Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop stool recommendations

Blog Entries
    I have a simple pneumatic version I believe was from Sears years ago. Adjustable from 17"-24". Soft. but no covering to tear. No rollers which I prefer for this application. Works well for me as I do a lot of work at my low assembly table.
    stool.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    You have plenty of implements of destruction that could adjust the height shorter easily. Taller is a bit harder.

I dont have a seat best I have is a short ladder I can sit on
    I actually have a normal height chair in the shop, too...I use that when I put my main bench down to the lowest level...desk height sorta...and that's very comfortable for detail work. But you are correct, I could adjust the height of the stool, although it would only be practical in one direction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the high Vyper. The one thing about it is that it rolls very easily. So easily in fact that when I sit, I always make sure it is still there I’m thinking of ordering the fixed feet for it as I have found the chair is rarely 10’ from the bench I mostly use so the mobility is not as important.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought the cheap Harbor Freight one. It works, but isn't very comfortable.

I looked at the Dewalt one, but for the price (~$150), I think I would rather buy a drafting chair with a back and adjustments. I have a couple in my office at work and they are good chairs. Plus, they are rated to 300 pounds, which is good because I am a big guy.

Blog Entries
    I like modern ones. I have never had a new one. They get more important every day.

IMG_0351.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

The horrible fright one just got recalled for breaking off at the post. I use an adult shower chair which is adjustable height. Cheap at garage sales and thrift stores.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-16-2022 at 12:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Bill, That shower chair with those handles on the side looks like it would be easy to keep under ones rear end, and light enough to scoot around on. Sometimes when I need to push or pull on a tool wheels are not helpful.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Your post has gotten me back into the Vyper site. I see they no longer offer the “fixed” feet for the chairs, but have locking casters. In their own description of the locking casters they say that their chairs “rolls TO easily”. That is true and while it is an excellent seat, it can really disappear on you.. I would strongly suggest you get a pair of them. I have just ordered a pair for my chair. Perhaps they include a set in the New product sale. I would try to get them on the original order

They must have a heck of a marketing budget. I went to there website last week and now every site im on seems to have vyper ads.

I have 2, 1 old and 1 much newer that I got a great price on over holiday season. The new one gives me higher seating at bench etc if desired.

chairs.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have too many stool and chairs

I have an old dental stool from my dad. It’s the same as the link below except I recovered mine in deer hide.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/15460993132...0AAOSwrQlhP7s7

I have two antique oak swivel chairs. I got one from the attic of a 1920’s era elementary school. I got the other from someone’s trash. An arm was broken but easy to fix.

I have a modern drafting stool from when my company was acquired and shut down.

I have two office swivel chairs.

I need to thin the herd.

I have a Colonial style turned leg wooden stool with a short back. Seat is about two inch's thick, and I cut the legs down about 4" to get it at the right height for my workbench. Picked it up somewhere for free(?). After 20 years or so, I treated it to a new lazy Susan swivel. I love the short back it has.

I also have a couple old office chairs that sit lower, my favorite being one from late 40's or so, that is all steel, and looks like it served in WWII. Only four legs on that one.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.