Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compact dust/chip collection solution?

Well after some head scratching and work with a tape measure, I figured out where I could mount one of the Oneida Supercell vacs, and get a 220V circuit ran to it, without a bunch of sheet rock rock repairs. I think that is the best machine for my garage. I can place it centrally, where all I need to do is move the hose from the wall unit to whatever machine I use. This is a bit simpler than wheeling my Jet unit all over the place, to only end up distributing fine dust all over the place. 3K is more than I had in mind when I asked the question, but I think this decision will be worth it in the end.

Thanks for the help spending money....

Sounds like a good solution for you, Michael. The SuperCell is a pretty kewel machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On a budget you might consider an array of MERV 13 furnace filters with a box fan. In the summer I roll my inexpensive 110 votl DC out into the driveway to collect chips with my planer or jointer. In the winter I use a system like this that can generally get my shop airquality back down to moderate or good within ten minutes of finishing with the jointer or planer.

Basically wear a mask. let the DC collect the chips, and then run this until the AQ is good again. I acutally use a box fan instead of the monster fan....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixd7LqnWow

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Well after some head scratching and work with a tape measure, I figured out where I could mount one of the Oneida Supercell vacs, and get a 220V circuit ran to it, without a bunch of sheet rock rock repairs. I think that is the best machine for my garage. I can place it centrally, where all I need to do is move the hose from the wall unit to whatever machine I use. This is a bit simpler than wheeling my Jet unit all over the place, to only end up distributing fine dust all over the place. 3K is more than I had in mind when I asked the question, but I think this decision will be worth it in the end.

Michael, I went through a similar process over the past week. I previously had an Oneida V-3000 with 6" duct work run to each tool. Sold that shop and now am putting together a small set of benchtop tools to satisfy an itch until I have a place for a larger shop one day. I tried to put together my own cyclone setup but ended up with incompatible pieces. After some more reading and looking, I ended up ordering the Oneida Mini-Gorilla. My setup for now will be a single bench with multiple smaller tools used on it so the mobile factor was appealing since my shop is now a gym and family hang out room. Down the road, I'm hopeful to have a dedicated 10' x 20' shop building but it is serving another purpose at the moment. Anyway, I ordered the Mini-Gorilla via a Woodcraft store which avoided shipping charges. Hoping it comes in this Friday but we will see. From what I can tell, it looks like a mini version of the V3000 I had.

Keep us posted if you order the Supercell as I also considered them, but decided the budget was too much for what I'm actually using it for now. But I'm curious if it would have been a better approach for a small shop. Good luck and look forward to your feedback. Regards.

I didn't really understand your initial question . Fix the dust everywhere issue , or a new DC suggestion ? If your old Jet needs to be the choice for a while - sounds like you still have bags on it . Upgrade w/ a cannister filter and get an air scrubber on the ceiling . If your looking at a new DC , the Supercell is one of the great choices out there .

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post

Keep us posted if you order the Supercell as I also considered them, but decided the budget was too much for what I'm actually using it for now. But I'm curious if it would have been a better approach for a small shop. Good luck and look forward to your feedback. Regards.
    I ordered the Supercell yesterday. I was told they make them after order, so expect it to ship in about 4 weeks. That will work out for me, as I need to cut some sheet rock out, run new conductors to boxes and install a couple new 220V receptacles in the garage. One for the Supercell, and a second to have a spare.

I'll update with thoughts and info after I get the machine and have time to play with it.

I got a shipping notice from Oneida and UPS. I was not expecting it to ship for a month.

What's not to like about that?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post

Thats going to make a great system for you.

Its hard to pull the trigger investing so much in DC solution. But.... its going to be super satisfying when you get it up and going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What's not to like about that?
    Nothing at all.... Just means I can't procrastinate any longer, and finish my current project so I can "organize" and figure out exactly where to mount the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Thats going to make a great system for you.

Its hard to pull the trigger investing so much in DC solution. But.... its going to be super satisfying when you get it up and going.
    I sure hope so. I still need to upgrade my jointer. This money was going to go towards that. But dealing with dust has really gotten quite irritating to me anymore. Kinda takes the fun out of making stuff..... But I know folks spend a heck of a lot more than three grand on their shop systemes. I know a fella how spent almost 15K in pipe alone, so knowing that makes me feel frugal.....