Thread: Walker turner dp restoration

Walker turner dp restoration

Started my first power tool restoration on a Walker Turner 15 inch drill press series 900 model 1-1140. Everything seems pretty straight forward except I can't find any good recommendations on how to clean and lubricate the bearings. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Why not buy new and be good for life?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Sorta along the lines of Jerry's comment...and perhaps this is what he actually meant...was to replace the bearings with new ones while you have the machine torn down. They are not expensive components and you know they will be top notch for a very long time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Some guys enjoy restoring machinery, Jerry.
    (cough) …owwm.org… (cough-cough)

Sorry I wasn't clear in my last post. Jim is right, I meant put new bearings in while you have it apart. In the time it takes to pull the shields/seals, clean, relube, and replace shields you could have the new bearings installed.

I think the older Walker Turner drill presses are cool looking machines. I'd like to see pictures of the finished project too.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Congrats! Depending on the age the bearings can be a non-standard size (my Walker Turner dates to 1935). You can see one apart for cleaning here- https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...er-drill-press
    Just a Duffer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Why not buy new and be good for life?
    Not always that easy. Some of the bearings used by W-T were made of unobtanium. (Not available any more)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear in my last post. Jim is right, I meant put new bearings in while you have it apart. In the time it takes to pull the shields/seals, clean, relube, and replace shields you could have the new bearings installed.

I think the older Walker Turner drill presses are cool looking machines. I'd like to see pictures of the finished project too.
    Hey Jerry, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Not always that easy. Some of the bearings used by W-T were made of unobtanium. (Not available any more)
    Walker-Turner Serviced Machinery in CT sells bearings for these presses if yours end up being a non-standard size. They do business only via email but you can send them your model number and serial number and they can quote you what is needed (won’t be cheap). PM me if you want their contact info.

Definitely looking for contact info. I would like to put in new or refurbished but I believe they will be hard to find. I believe the bearings for quill have an oversized inner ring.

Accurate Bearing has a lot of unusual bearing sizes. Details on finding bearings for older machines, and lots of people who have done it, are found as mentioned above, on owwm.org.

I believe NTN made some at one time. Problem you will have is the engraved number on the outer race is not correct. It is the number for a standard bearing with no mention of the extended inner race. That number is useful since it will give you the dimensions of the outer race
    I do not remember the particulars but there are two ways around the problem. Make a new bronze bushing. My solution was to get a bearing with a larger inner bore then make a top hat kind of sleeve to form the extended race. I think I had to enlarge the bore for the outer race inside the removable cover.
    I saw some for sale later for under $60 each.
    Bill D
    Bill D