so you need an 80a single phase supply. You can run less to it and the available output will be less. I think mine is fed by 60a because it’s the breaker i had on hand. Everything is wired for full load so i can up the breaker at a later date if needed but that hasn’t happened yet…

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    Spoke to someone at PP today and got some info....couple of quick questions.....

Why do I need an 80 amp breaker for a 10hp PP that only draws 30 amps? Am I missing something there?

2) Can one of you explain to me how I could make a VFD work for this machine? I guess I don't quite understand how it becomes a phase convertor so that I can run a 3p machine off my single power?

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    the 10hp PP puts out 36a 3phase so you need an 80a single phase supply. You can run less to it and the available output will be less. I think mine is fed by 60a because it’s the breaker i had on hand. Everything is wired for full load so i can up the breaker at a later date if needed but that hasn’t happened yet…
    Good to know, and that's one of the big questions I had, was how big the breaker needs to be on the single phase panel. So here's another question, does the PP draw anything unless the machine attached is drawing something? And also, let's say my saw says 25a...that's 25a 3 phase right, and so how much draw does that put on the single....someone said something like 1.7 so that's around 45....now that typical 25 saw....is that like a peak load or is that what it's drawing just running under typical load, say cutting a sheet of ply? My concern here is that I have only a 60a breaker into my subpanel....my shop lights and air cleaner as well as some of my 115 outlets are on the main panel....but most of my machinery is plugged into the panel...in which case I typically only run 1 machine and the DC at the same time. The DC is a 5hp so will I be able to use one of these saws with numbers like that or am I going to have to upgrade my panel to be larger? I know you're probably not an electrician, so this is all experience and opinion based (I don't want to call the electrician for answers because I am sure they will start costing me money before even buying something lol).

Thanks

1st thing to check is the wire size feeding that subpanel and the breaker that feeds it, the wire may be able to carry more than the 60a like in my situation.

3p output is 1/2 single p input. The PP itself draws virtually nothing when its idle or when you are running machines.

I only have 60a going to my shop and all the lights are on, the air compressor can kick on and at the same time i can start a 7.5 hp 3p saw and a few seconds later a 1p 3hp dust collector and while all that is running i can start my single phase ad941 which i think is 3-4 hp AND while all of that is running i have started my 1p mm16 which i think is 3.5hp. And of course there are battery chargers and tasks lights on as well.

Good to know, and that's one of the big questions I had, was how big the breaker needs to be on the single phase panel. So here's another question, does the PP draw anything unless the machine attached is drawing something? And also, let's say my saw says 25a...that's 25a 3 phase right, and so how much draw does that put on the single....someone said something like 1.7 so that's around 45....now that typical 25 saw....is that like a peak load or is that what it's drawing just running under typical load, say cutting a sheet of ply? My concern here is that I have only a 60a breaker into my subpanel....my shop lights and air cleaner as well as some of my 115 outlets are on the main panel....but most of my machinery is plugged into the panel...in which case I typically only run 1 machine and the DC at the same time. The DC is a 5hp so will I be able to use one of these saws with numbers like that or am I going to have to upgrade my panel to be larger? I know you're probably not an electrician, so this is all experience and opinion based (I don't want to call the electrician for answers because I am sure they will start costing me money before even buying something lol).

Thanks

Good to know! I will check the wire to the panel but I know the breaker is 60....oh and I have my mini split on it too.... forgot that.... in the winter it gets used often but once nighttime Temps get above 46 I only will use it a handful of times for ac in the summer.

When is the last time any of you tripped a breaker due to drawing too much current?

(it happens, but pretty rarely and most of us have put in excessive capability from what actually gets used...)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    When is the last time any of you tripped a breaker due to drawing too much current?

(it happens, but pretty rarely and most of us have put in excessive capability from what actually gets used...)
    It happens to me when I forget to turn off the 3 phase compressor and it tries to start at the same time as the phase converter.

So here's another question, does the PP draw anything unless the machine attached is drawing something?

Thanks
    It does. If memory serves my 10HP Phase Perfect draws 375 watts when no machines are drawing a load. I actually have an alarm on my phone so that at 9PM I remember to check and see that it's off, so I don't draw that power overnight when forgetting to turn it off. I have one of my security cameras pointed at the digital display of one of the machines. If I see a readout, I forgot to turn off the PP.

That being said, it's not like that's a huge amount of energy. I just turn it off when not being used.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

PT10 uses 74w - 0.01c/hr, the American rotary AR20 says 0.06c/1hr which works out to around 300w. (@0.1855kwh)

Pulled info from PP and AR

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    It does. If memory serves my 10HP Phase Perfect draws 375 watts when no machines are drawing a load. I actually have an alarm on my phone so that at 9PM I remember to check and see that it's off, so I don't draw that power overnight when forgetting to turn it off. I have one of my security cameras pointed at the digital display of one of the machines. If I see a readout, I forgot to turn off the PP.

That being said, it's not like that's a huge amount of energy. I just turn it off when not being used.
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 03-06-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Dad has a giant phase convertor. It is capacitor start
    The capacitor bank looks like a 6 pack of Fosters.

IMG_0395.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    PT10 uses 74w - 0.01c/hr, the American rotary AR20 says 0.06c/1hr which works out to around 300w. (@0.1855kwh)

Pulled info from PP and AR
    I feel better now. Thanks, Mark. For some reason in my head that 375w figure got stuck.

Of course, 74 watts is about one floor of lighting in my house, so it's not nothing, but it's not 375. I'll forgive myself if I accidentally leave it on overnight.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.