Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact dust/chip collection solution?

Compact dust/chip collection solution?

I've been using a small Jet dust collector for years. I role it around and connect my different machines with 4" hoses and quick couplers. I've just dealt with dust everywhere because this only works marginally well. It does fill up 30 gallon bags on a good weekend..... Other than that, dust all over the place.. I'd like to improve on this situation, but do not have much room for a killer set up.

I have a spot in my garage, in a corner I can get to for periodic bag/chip removal. Footprint is roughly, 24" deep by 48" in width. 7.5' ceiling height. This is a corner to one side of an overhead door. This is the only place where I can route some 6" duct overhead to an area over my table saw.

I admittingly have avoided researching dust collection set ups, because I have avoided getting carried away with a system install in a garage, that will only get yanked out when I move in a couple years.

Any ideas that might work, or where I should focus my research?

24*48 space is enough to fit in a cyclone or double bag DC. My original plan was to keep DC in shop in a corner, in similar space.

I looked at various DC that KMS tools (Canada) carries and was surprised that many don't have big footprint. All DCs I looked at had 6" inlet.

If you look at cyclones, then many don't have large footprint but require higher ceiling height. IIRC Laguna cyclones have shorter height.

Lok at the Harvey Gyro line. There have been several recent threads about it.

I have a similar amount of space, also in a garage.

I have a wall-mounted 1HP dust collector. Empties into a 30gallon metal bin with a cheap dust separator lid. Intake on the separator is split to 2x4" ports with blast gates. One goes to the table saw and can be moved to other things in the area with a quick-connect. The other port gets used when I fire up the planer which is on a mobile cart that I move closer to the separator. I will also attach a hand wand for shop cleanup.

The exhaust from the separator is routed out through the wall so I don't have to deal with a HEPA filter (saved space and money). Doing this is divisive. But suffice to say my furnace is in another room and is a closed combustion unit. My water heater is also in another room, and I've had the HVAC guys confirm that I'm not reversing the draft on the chimney.

This setup works for me, especially because it's somewhat temporary. Eventually we'll be moving or adding on which includes space for a formal shop (at which point I may in fact be looking at something like the Harvey G700). Downside is that it really will only run on one machine at a time, with limited amount of duct work. For that reason I also bought a Festool AC26 which moves around the shop to handle smaller tools (track saw, sander, drill press). If I were to upgrade now, would probably go to a 2HP unit and a real cyclone, but haven't seen the need to do so.

If I were going to start from scratch, and had a real budget, I'd be looking at the Oneida SuperCell: https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...collector-230v. However that would work for me since I only have a few 4" tools, not a lot of fixed ductwork, and I like the idea of a machine which has the ability to also handle the fine dust from hand tools.

If you want to really get in the weeds, check out Bill Pentz's website.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 02-12-2022 at 6:04 PM.

Hi Anuj,
    I have a CWI 2hp with short cyclone. Pretty generic. I connect like you do and it works pretty well. Very little dust and a vast improvement to my shop. I plan to add a ceiling mount air cleaner before too long. Once our renovations are done, I may make a closet or try venting it outside.
    The cream of the crop seem to be Clearvue ( Alberta dealer I think) or Oneida.
    I’ve read the Pentz site. You’ll be afraid to cut a board inside when you’re done lol! It’s very informative.
    Best regards,
    David

oops. I though Anuj was the original poster. I’ll try harder to pay attention…
    Last edited by David Publicover; 02-12-2022 at 6:47 PM.

Thanks for the input. I had no idea 'smallish' cyclone type systems even existed. The Oneida machine is pretty nice. I watched the video at the link.

One additional issue I did not think to mention though, is I'm limited to 110V. These machines appear to be mostly 220V.

7. I have a wall mounted 1HP and ordered a hepa filter from grizzly to retrofit on. If you have the 30 micron dust bag on your jet, you are blowing a lot of dust back around. Also my observation is it kind of depends in the tool's own dc stuff, if you have a contractor TS you are just going to have a bunch of dust. Or track saw vs regular circle saw, I have the Makita 18v 6.25" circular and I don't think you could ever collect more than about 60% of its dust on a good day.

What machines are you trying to collect from?

I am currently using a Unisaw, but have a Hammer slider on order. I have also ordered a Laguna 18bx bandsaw. Both of those machines have 4" dust ports. Then I have a 13" Rigid planer, router table, 6" Jet jointer and a 16/32" drum sander. All those have 4" dust ports too. I use a Festool dust extractor for my hand held tools, at least the tools with dust collection. All this is stuffed into my garage and on casters. The garage is roughly 26' wide X 24' deep. The Jet dust collector is a 3/4 HP dust distributor and chip collector....lol... I think almost anything would be an improvement.

That cyclone unit would work well, but again, I do not have 220V in that corner of the garage I had planned to keep a stationary dust collector. I could install another 220V receptacle in the garage, but it would be on a different wall/location. If I can't make a worthwhile improvement with a 110V unit, where I am planning to place it, then I'll need to re-think this idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I am currently using a Unisaw, but have a Hammer slider on order. I have also ordered a Laguna 18bx bandsaw. Both of those machines have 4" dust ports. Then I have a 13" Rigid planer, router table, 6" Jet jointer and a 16/32" drum sander. All those have 4" dust ports too. I use a Festool dust extractor for my hand held tools, at least the tools with dust collection. All this is stuffed into my garage and on casters. The garage is roughly 26' wide X 24' deep. The Jet dust collector is a 3/4 HP dust distributor and chip collector....lol... I think almost anything would be an improvement.

That cyclone unit would work well, but again, I do not have 220V in that corner of the garage I had planned to keep a stationary dust collector. I could install another 220V receptacle in the garage, but it would be on a different wall/location. If I can't make a worthwhile improvement with a 110V unit, where I am planning to place it, then I'll need to re-think this idea....
    You could look at the Oneida MiniGorilla (https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...dust-collector) which comes in 110V. But the issue there is still that it may be a mobile solution from tool to tool. If you wanted to keep it stationary you'd have to run the numbers with the amount of duct work you'd plan to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    You could look at the Oneida MiniGorilla (https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...dust-collector) which comes in 110V. But the issue there is still that it may be a mobile solution from tool to tool. If you wanted to keep it stationary you'd have to run the numbers with the amount of duct work you'd plan to have.
    Thanks for the link. That would be better than what I have.

Thanks for the input. I had no idea 'smallish' cyclone type systems even existed. The Oneida machine is pretty nice. I watched the video at the link.

One additional issue I did not think to mention though, is I'm limited to 110V. These machines appear to be mostly 220V.
    V3000 is 220v. Keep in mind that you will have to go with 35 gallon drum. With 55 gallon, height is more than 7.5'.

Oneida makes a 110v version. I think model number is V1500.

If you can swing it, get 220v installed.

Well seeing how I am the electrician, I can swing it. It'll just have to be on a different wall, so I need to figure out if I can live with the collector in that location. I'd have to use a single hose and move it to each machine, similarly to how I do things today.

I had to shoot Oneida an email to get a shipping quote (always an expensive problem living in Alaska). I think that wall mounted Supercell with a 15 gallon bucket is the way to go.

The Harvey unit also looks like a dandy, but the suction pipe orientation will not work out in my garage.

UPS 'ground' for the Oneida Supercell..... $420

I need to sleep on this.....

Yea, it's very heavy...and you live in "that place"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

UPS 'ground' for the Oneida Supercell..... $420

I need to sleep on this.....

Wow and I thought we had it bad in BC.

I ordered from Tegs Tool (east coast). Initially they charged CAD 215 for shipping (auto calculated online) but real quote came around CAD 450. They were pretty good about it, and they offered to split the difference. All in I paid ~ CAD 330 for shipping.

When I was ordering, I called some dealers in North BC as well. Their quotes were similar. Check with BC and Yukon based dealers, just in case buying from Canada is cheaper.